Yet another tyre thread - mismatched front/rear tyres

Started by FireFury, January 5, 2008, 19:41

FireFury

My rear tyres are worn out and I'm considering switching to Toyos.  However, my fronts (Bridgestone RE040's) are still in good condition, having been replaced earlier in the year.

I know the general consensus is that you should always have the same tyres on all corners, but how much difference does it actually make?  Can I get away with putting 225/40/16 Toyos on the back whilst there are 185/55/15 Bridgestones on the front, or will I have to go for Bridgestones this time around and change all 4 to Toyos once the fronts have worn out?

(It should be noted that I've been driving it around with Yokos on the back and Bridgestones on the front for the past year anyway and not had any significant trouble...  the back snaps out a bit in the wet if you have a heavy right foot, but from what I hear this is pretty normal for the Yokos anyway).
- Steve

markiii

your mad if you do, it's not necessarily the day to day driving, but on the limit, when the idiot in a mondeo pulls out on you, you hit ice or diesel, or have to avoid a foreign lorry on the Motorway and your relying on the cars dynamics to save you. This is not the time to get a nasty surprise and right her off, due to having mixed tyres.

and look at it this way, a full set of toyos will probably still be cheaper than a set of rear bridgestones  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

FireFury

Quote from: "markiii"your mad if you do, it's not necessarily the day to day driving, but on the limit, when the idiot in a mondeo pulls out on you, you hit ice or diesel, or have to avoid a foreign lorry on the Motorway and your relying on the cars dynamics to save you. This is not the time to get a nasty surprise and right her off, due to having mixed tyres.

Ok, I guess you have a point  s:) :) s:)

Quoteand look at it this way, a full set of toyos will probably still be cheaper than a set of rear bridgestones  :-) :-) :-)

Ah, I thought about that - I've not phoned around the local tyre shops yet, but a set of Toyos from Black Circles is about 250 quid (fitted) whilst a pair of Bridgestones is about 190...

On the other hand, camskill.co.uk claims to be doing the front Toyos for £32.10 and the rear ones for £53.90, but I need to find someone to fit them.

<wonders how much a pair of used Bridgestones would go for on ebay>
- Steve

Wabbitkilla

So you'll save £60 by crashing the car .... hmmm

Personally i'd rather spend the extra £60 than take the risk - oh but then I did. I have a pair of front Bridgestones sat outside that i thought i might use again, but haven't.

Also consider, that if you have Toyos all round, the next time you only need to replace the rears, it'll be cheaper than replacing them with Bridgestones.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]

Thread locked, tyre choice has been discussed to the n'th degree. The search facility provides examples of what people have fitted and the accidents (unless the threads have been deleted) caused by wrong tyre choices. There's a dearth of experience both on ROC and SC about tyres, including the ROC Tyre review section.

[MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: