1zz turbo early progress build

Started by MR2 super GT, December 24, 2007, 14:18

MR2 super GT

well here is some pics of my custom exhaust for my turbo set up on the 1zz engine.

its just a few progress pics. and I didnt manage to get any of it on the car. as the exhaust maker too so long to make it, i just wanted him to finish it and put the car back to standard so i could drive it home.

the thing that looks like a cat is just that. its there to look like a cat so the vehicle testers think i still have one.
the turbo was a turbonetcis t3/t4 but i changed the core to a gt30.

then there is the turbonetics evolution wastegate.
enjoy   s:D :D s:D  :

also here is a sneak peak at my rear Jline forged 17s for use with the reckless wide body...

when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

Beowulf

You do realise that the M.O.T. test actually tests the emissions from the exhaust and is not just a visual look?? i.e. it will fail if it doesnt actually have a cat??
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

aaronjb

Crikey - with a GT30 what kind of power are you aiming for?  I'm guessing somewhere north of 300bhp - so you have built internals as well (rods, bearings, etc)?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

MR2 super GT

dunno what power. just going to wait and see. i had the GT30 left over from a previous project that fell through thats why I'm just going to go with that and see how it turns out. dont think it will be too lagy.

yeah i have the usual suspects lined up for the internals, rods bearings etc... only things left to chance that i havnt replaced (crank, drive shafts, gears)  i got the crank balance and cryo treated to try and prevent things from self destructing.

as for the drive shafts i am going to wait and see what happens, and i think someone on SC is working on getting some upgraded 3rd and 4th gears as they seem to be the weak link. but as yet that hasnt proved to be fruitful so im expecting to have gearbox problems

and yes i know they test emmisions. the car actually passes emmisions even without the cat present, just a benefit of nice efficient toyota engines

i just leave a look-a-like cat in there so i dont raise any eyebrows. its not my fault the car can pass the required emmisions without a cat

aaronjb

Driveshafts shouldn't be an issue - I've not seen one explode yet.. but yes, the gearbox does seem to turn to chocolate once you get to high torque applications  s:( :( s:(  Mark, Stu and Phil have all killed gearboxes on here alone.

I'm sure Quaife can knock up a gear set for you.. if you have a spare £10k lying around under the sofa cushions  s:D :D s:D

Nice looking manifold anyhow - equal length (by the look of it) and it looks sturdy, although you'll probably want additional bracing anyway given a GT30 isn't the lightest thing in the world (although it's probably lighter than the T517 boat-anchor I have  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).

Not too keen on the angle that the wastegate dump rejoins the exhaust (head on!), but.. it should work.

What size is that exhaust by the way? 3" or bigger?  That's going to be one loud car   s:D :D s:D  (He says, having no silencing and no CAT on an NA car right now   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

[edit] I forgot to ask - what engine management are you going with?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

MR2 super GT

yeah the 10k Quaife option is not an option lol. i am not an expert but surely get an engineering firm to machine up a 3rd and 4th gear shouldnt be mega bucks??? or is it more complicated than that?

ther is a brace under the manifold but i dont think you can see it in the pic. can your top secret one be upgraded in future is desired?

as for the wastgate design im not an expert on exhaust design... not sure the exhaust maker was an expert on external wastegates either... he knows how to do a nice flowing exhaust though... aslo should my wastegate maybe have been closer to the manifold? it wont affect spooling or anything?

yah its a 3"  
no silencing and no cat lol that would be very loud! i wasnt intending it to be loud and im hoping it should be an acceptable level with just the one silencer

have not decided on engine management yet   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

aaronjb

The inlet for the wastegate is a little long maybe, but that should work fine.  I'd be concerned that the wastegate output dumps into the exhaust flow at a 90deg angle though - that's going to harm it's ability to flow quite significantly I think.

Whether it causes boost creep remains to be seen - doubtful with the amount of exhaust gas our little 1.8 can produce though, so at worst you might get boost spikes as the wastegate comes into play.

Another TS owner keeps reassuring me that with the turbo in mine will be nice and quiet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not too loud  s:) :) s:)   I think with the 3" pipework you'll get a fair bit of 'drone' (especially on coast down), but that seems to be unavoidable on our cars  s:( :( s:(

My money goes on the PFC by the way - for management - although if I could find a similar priced standalone that did knock-based ignition retard I'd switch in a heartbeat.  For now I think my preferred solution is a PFC + a J&S Safeguard for knock control.

If I could afford a MoTeC on the other hand..  s;) ;) s;)

Quotecan your top secret one be upgraded in future is desired?

You mean in terms of turbo size?  Yep - it's a standard T25 flange, so anything in the GT28 range will fit.  GT30 wouldn't, but given the power levels I know are achievable with the T517 I don't think I'll need anything bigger  s:) :) s:)

Tags: