Hood Straps

Started by Anonymous, June 13, 2003, 08:04

Anonymous

QuoteI disagree with all of you!.

Na, not really, I am going to miss this forum over the next two weeks, but then again, I will be either sat by the pool or driving my Mum's boat in 85+ degree heat in Cyprus.

LUCKY SOD!!! Disagree all you like, see if we care......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

QuoteI agree with you again, you aint that smart.

HAH! You got me there.................bugger........  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I never get out of the car to put the roof up or down.  It can easily be done at up tp 30 mph if you get caught out in the rain.  All I do if it is cold is to push the window down onto the engine cover & the rest follows (even the ears).  
I do agree that it wont fold completely flat like this, but hey its good enough for me when I am only going to work!

Anonymous

And i find that it dosent shut to well infact at all, when you make a Sub box to bloddy big and dont pay attenstion to the " dont load obove this line" sticker. Make the box Cover it in Vinal power the sub up sound teh dogs swinging bits And when the sun come out NO roof down for me then   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Oh well we all make our mistakes   s:P :P s:P   It was my first attepmt on the 2 tho so forgiveness can be given i think   s8) 8) s8)

zud

mmm, very worrying!  I tend to agree with most of John's posts too... and I've also noticed he's an ex Selespeed driver and Radiohead fan!  If he starts posting about golf and motor cruisers I'll start thinking I've got a long lost brother!!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

zud

But back on topic!....  I bought my '2 at about a year old, and found the hood strap in the luggage bin.  I fitted the strap (correctly I think!), but I've still got ears.  I thought a couple of months worth of tucking the ears in might "train" the hood to tuck them in with the straps... but no luck.  Anyone got any suggestions how i can get the ears to tuck in automatically?

As others have said it's not a huge problem, and my MX5-driving mate is well impressed with the 2's hood, but it'd be a bonus if I didn't have to tuck them in.  Any ideas?

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"But back on topic!....  I bought my '2 at about a year old, and found the hood strap in the luggage bin.  I fitted the strap (correctly I think!), but I've still got ears.  I thought a couple of months worth of tucking the ears in might "train" the hood to tuck them in with the straps... but no luck.  Anyone got any suggestions how i can get the ears to tuck in automatically?

As others have said it's not a huge problem, and my MX5-driving mate is well impressed with the 2's hood, but it'd be a bonus if I didn't have to tuck them in.  Any ideas?

try HERE

Anonymous

Quotemmm, very worrying! I tend to agree with most of John's posts too... and I've also noticed he's an ex Selespeed driver and Radiohead fan! If he starts posting about golf and motor cruisers I'll start thinking I've got a long lost brother!!

Doh! My identity is out!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Heh heh.....I only had use of a Selespeed for a little while. Was not bad. Still prefer a manual. And have been a Radiohead fan from the very beginning. Missed out on two gigs BEFORE Creep was released as a single cos I was revising for finals at Uni, but my mate went cos he finished his way before I did and he has NEVER let me live that one down EVER! I am SOOOOO jealous! Seen them since, but would have been great to say "I was there" before they hit the big time.

Heard a bit of the new album this weekend. It getting there again!!! Lets hope that the NEXT album is a blinder in the mould of "Ok" and "Bends"......

zud

Wow!  I bow to your superior Radiohead-fan-ness!!!  I thought I was an early fan... from the first time I heard Creep on the radio.  What makes me laugh is that in those early days the press seemed to give them stick about being too far up their own @r$es.  Then the press were all over them once they produced (IMHO) a couple of self-indulgant albums!!

I thinked I've missed seeing Radiohead live now though, so I'm very jealous... I've given up on the big venues (wembley, MK etc), and try to catch bands while they're still playing places like the Brixton Acedemy.

zud

Thanks Kris, that was the site that originally sent me looking for the strap.  As far as I can see I fitted the strap properly, but 3-ish months later it still hasn't started to "train the hoods shape over time".
I think it helps to hold the ears in once I've tucked them in myself, but it won't pull them in for me.  Never mind, hardly a big deal!

Anonymous

Its strange that you have the ears even after fitting the straps correctly. If you come to JAE, maybe one of the guys there that know the car inside out could have a look?!?

Anonymous

QuoteWow! I bow to your superior Radiohead-fan-ness!!! I thought I was an early fan... from the first time I heard Creep on the radio. What makes me laugh is that in those early days the press seemed to give them stick about being too far up their own @r$es. Then the press were all over them once they produced (IMHO) a couple of self-indulgant albums!!

I thinked I've missed seeing Radiohead live now though, so I'm very jealous... I've given up on the big venues (wembley, MK etc), and try to catch bands while they're still playing places like the Brixton Acedemy.

Heh heh......a bit on the oder side me..........

I agree with what you are saying though. If you listen to Pablo Honey now, it is actually a really good album cos it has proper songs on it. Same as Bends and Ok. But the other stuff since has been REALLY hard work. Pablo was raw, if a little "indie" of the time (probably thier biggest criticism) and the Bends and Ok were them being proper musicians instead of playing to a style. Amnesiac and Kid A......well, just weird (although there are some good things on them).

Last time I saw Radiohead was on their "tent" tour when they were promoting Kid A. FANTASTIC stuff. Small, homemade venue (no more than about 2000 in there) and they played a really good mixture of old and new. Thier latest British tour was small gigs too, but they sold out in 5 mins! So, I see where you are coming from. I would go and see them though. They ARE very good live.......

zud

Quote from: "John Woodward"Heh heh......a bit on the oder side me..........

I wish!!!... I was revising for my finals in '86....  by '92/'93(?) I was too busy being a Dad to go to gigs!    

Never mind, I still feel young when I'm in the '2!!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Bloody hell! Ok, you beat me there Zud! Still, I do feel old compared to a lot of this lot on here!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

What a job logging in, this site that site, anyway now I'm logged on.

For the record, I have recently had a new hood fitted under warranty. The hood straps are still there but not as you know them. There is now only one strap, where the other strap was there is now a spring which is attached to roof bar. This does the same job as before possibly with a bit more tension.

Anonymous

Try some of that AutoGlym (or other) hood care stuff.  Mine is much more flexible now and the ears kinda work better too.
It's horrible greasy stuff though so make sure you don't get it everywhere.

J

Tem

Quote from: "Jimbob"Try some of that AutoGlym (or other) hood care stuff.  Mine is much more flexible now and the ears kinda work better too.
It's horrible greasy stuff though so make sure you don't get it everywhere.

If you don't wanna leave it greasy, do it before washing the car. Let it dry a bit in the sun and then water the top...all the "extra" grease comes off and just leaves a clean&black top  s:) :) s:)  After that you need to wash the car though as the sides have greaselines...

One extra pro is that you won't get those greasy marks after the first rain anymore.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Chris

Quote from: "cartell", where the other strap was there is now a spring which is attached to roof bar. This does the same job as before possibly with a bit more tension.

That's interesting, sounds as if mr t have redesigned the roof; wonder why it didn't get fitted to the 03?  I can't imagine that the roof ears are a big enough problem for them to change the design on mid-production...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Hi there

I've just got my roadster and have just found this thread about the ears. I've got a strap which dangles down from the passeger side of the hood but doesn't seem to go anywhere. Where should i route it? I've tried following the links above but they are broken.

roger

Some photos on here....http://www.spydermagazine.com/

TBH I reckon it might be easier to contact an owner near you so you can compare yours with the correct one. A location in your profile could assist.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Thanks for link.

I've added my location now  s:D :D s:D

Silverman

My hood strap arrangement was undone and ineffective and not able to tidy the ears 'as advertised', when I bought the car from a MrT and well inside the 3rd warranty year.  Two MrT's saw fit to call a company Assessor, who didn't argue with my complaint but who didn't give me much encouragement either.  After a great deal of correspondence, photo's etc, 'head office' told me all was well and they weren't going to provide a new hood.  In fact, the hood is sound, but it doesn't do the job it should (ears) and it can look 'lumpy' at the sides when up.  Also they cannot fix the problem.  These lumps could lead to wear holes, IMHO.  At the time we had a member who reported having several new hoods fitted and replaced under warranty, and I wonder if this contributed to the very hard line I experienced?  I feel they did not meet their responsibilities.   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Tags: