BC Racing Coilovers *UPDATED UPDATE* run in and new settings

Started by ChrisGB, November 12, 2007, 22:09

ChrisGB

So now the shocks have "run in" and are moving more freely, I felt it time to start looking at the damping settings again.

The initial results look good. Going from a 2 front 3 rear setting to a 4 front 6 rear setting has resulted in a slightly firmer ride but with much better wheel control. Bumps are now slightly more sharply defined, but the decay of wheel movement much shorter than before, so secondary ride quality is much improved. Where new, this would have been a very harsh setup, it is now very liveable (or my arse has toughened up). It is also subjectively firmer but more comfortable than the lower settings due to quicker wheel movement decay.

Pushing things up to 6 front 8 rear improved wheel movement control a little more, but now also starts to show a little more harshenss, still streetable though. There is now no feeling that the shocks are slowing the springs down.

These stiffer settings result in a more solid body control and improved stability at speed on smoother corners. They also smooth out transitions as the car settles on first load with substantially reduced rebound. The car does now fidget a bit more over some broken surfaces and is just starting to hop on low speed potholes mid corner, but many of the rippled and ridged bends around here now ride with less disturbance than on the stock shocks or these at the softer settings at higher speeds. I may need to back off a bit for optimum road setup yet. Will run a few days with it stiff and see how it goes.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Jaik

Always good to read your updates, Chris  s:) :) s:)  Good to hear how they change as they bed in as it's not something you get from most write-ups!

ChrisGB

Re:
Quote from: "Jaik"Always good to read your updates, Chris  s:) :) s:)  Good to hear how they change as they bed in as it's not something you get from most write-ups!

Now the weather has warmed up and the shocks settled in fully, I am running 8 front 16 rear. Works well, nice control, firm ride.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

kentsmudger

Digging up an old thread I know, but - Do you still have these fitted and still happy with them, and if changed, why?

Thanks
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kentsmudger"Digging up an old thread I know, but - Do you still have these fitted and still happy with them, and if changed, why?

Thanks

Still have them fitted, still happy with them. Had one front fail after a heavy impact with a very nasty pot hole, so a new pair on the front now.

The spring rates work well with the V6 in the back too, with the dampers offering excellent control of the now closely coupled powertrain and body shell weight.

kentsmudger

Excellent, thank you !

s:D :D s:D
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: