Your comments please (generic O2s)

Started by spit, December 9, 2007, 15:47

footslog

Quote from: "Markb"Bought a DOX 0204 for my Rav4 yesterday....£55 from Amazon......Opie oils are doing them as well at that price.

Thanks for the tip Markb, just ordered one from Amazon.

CrazySX

Just bought mine from Rock Auto in the states, bargain! Lets see if i get hit with duty   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

CrazySX

Ok so got the sensors yesterday and paid nothing else!! Bargain of the century!

CrazySX

Fitted them today and well erm.. i dunno what to say.

good points: car idles nice, quieter through the revs, easier to take of, bo flat spot low down the revs, smoother driving. Very quiet on idle.

Bad points: not sure the above are good points! Feels like i lost 25bhp along with the torque! The car was like a wild stallion before and now like a tame puppy  s:( :( s:(

I am going to see what sort of MPG gains i get and if they are not massive the knackered sensors are going back in!!! Or better still bungs!

yiug412

Would resetting the ECU help?

Louis

insx

Any opinions on this cheap and cheerful one from China?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/89465-52050-O ... 234fbd95d4 m

stewart@boro

touch and barge pole come to mind
Only my opinion though  s:) :) s:)
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

stargazer30

My recently purchased MR2 had 3 x ebay copy's lamdas.   Wires professionally soldered onto the OEM plugs and insulated.

The CAT sensor failed 1 week after I bought it.  Heater broke and then iffy readings.  Replaced with Denso.
The Mani sensors so far are okay, but I have had heater and slow response codes for one of them which cleared themselves after I fixed the cat sensor.

At £35 each I'd say pay the extra £30 for densos.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

insx

CrazySX, how did your cheapies from Rock Auto hold up?

insx

I just bought a Denso DOX-0204 on ebay from Opie Oils for £56 including delivery. Every little helps!

CrazySX

Quote from: "insx"I just bought a Denso DOX-0204 on ebay from Opie Oils for £56 including delivery. Every little helps!

56... how much? is that for a pair or one?

The cheapies are doing a great job! no sign of rough running or an EML yet  s:) :) s:)

insx

£56 was only for one. I'm debating whether to do the resistor "fix" or get a cheap one for the post cat sensor. If I go to Rock Auto, I will probably get a spare. They have lots of types to choose from!

CrazySX

Quote from: "insx"£56 was only for one. I'm debating whether to do the resistor "fix" or get a cheap one for the post cat sensor. If I go to Rock Auto, I will probably get a spare. They have lots of types to choose from!
What is the resistor fix? I couldn't justify spending over £100 on sensors when I could put that towards springs, or brakes  s:D :D s:D

insx

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "insx"£56 was only for one. I'm debating whether to do the resistor "fix" or get a cheap one for the post cat sensor. If I go to Rock Auto, I will probably get a spare. They have lots of types to choose from!
What is the resistor fix? I couldn't justify spending over £100 on sensors when I could put that towards springs, or brakes  s:D :D s:D

I've read around these parts that the post cat sensor can have a 15 ohm resistor fitted into the wiring to clear the fault. I believe it fools the ECU rather than actually fixing anything so I'm not sure why it is thought that this sensor is unimportant. The resistor needs to be 10 watt or 25 watt depending on which post you read. I'm still not exactly sure how to wire it.

CrazySX

i think if you have precats then you don't need the post cat, and vice versa, hence you don't need a sensor and hence you fool the ECU  s:) :) s:)

This is probably what i will do once i put my turbo manifold in .

insx

I think this resistor should do the job if you're not in a big hurry:  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161102023184 m

insx

I replaced my sensor on top with a proper Denso but for the lower one, I have used an Ultra-Power UP 234-4603 from Rock Auto. I bought 2 for a total of £31.86 delivered (no duty paid). It seems to be doing something according to Torque and it has a year's warranty. The cable is the long type and it was plug and play. Delivery took 1 week.

Standard

Dreaded engine management light has appeared so if there is anyone with a reader who can confirm the O2 sensor has died that would be a great help (West Mids/Black Country/Worcester areas).

Thanks

Standard

Nathan helped me out with reading the fault (my hero) and confirmed that it was P0136 - Bank 1 Sensor 2.

I'm going to order a new Denso one from sparksplugs.co.uk but I'm not sure which is the correct one. Does anyone know the product code?

Thanks

Markb

Quote from: "Standard"Nathan helped me out with reading the fault (my hero) and confirmed that it was P0136 - Bank 1 Sensor 2.

I'm going to order a new Denso one from sparksplugs.co.uk but I'm not sure which is the correct one. Does anyone know the product code?

Thanks

DOX 0204 ---the top two (pre Cat)

DOX 0206--- the lower one with longer wire(post cat)

Both plug and play.

Or

DOX 0109... Does all but you need to cut off and join on the existing sensor plug from the old sensor.

tets

I have a question - having read a bit today it appears there are only 2 types of O2 sensor available and then the various number of wires - MR2 has 4 I believe as does my other car - a Subaru Legacy.
The MR2 needs a sensor and I have 2 spares for my Legacy - now what are the chances??

cheers
Steve

silveromriver

I followed several recommendations I read on this forum after I brought a OBD reader when having a engine warning light. The code was P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and I decoded this again from information published on this forum. I have read many peoples comments and followed many threads on this subject and I have spent many hours repairing my cars over the past 40 years and always hear " you get what you pay for" and so ordered a Denso DOX-0204 from  w WWW.Sparkplugs.co.uk w  £56.57 inc VAT and a socket 10.49 inc VAT this July. The service from Sparkplugs was excellent and it took me less than 10 minutes to change the sensor, it was the top right hand one looking at the rear of the car. The fault has not returned after 1000+ miles, and it would occur almost almost every journey no matter how short, I reset the code every time with my ODB reader.
I fitted the first sensor late July and drive the car almost every day making the most of this wonderful sunshine we have expereinced recently. It is now late August as I write this and in the last few journeys I have intermittently P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1). In this case I am going to try fitting the 15ohm 15watt resistor attach it to the heat shield and see if this cures the current fault code which is the top left sensor as you look at the rear of the car. SO I will update this thread when it arrives and I fit it. I hope my experience helps others.  s:D :D s:D

CrazySX

Quote from: "silveromriver"I followed several recommendations I read on this forum after I brought a OBD reader when having a engine warning light. The code was P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and I decoded this again from information published on this forum. I have read many peoples comments and followed many threads on this subject and I have spent many hours repairing my cars over the past 40 years and always hear " you get what you pay for" and so ordered a Denso DOX-0204 from  m http://WWW.Sparkplugs.co.uk m  £56.57 inc VAT and a socket 10.49 inc VAT this July. The service from Sparkplugs was excellent and it took me less than 10 minutes to change the sensor, it was the top right hand one looking at the rear of the car. The fault has not returned after 1000+ miles, and it would occur almost almost every journey no matter how short, I reset the code every time with my ODB reader.
I fitted the first sensor late July and drive the car almost every day making the most of this wonderful sunshine we have expereinced recently. It is now late August as I write this and in the last few journeys I have intermittently P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1). In this case I am going to try fitting the 15ohm 15watt resistor attach it to the heat shield and see if this cures the current fault code which is the top left sensor as you look at the rear of the car. SO I will update this thread when it arrives and I fit it. I hope my experience helps others.  s:D :D s:D

Hi and thanks for your feedback.  i am currently experiencing an issue with being richer on bank 2 than bank 1.  Something to think about, if the sensors can determine how rich/lean the car is running on each bank, that in turn is determining how efficient the combustion is on 2 cylinders (Either side).

If you remove the sensor from Bank 2 and replace with a resistor, does this mean Bank 2 could be running rough as anything and nobody would ever know?  Actually i think i just answered my own question.  Stick a resistor in and then monitor it, see how Bank 2 looks on LTFT  s:) :) s:)

insx

I'm watching with interest as I just got the dreaded Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1 error. I have a cheapo sensor and 2 resistors in stock.

insx

I just popped in the last of my replacement sensors so I now have a genuine Denso and 2 cheapies from Rock Auto. The first cheapy one is doing OK but I've probably only driven a few hundred miles with it.

Tags: