Windback Tool

Started by Innocent, January 11, 2008, 17:09

Innocent

I'm fitting new pads tomorrow but dont have the windback tool. Any ideas where i can get one from? Halfords?

Anonymous

Yep - Halfrauds should have them, about £15 I think

Anonymous

There's a picture of what it looks like HERE   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

nitro

i use a g clamp.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "nitro"i use a g clamp.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

and how prescisely did you wind it in with a g-clamp  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

on most cars the piston will push back without too much of a problem. The G clamp will work as will a screwdriver between the brake pad and disk. By all means spend 15 quid but I doubt that you'll find mr T's technicians using a special tool.

Anonymous

And after you have knackered the threads in the caliper by using a G clamp £15 will seem very cheap indeed   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I'm quite prepared to learn here.
So does Toyota use different calipers to most other manufacturers?

SteveJ

Fronts just push in (using a G-clamp). I know - I spent this morning changing my front pads and disks (less then 1mm of pad left on them   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Rears need the wind back tool due to the auto-adjuster for the handbrake.

HTH

aaronjb

Quote from: "sandstrain"I'm quite prepared to learn here.
So does Toyota use different calipers to most other manufacturers?

No, because Vauxhall and many others are the same.

The rear calipers (only, not front) screw back in - inside the caliper they are threaded, and it's this thread which is the self adjuster for the handbrake.

You can't just push them straight back in - if you can, it's broken.

[edit] Which Steve already said  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Here's a question that needs to be thought about, if the caliper is threaded why does the wind-back tool need to be locked on the opposite side of the caliper and have a threaded stem to push the piston back - are the threads on the wind-back tool the same as the inside the caliper  s:?: :?: s:?:  

I did use the tool to rotate the piston to line up with the peg on the pads, in fact I rotated through 360 deg and it did not appear to go inwards, indicating that the piston was either not threaded or the thread was very fine - which would be in conflict with the wind-back thread which is course.   s:? :? s:?  

Any way I did use the tool for both rear calipers - it worked but not exactly as I thought it would  s:? :? s:?  

Rob.

Oh yes I forgot, if the piston is locked against the pad (peg on the pad) when you apply the brakes it will not rotate - so the piston is pushed out and does not rotate - so what's going on here then, is the rotating when you replace the pads something to do with the seals as you push back??????? It's like a chicken and egg question this one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Innocent

Replaced the pads yesterday and yes, as already mentioned, the windback tool is 100% necessary. As aaron said, you could possibly get the piston back in with a g-clamp if you're feeling strong but the high risk of screwing up the thread on the handbrake ratchet isn't worth the £20 for the tool! Was hard enough work to wind the piston back in with the tool with one hand holding up the caliper.

Tags: