Hood Straps

Started by Anonymous, June 13, 2003, 08:04

Anonymous

I think this got covered on the old forum, but I didn't care then.   s:) :) s:)  
When the hood is down I get kinda ears at the back corners where some straps are supposed to pull the hood in.
Thought I'd sussed it last night cos I found the strap and reattached it but it's still doesn't pull my "ears" in.  Anyone know anything?

Cheers
J

Anonymous

Here ya are mate - think this is what your after:

m http://www.euroroadster.com/articles/Sh ... Straps.xml m

Anonymous

Just the ticket - Ta.  It lasted 3 months before it fell apart - Toyota quality   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

J

Anonymous

Just hope you dont have to order a part from them... 3 weeks!   s:o :o s:o    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

How long does it take you to tuck the ears in?...about a few seconds surely.

Anonymous

Ahhhh....but Craig.....you shouldn't HAVE to........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Exactly!

If my central locking broke it would only take me a few seconds to stick the key in and unlock the car manually, but I'd still get it fixed.

--H--

Anonymous

Fair point...but....

Have you seen how shite a MX5 or MG looks with their roof down...and the hastle they have to go to.

We can pop our roof, and only have to tuck a couple of ears in...easy.

Please don't flame me   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ...I am just as much as a perfectionist as you guys

Anonymous

Ahh, but think about all that extra drag the ears create   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Of course that's true.  The point is that there are a couple of tabs, that can be easily fitted it they come undone, that pull the "ears" in when you drop the roof.

BTW, not that I think it's a huge hassle to drop the roof on the '2, but you do have to lower the windows, flip the sun visors, undo the catches, drop the roof, tuck the back down, clip the front in, slide your (and the passenger's) seat forward to flip the wind delector up, slide the seats back...

It's more hassle than MX-5 owners, for example, have to go through to drop their roof, so I'm not quite sure what you point is about "the hassle they have to go through".

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"slide your (and the passenger's) seat forward to flip the wind delector up, slide the seats back...

Just leave it up all the time - its not exactly huge is it!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Don't worry Craig. Was only kidding! I know what you mean. My cousin still has an MX-5 and he hardly EVER puts the roof down cos he said it was WAY too much hassle to unzip the rear window, then tuck in various bits a bobs....he just can't be bothered.......

And 'Core, doesn't the manual say that you are not supposed to open and lock the car without the plipper?  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Yep, we've got some friends with an Mx5 - they can pretty much drop theirs on the move, or at least at some lights, only bad thing is they can't put it up without getting out of the car when it starts raining like we can   s:D :D s:D  

J

Anonymous

OKOKOK.

Anyway, not sure who gave the following advice...but thanks.

Last night I drove into my garage and thought I would try a complete roof up from sitting in the drivers seat.

So right hand over to unclip, left hand over to the drivers corner to grab the exposed corner, then right hand over to lift from the middle, and clip in place....was WELL impressed with managing to do this first time.

Just a shame that I cant manage to roof down from the drivers side...pesky ears

Anonymous

I put the wind deflector down as I often chuck stuff (jacket etc) on the back shelf when the roof's up and the deflector gets in the way a bit.

As for MX-5's, well I've only seen the newer ones with the glass rear window so I can't really comment on this zipping business!  Sounds like a chore though.

I have no idea about not unlocking the doors manually, but if you're not supposed to then why bother having key holes on the doors at all??

I'm curious Craig, how were you putting your roof back up before you tried the method from the drivers seat?  I've never put my roof up any other way, just reach around pop the clip and pull the roof up and over.

--H--

Anonymous

I don't know 'Core. The holes are there for something, but the manual explicitly says not to try and lock or unlick the door with the key! Seems daft to me!

And Craig, not sure how you were doing it before, but I CAN'T put the roof up from outside the car. Only from sitting in the drivers seat and reaching over and pulling up. Dead easy. I finid ot more difficult to put the roof DOWN from the drivers seat cos the roof material is a bit stiff if it isn't too warm and it never sits properly first time. Always have to push the rear window in and down a little bit.

Anonymous

Yet again I agree with John (people will start to talk...), you really have to get out of the car to put the roof down properly, unless it's been sitting in direct sunlight for a while and has really warmed up, then sometimes you can just throw it down over your shoulder.

I can't imagine how to easily put the roof up from outside the car, seems like more hassle than it's worth!

I've not read the bit in the manual about not unlocking the doors manually, although I have noticed that the exterior door handle/lock unit is nicked straight from the Celica so that might explain the retention of the redundant key holes.

--H--

Anonymous

Mine is getting easier...it was very stiff and difficult to pull up when we first got it...so I have always pulled it from outside...never tried inside.

It was also difficult to clip it down at first...I guess it gets easier the more it goes up and down (the roof).

Anonymous

Mine's still pretty stiff (f'narr, f'narr) when it's cold but I'm sure they do ease up a bit in time.  The thing that makes a real difference is the temperature, the hotter it is the easier it is to put  the roof down.

--H--

Anonymous

Yeah clipping it down was a bit of a problem. It still is sometimes, especially when it is cold. And the hood doesn't sit completely flat when it is cold either. Nearly, but not quite.

As for putting the roof up, surely that would actaully quite awkward and also a little detrimental to the hood, as if you are outside the car, when you are pulling up, there is going to be a little lateral pulling, meaning that the roof is also going to come slightly sideways. Over time, this may actually cause damage. But that may also well be BS! if its been working for you so far Craig, then who am I to argue!

And the keyholes? Maybe you are right 'Core. I haven't seen the Celica ones up close (well, I haven't looked at them anyway), so there maybe something in that. I would imagine it would be ok to use them in emergencies for instance, but nothing more. The manual will tell you off otherwise!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

We are going to have stop agreeing. Not good for reputations really is it?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Dammit!  Stop being so smart and I'll stop agreeing with you!  The point about lateral movement in the roof when raising it from outside the car is probably right.  I guess that's why there is that pull handle in the centre of the leading edge of the roof, so that you can pull it up straight, from inside the car.

--H--

Anonymous

TA DAAAAAAA!!!!!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Craig, thinking about this a little more, I would probably think about raising your roof from inside from now on. All the pulling from outside might cause the joints of the roof to become worn over time and may loosen the roof.

Maybe......  s:? :? s:?  

'Core. I am going to try and find somethig to disagree with you now, just to prove I ain't that smart!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

I disagree with all of you!.

Na, not really, I am going to miss this forum over the next two weeks, but then again, I will be either sat by the pool or driving my Mum's boat in 85+ degree heat in Cyprus.

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"'Core. I am going to try and find somethig to disagree with you now, just to prove I ain't that smart!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
I agree with you again, you aint that smart.

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"I disagree with all of you!.

Na, not really, I am going to miss this forum over the next two weeks, but then again, I will be either sat by the pool or driving my Mum's boat in 85+ degree heat in Cyprus.

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  alright for some! Hay, i may even have my '2 back by the time you get back from holiday... then again....   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: