Both rear lights blown?

Started by zud, November 28, 2007, 10:38

zud

A chap stopped me on the way to work today to tell me I had no rear lights.  The brake lights still work.

It seems too much of a coincidence for both bulbs to blow(?)  And I don't recall any previous cars having both lights on the same fuse.

I'm hoping to get away from work early enough to have a look tonight.  and I'll start by checking the bulbs.  But any thoughts or tips after that would be much appreciated.

One other thought... I've removed the panels from either side of the behind-seats-storage (To fit golf clubs)... Could I have disturbed something there?
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

roger

I doubt removing the panels would do anything, maybe forcing your clubs in (or them moving) might in theory, but why just these two lights?

Certainly check the fuses. The box you can see in the dashboard when you open the passenger door. Tail 1 and Tail 2. There is also the tail light control relay (Tail), that would do both lights. Could be that and a continuity test appears to be the only way to check that out.

Then the bulbs themselves and the fitting. May have worked loose, but again, both? Unless of course you have had one out for a long time, and the second has only just gone.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I had both front lights go at the same time years ago on my mk1, was just both bulbs, check fuses and bulbs first.

cclarke99

The fuses and relay also feed your number plate lights so if they're working then it has to be the bulbs.

ChrisGB

Not uncommon for bulbs to go in quick succession. You don't notice one, then the other blows. Most likely scenario and cheap to fix.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Agree with the above, that the bulbs are the likeliest cause - they have a design life and are likely to blow around the same time, having been used in exactly the same way.
Slightly off topic but I used to be involved with pumping systems where there were 2 pumps on each system - one duty and one standby. The idea was that if the duty pump failed for any reason, the standby pump could be used. Then someone thought that it was a waste to have a pump (the standby one) sitting there doing nothing & started switching them round - one week each as duty pump, one week as standby, so they clocked up the same hours use. Guess what - they failed within days of each other, and no functioning pump was available. The design life was just that - xx hours and that`s it.
 Perhaps it`s the same as your bulbs.

kanujunkie

in theory they should fail at the same point as the wire in the bulb was origionally from the same reel. As the bulb is used which in theory should be at the same rate as each other the wire looses thickness as electrons are thrown out in the form of light/heat. Eventually the wire gets down to the point where it no longer has the ability to cope with the current and then blows
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

i have a similar problem to this buts it the headlight and rear light that have gone on the passenger side at the same time.

Could this be a fuse problem? are the headlights and rear lights on the same fuse for each side

i havent got the car with me at the mo but was wondering if any1 had a similar problem with the lights goin out on just 1 side.

cclarke99

I've had a look through the circuits and I can't see any connection between the circuits for headlamp & tail lamp on the same side. Although my diagrams relate to the US car with DRL, I don't think this will make much difference in this case, so probably just a coincidence that they've both failed at the same time.

Anonymous

cheers mate will check the bulbs etc when i get the car bak

Anonymous

I just had this problem. Just check fuses and replace bulbs.

Tags: