TTET pink goo...

Started by Liz, February 12, 2008, 16:23

Liz

This serves me right for saying the other day that the TTET had been trouble free...I thought today it was about time to have a look under the bonnet and check oil levels etc..I was met with this sight..

The pink stuff is of a greasy consistency, sort of like vaseline, this goes into like a black blob of grease where the piping meets the box thing under the manifold..I wonder whether this has anything to do with the fact that the coolant bottle is empty and I noticed last night it took ages to heat up?  Not going to drive it tonight, but having said that it drives fine.

^^Looking into the engine bay

^^Looking from the nearside towards underneath the manifold

^^Details of black sticky blob!

Any ideas would be appreciated - I have a warranty that *hopefully* covers whatever this is.. TIA!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

That looks like a coolant feed to the turbo, and it looks rather like it's:

a) Been leaking
b) Been melted (perhaps right through) by the exhaust flange that it's sitting against

s:? :? s:?

Not good, certainly.. Yes, fill up the coolant bottle and I'd say that needs to go back to SP for some warranty work I'm afraid.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

I have just called Matt and he was too busy to speak - however, I have asked him to log onto here and post his thoughts.

Anonymous

My first thoughts were the exact same as Aarons, so definitely get this sorted sooner rather than later Liz. Looks like it's melted under the heatshielding, which is a bit concerning...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

yeah I'd agree with Aaron

keep an eyey on it when you fill her up and see if teh coolant pisses back out
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

From looking at the installation manual - it looks like part number 17-1 which is a pipe water runback - also referred to as the water outlet hose - which has a heatshield being part number 17-7 (which I presume is the part that has been gooed), can someone have a look at the installation manual and see if they agree if it is that part - as it does not look quite the same in the diagrams as it does in the pictures.  s:? :? s:?

Is it ok just to top up with coolant or does it require bleeding through..

markiii

as longs as youhaven't dropped too much it should self bleed
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Silverstone Performance

Hi Liz
I agree with Aaron's view.  We need to get the car in and replace that pipe (and associated heat shroud).
Please give us a call to arrange.
Best regards
Matt
P.S.  Sorry I was so busy today!

aaronjb

Incidentally - Mark (and others) - notice the locking plates that TTE use?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Ooh, very clever. Nice little bits of kit, those.

spit

Quote from: "aaronjb"Incidentally - Mark (and others) - notice the locking plates that TTE use?

Yep. And I was rooting through the forum for those Nissan part numbers last week too. D'oh!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"Ooh, very clever. Nice little bits of kit, those.

Nissan use something very similar  s;) ;) s;)  (As Ste mentions above)

Anonymous

*runs off to check car*

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"Incidentally - Mark (and others) - notice the locking plates that TTE use?

I was aware  :-) :-) :-)

Liz

Quote from: "Silverstone Performance"Hi Liz
I agree with Aaron's view.  We need to get the car in and replace that pipe (and associated heat shroud).
Please give us a call to arrange.
Best regards
Matt
P.S.  Sorry I was so busy today!

Thanks for coming on here and looking Matt - would it be safe to drive that far - is this something that can be done locally?

What locking plates are you guys talking about?  I am curious!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"*runs off to check car*

You're missing something important, doofus, two turbos  s:P :P s:P

Back on topic now...

Anonymous

At least my Nissan runs...  s;) ;) s;)

Liz, how high/low was your coolant before/after you noticed this? Any major difference?

Liz

I am ashamed to say I don't know  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   - but this car like my last always seems to of run low on the coolant levels in anycase, it just looks dry now its not anywhere to be seen in the bottle.

<edit - I remember now - it was last topped up at the Demon Tweeks meet from Phils rather large bottle of coolant>

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Liz"What locking plates are you guys talking about?  I am curious!

their talking about the one under the bolts in this picture Liz, its a plate that folds around the bolt or a nut to stop it spinning. As Aaron says its fitted to some Nissans as stock and as it seems the TTET as well.

get that pipe sorted asap Liz, if its a split then it could go all together at anytime soon and you can imagine the result
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

Thats why I am querying how sensible it will be to drive it 112 miles from mine to SP, it looks as though it wouldn't make it!  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

you should be fine, just dont go mad and if you see any changes in engine temp either way then pull over asap, you may even want to give it a half way check and see if its ok, i just wouldn't want to go doing 1000's of miles on it. option B is use AA/RAC if you have tow to garage cover  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Liz

I do have roadside relay - but I think that will be to the nearest garage...worried about the logistics of this now, seeing how gooey that is I don't trust it to go up the road to the shops - let alone a long motorway journey...even if I keep it slow on the way the temperature is still going to get high in there isn't it  s:? :? s:?  .  Anyone got a tow truck!?

Anonymous

I had a small bit of leakage before and just replaced the wrap and it was fine If I remember right someone else had a leak like yours also but cant remember his name but he was from Scotland.

kanujunkie

do you want to do it on saturday and i'll follow you? i meant to be going to Marks anyway or we can go to Halfrauds and get some pipe and do an at home repair

remember it wont go bang either, you'll get some warning, also being a smaller turbo it wont cook that either, Nigel never fitted cooling on his and it was fine.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

just had a look at the parts list, not sure an at home repair will be possible, its a pre fabbed pipe with a crimped fitting on the end
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: