Oil Cooler - Picture request.

Started by Anonymous, December 23, 2003, 07:25

Anonymous

Gentlemen,

As you know, we MR2 owners across the pond are struggling with an epidemic of engine failures. By my count, Spyderchat has logged 41 engine failures to date. In my attempt to dodge that bullet, I've decided to install an oil cooler as a preventive measure. What I did not know untill recently was that the UK MR2 Roadsters had the oil cooler standard. Would someone be so kind as to take a picture of your oil cooler for me?

Many thanks

markiii

I will scan you the relevant pages from the BGB tonight.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

http://www.angelfire.com/space/mr-s/gt300specpage.html

I have a picture of it on this link

GSB

I've never seen this, (although to be frank I've never looked - and as its raining at the moment I'm not looking now!) I knew it was there, although for some reason I always assumed it was water rather than air cooled. Is this the same unit as fitted to the UK car? Where is the radiator located?

Picture from Adams website, lots of good stuff on there BTW!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mr2spyderman"What I did not know untill recently was that the UK MR2 Roadsters had the oil cooler standard.

FWIW, I have the stock cooler as well and my engine still blew. There are at least two other MR2's in Finland with blown engine (possibly more, I don't know)...which is kinda lot, since we only have 22 Roadster here in the first place (all years included).

There were also cases on the german board and I'm pretty sure they have the cooler as well (so far all EU/UK cars have been identical, except some dealer/importer fit stuff).
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Jap,
Ecotek Power Valve: what's this tool for? It does be installed between PCV hose and TB?
Spyderman,
Euro MR2 has a stock oil to water oil cooler. Oil temp is good ( <= 100/110 ° C) if you rev your engine up to 4000 r/m; when you stay beyond this limit for a while ( i.e. mountain streets, track) temp get higher until 125°C. I have an air oil cooler also. So, the necessity to install it depends on use of your car.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Maurizio
P.S. I have forgotten: go to  w www.thinkauto.co.uk w  to get your oil-cooler

Tem

Quote from: "Maurizio"Ecotek Power Valve: what's this tool for?

m http://www.ecotekplc.com/ m
"It works by creating turbulence in the inlet manifold thus improving the combustion process; this means that it reduces emissions, improves fuel consumption and maximises engine performance."  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

...and a measured 0.4hp increase...? ...uh... ...huh... ...won't say more...

Anonymous

Thanks TEM
Merry Christmas to all
Maurizio

Jap GT300

Quote from: "Tem"...and a measured 0.4hp increase

I know, I know, I know.  We all have our reasons

mph

Quote from: "GSB"I've never seen this, (although to be frank I've never looked - and as its raining at the moment I'm not looking now!) I knew it was there, although for some reason I always assumed it was water rather than air cooled. Is this the same unit as fitted to the UK car? Where is the radiator located?

Picture from Adams website, lots of good stuff on there BTW!
The UK spec oil cooler is water based, fitting inline above the oil filter.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Jap GT300

The oil cooler shown on my site is one that was being sold as part of a group buy on SC.  It is not the UK one.  I think imr2 or Blitzo still sell the kit.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Maurizio"Jap,
Ecotek Power Valve: what's this tool for? It does be installed between PCV hose and TB?
Spyderman,
Euro MR2 has a stock oil to water oil cooler. Oil temp is good ( <= 100/110 ° C) if you rev your engine up to 4000 r/m; when you stay beyond this limit for a while ( i.e. mountain streets, track) temp get higher until 125°C. I have an air oil cooler also. So, the necessity to install it depends on use of your car.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Maurizio
P.S. I have forgotten: go to  w www.thinkauto.co.uk w  to get your oil-cooler

I'm very interested,   s:D :D s:D  I drive a lot on mountain roads (for fun) and the fan is always blowing. I would like very much to improve cooling. I'm gonna mount a turbo and for that I'm going also to need more cooling.
  Can you give more details of your instalation? Model? Place?Photos?Effectiveness?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
 How do you guys compare the effectiveness (in cooling) of an oil cooler versus a water wetter?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Merry christmas to you, guys  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

The UK MR2 has a stock oil cooler?  That's news to me...

Tried to find it but couldn't...

Tem

Quote from: "Emmanuel"Tried to find it but couldn't...

Were you looking for "intercooler" lookalike..? It's not like that...

It's "under" the oil filter, the filter is screwed on it. The width is about the same as the filter, but it's a bit shorter. There are 2 rubber hoses connected to it, not really sure, but I assume water is running through the cooler by those.

Anonymous

Thanks for that Tem, I'm off to check it...

Tags: