Turbo or Supercharger

Started by alancdavis, December 31, 2007, 14:38

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "ChrisGB"I think it runs an uprated FPR to get the injection volumes up. This has always been my preferred method as it counteracts the boost pressure difference drop as well, leading to better atomisation.
That may be fair enough, but for my own peace of mind i would prefer bigger injectors - the FPR would obviously still be there.

Quote from: "ChrisGB"As for the manifold, remember the alternator is coming round to the back of the engine block, so need to make sure there is room to clear whatever system you have. Clears PPE   s8) 8) s8)  
As I understand it, the relocated alternator clears the standard manifold with heatshields removed - stands to reason that the Che manifold would be fine, maybe even the Zero.

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Engine management could be tricky. They are using the Split Second system and according to Split Second inc there is no agent or support in the UK although they are happy to support any tuning shop taking it on. I may go Emanage or PFC.
Which adds weight to asking for the kit w/o engine management ... my e-MU should be able to cope fine. As long as you get a management system and have the whole setup tuned on a rolling road it'll be fine. I could even use the e-MU + innovate for a target AFR map short term to get me to a tuner.

All sounds very do-able, it now comes down to availability and timing.  s8) 8) s8)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Interesting how this thread as developed, certainly a good question to ask, now I've seen the full set-up on the SC that Carver is building I have to say a Turbo would be a better solution - not that I've got much experience of either type of forced induction.

I liked the idea of the SC when I first saw the thread, what I don't like is the re-positioning of the alternator right next to the manifold - my god that thing runs cherry red how long do you think it will last - why do you think Toyota put it were it was in the first place  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  As for the Rotex again very expensive and we've only seen 1 built with any history and that's gone into storage - maybe  s:?: :?: s:?:  

As for the turbo alternative, the TTE as to be the best for reliability and dare I say it back-up, but and it's a VERY BIG BUT - it's to dam expensive. As for the others there's not much in it really, I think it's all depends on how much you want to spend on quality and the BHP / Torque you want.

These comments are not intended to piss people off, I'm just approaching it from a different perspective - why fit a turbo or SC in the first place, I'm lookiing for reliablity, serviceability, longevity and lastly a long term investment - yes the Roadster will be a classic, even more so than the MK1 & MK2, but it will take time. We've all seen you do not get a return with either a turbo or SC, except the person who buys it.

As for me I think I gone as far as I want to with the engine performance and certainly the way it handles is pretty much spot on for me - although I will be adding a few more bits to it later.

Any way I thought it would be worth putting a different view on the question - I'll hide behind my computer for the rest of the year  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Rob.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "FGRob"Interesting how this thread as developed, certainly a good question to ask, now I've seen the full set-up on the SC that Carver is building I have to say a Turbo would be a better solution - not that I've got much experience of either type of forced induction.

Hi Rob

I suppose it depends on what you want from the setup. For me, the critiacl thing is throttle response. I want to be able to move the throttle to a fixed position and always have exactly the same response from it in the same timescale. For this, a supercharger, although it is compromised in other ways, is the better forced induction option for linear throttle response.

Quote from: "FGRob"I liked the idea of the SC when I first saw the thread, what I don't like is the re-positioning of the alternator right next to the manifold - my god that thing runs cherry red how long do you think it will last - why do you think Toyota put it were it was in the first place  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  As for the Rotex again very expensive and we've only seen 1 built with any history and that's gone into storage - maybe  s:?: :?: s:?:  

I agree the alternator position is not too clever. With the PPE it does not seem to radiate much heat but if I do go for this kit, I will definitely have some sort of double skin heat shield between manifold and alternator.

Quote from: "FGRob"These comments are not intended to p*ss people off, I'm just approaching it from a different perspective - why fit a turbo or SC in the first place, I'm lookiing for reliablity, serviceability, longevity and lastly a long term investment - yes the Roadster will be a classic, even more so than the MK1 & MK2, but it will take time. We've all seen you do not get a return with either a turbo or SC, except the person who buys it.

I am still in two minds about this. I do less than 10,000 miles a year in this car, so I am not worried too much about high mileage reliability yet. If it does kill the engine in 3 or 4 years time, I can always replace it if I still like the car enough. There are many many times where I feel the MR2 lacks go. A forced induction setup gives it the go it can handle. It is absolutely the case that I will never see a return on the money spent on the SC kit though.

Quote from: "FGRob"As for me I think I gone as far as I want to with the engine performance and certainly the way it handles is pretty much spot on for me - although I will be adding a few more bits to it later.

The setup you have is very similar to the one I will have if the SC kit turns out not to be for me. I am waiting for dyno curves at the moment in order to see if it is going to give me what I am after. IF it does not, the cams and ECU are in there in the next month or so. I am borderline on any sort of FI for the MR2 and know it is not without considerable mechanical risk, but so far, this is the first set up that looks like it will suit my tastes.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

loadswine

That's another angle for sure Rob, and its valid stuff.
Folks come at this from different points of view and its nice to have a balance and reasoned debate.
I've never viewed my 2 as an investment machine, but some will and that's fine if it suits. Others won't want something they lose too much money on either, but a lot of the mods can be sold on and others can benefit with good kit at a reduced cost, so that's good too.
I respect the varying ethos of ownership , variety is part of what makes this club work so well. If we all did things the same it would be a bit boring I guess.
The alternator was something I thought about when looking at the SC thread, but it should be possible to construct a heat shield to help with the temperatures.
If you want instant torque, you could always have a V6 popped in!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Sorry for that little thread drift at the end there!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

ChrisGB

Quote from: "loadswine"If you want instant torque, you could always have a V6 popped in!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The noise alone makes that so tempting!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "loadswine"If you want instant torque, you could always have a V6 popped in!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The noise alone makes that so tempting!

Chris

Yep I agree it sounds great and certainly is an alternative.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Anonymous

I would love to try a 2ZZ supercharger, the sort fitted to the likes of the new 211 Elise.

Wabbitkilla

Well Carver is going to develop one for the 2ZZ - get your name down and invest  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

More on this. As I have a PPE manifold and high flow cat, I will need to modify it. I can either cut out the 1.75" section through the flex join and replace with a Jetex 2" section, or PPE can make me a similar manifold with 1 5/8 primaries and 2 1/4 secondary and exit. This would mate up nicely to the Che exhaust.

What would I be likely to get for a used PPE manifold and CAT?

Chris

ChrisHumes

is anyone in the uk going to go for the carvercharger then? is it not a cheaper and better option than a turbo??

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"is anyone in the uk going to go for the carvercharger then? is it not a cheaper and better option than a turbo??

I am giving it serious consideration, but will not decide until I have seen the fitting instructions (to see how belt routing goes) and dyno plots (to see if it will give me the torque characteristic I want).

It does look to be a very viable product, but it is running a little behind schedule presently.

If I don't go that route, I am probably going for Crower stage 1 cams and Camcon or maybe PFC.

Chris

custardavenger

Definately not getting into the the old Turbo/Super Charger thing

All I will say is I will be fitting a Supercharger in the next three weeks and your welcome to drive it and see for yourself.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

ChrisHumes

thanks for the offer. i have searched, but there is not much info regarding the supercharger on mr2roc, costs, performance, ease of fitting, maintenance etc. if you could do a write up on these aspects it would be appreciated.

cheers

ChrisGB

Quote from: "custardavenger"Definately not getting into the the old Turbo/Super Charger thing

All I will say is I will be fitting a Supercharger in the next three weeks and your welcome to drive it and see for yourself.

Do tell more!

Chris

custardavenger

Don't want to say too much untill it's all sorted out. But will say that I looked into the turbo route, but wasn't 100% with any of the kits. I looked into making my own kit but then went on a track day with some guys who had turbo's and other than the fact that they didn't overtake me and that lots of bits kept coming undone and also the fact that when they turned their turbo's up to the point where they were getting the big horse power figures they became too much of an animal for me in the corners.

I respect the turbocharger but decided I wanted to be different. I do not consider myself the best driver and decided that a supercharger would best suit my driving style.

That said I have nbeen in a few turbo'd cars that make me think that I may have made the wrong decision as there is something very exciting about that sudden rush of power.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: