Tyres

Started by Anonymous, December 28, 2003, 21:47

Anonymous

Please move this if it is in the wrong forum.  What are the stock tyres on a new car?  Are they just the Yokos, or are the Bridgestones also an option?  In view of the latter having better wet weather performance, I would prefer them.  Anyone able to help?  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

Anonymous

I think it's down to whatever they've got in stock at the time.  So I guess it's a bit of luck.  That said, if you asked for them specifically, you never know what the dealer might do for you.

SteveJ

Trust me - the first time you drive the car with the Bridgestone RE040's on a motorway and it tramlines you will want to get rid of them.

Whilst the Yoko's wet performance isn't the greatest, of the 2 stock tyres I would say they are the better all-rounders for normal use.

Slacey

I never got to try the infamous Bridgestones; I had Yoko's as stock, I was more than happy with them TBH.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

GSB

Ive had 2 sets of the original Bridgestone RE040's and I found as long as you kept a careful eye on tyre pressures and suspension alignment, tramlining was never a problem until they became very worn. That being said, in the interests of getting some stickier rubber on the car for the summer, I dont intend buying them again  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I've got Pirelli P-zero rossos on the Celica and they're fantastic (also came top of the Autocar test) so I may try those when mine wear totally.

Mind you, they only lasted 14,000 on the front of the Celi!

Anonymous

My car, when new, was fitted with the Yokos... they were dreadful - no grip at all. I threw them away after just 8000 miles.

zud

Quote from: "GSB"Ive had 2 sets of the original Bridgestone RE040's and I found as long as you kept a careful eye on tyre pressures and suspension alignment, tramlining was never a problem until they became very worn. That being said, in the interests of getting some stickier rubber on the car for the summer, I dont intend buying them again  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I found exactly the same... for the first few months tramlining could usually be solved by adjusting the pressures.  But once they were very old/worn they were terrible.  I always thought the car felt fine with them, but after switching to Eagle F1s I won't be going back!  Even allowing for comparing old v new, I'm sure the car's never felt so good.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Tags: