My CAMCON experience!!

Started by Anonymous, February 13, 2008, 20:26

Anonymous

I figure that this will be useful for the 'tweakers' amongst you...specially those with piggy-back ecu's that cannot do cam control (UNICHIP, for example, inspite of what Dastek will tell you)

I got a CAMCON last week from ebay, (Prolex UK). It was £221 delivered to my door! Mega quick delivery from these guys btw.

The unit is 80mm wide x 85mm deep x 30ish mm tall. A single connector on the rear plugs to a 1.5m ish harness with a bunch of flying leads at the end. Beware!! you will have to splice to the ECU - so make sure you are competent or you may accidently burn out delicate electronics!!

Having said that, wiring was a piece of cake. Took 1/2h after I ripped out all the rear panels to get to the ECU.

Do not be put off by the apparent 'cheap' look of the unit on the websites. It is actually well built and a quality piece of kit. I will get a photo of the unit up by the weekend so you can get a look-see at it.

The unit intercepts the MAF sensor and the VVTi sensor and can alter the signal to the ECU, hence altering a/f & inlet cam timing.

I am not utilising the a/f facility at the mo so wont discuss further. I got the unit for cam control specifically....!

It comes on when your ignition is on. Display is user selectable, either water temperature (I got the new CAMCON Ti version, older ones dont do this, but it is kind of pointless IMO), a/f adjustment or cam timing adjustment.

As my engine is burning oil at the mo (but still turning 161bhp, on stage 1 cams, Che header, APEXi and unichip) I have not dynoed it yet, and am running the recommended timing adjustments from Power Enterprise's website.

It has made a totally huge change to the engine. I would say, at least 5-6 bhp mid range - and amazingly, i have not yet had the chance to open it up properly on the open road - but 3rd pulls like 2nd used to....

This unit is wicked as far as I can see. I am not sure how useful it will be on stock cams though....

I will try a 0-60 test with the unit 'off' and 'on' to give an idea of the change in output. Prepare to be suprised!!

Drawbacks:

1) I think the temperature read out is not functioning correctly, will need to check my wiring this weekend. I dont usually mess this up but we'll see.

2) Harness is too short. I originally intended to hide the unit, but not decided yet. It is still loose in the car pending a decision. I did purchase a 1.5m  extension harness from Prolex UK for £5.

My rating 9/10 (if you have stage 1 cams)

As I said, pics to follow.

Tags: