Is boost addictive? discuss.

Started by SimonC_Here, February 17, 2008, 21:40

SimonC_Here

Oh my good grief YES!!!

After a long weekend at Marks, I am now the proud owner of a charge cooled turbo'd 2.

Still running at waste gate (~4.7psi) and loving it.
I know I shouldn't have and it wasn't kind to my old and tired clutch, but the new MX5 next to me at the lights thought I wasn't worthy!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
He didn't think so when I pulled over at the speed limit a good 2 car lengths in front (@50mph).

To the guys who fitted it for me, many, many thanks. You all worked really hard for me and managed a Hass + charge cooler in 2 days.
Oh, the cooler was cold when I got home, stone cold, and not a sign of any leaks or drop in coolant level.   s:D :D s:D

To Chris, thanks again for putting up with the horde that descended on you for the weekend, and the food!

Small issue for your minds though.
At about -9.4 psi, if you hold the throttle there it cuts out down to -12psi. A touch on throttle and it's back to normal. I'm going to get it to re learn the idle tomorrow so that might help.

Thanks again to all!

Simon
(Still grinning like a loon.)

uktotty

Congrats Simon
Good to see if was all fixed after the many screw and  thread issues we had yesterday!
oooh and hurry up with those springs, they are rather cool if I say so myself  s;) ;) s;)

loadswine

Nice one Simon, glad to see you're enjoying it.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

she'll take a few days to bed in but follow stus instructions and she should be fine  :-) :-) :-)

for the record thats a chargecooled Hass in 16 hours

previous best was 17 hours for  Hass intercooled which is arguably easier

deduct the time spent on other stuff and we did it in 10 hours flat, bit of a result that.

Si wait until you tastes 10psi you'll wet yourself  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Welcome to the club Simon  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"not a sign of any leaks or drop in coolant level.   s:D :D s:D
Thank God for that!   s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Glad you're happy with it mate, sorry I couldn't stick around until the death to see it finished though.

SimonC_Here

Still fine this morning on the coolant front.
It did throw a cel this morning.
171 (System too Lean (Bank 1) )
and
174 (System too Lean (Bank 2) )

I think it's too lean!  s:) :) s:)

I've disconnected the battery, then forgot you can't actually lock the car with the battery out and my Dev's were frozen in! So nobody look at the green roadster, it's not locked!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s;) ;) s;)

My fuel bill is going to be huge to start off with, I can't stop planting my right foot at any oppertunity. I love the sound of the turbo spooling.

Simon

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"not a sign of any leaks or drop in coolant level.   s:D :D s:D
Thank God for that!   s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Glad you're happy with it mate, sorry I couldn't stick around until the death to see it finished though.

dont, i had to redo it again after you went Dan  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

Boo Hoo  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    I miss mine - roll on Saturday! But your right it is addictive to the detriment of your wallet - what does Jess think of it??

Enjoy!!

(Just to add salt in the wound of not having mine - a new officer has started here and has just parked a blue '2 in front of me in the car park  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   ) off to flyer that one in a minute!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Bloody thing!

markiii

Si just realised your running injector cleaner at teh mo and what octane fuel?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

ah yeah the injector cleaner...
A mix of Tesco 99 and what ever the BP ultimate is. 98?

@Liz Jess hasn't been out in it yet as it was dark and cold when I got home and didn't fancy going out, showing off and binning it somewhere  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

What ever Stu did seems to be holding though.

Simon

markiii

take it easy till that tanks gone and we'll see if those CELs come back afterwards

uktotty

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Still fine this morning on the coolant front.
It did throw a cel this morning.
171 (System too Lean (Bank 1) )
and
174 (System too Lean (Bank 2) )

I think it's too lean!  s:) :) s:)

Simon

Have you tried taking air out of the 2 left tyres?
It may not lean as much then   s:P :P s:P

aaronjb

Hmm.. from memory:

System Too Lean is thrown when the long term fuel trim for that bank (or both banks, in this case) exceeds a set threshold - i.e. the ECU is having to add too much fuel in at cruise & idle based on the O2 sensor feedback to maintain a stoichometric A/F ratio of 14.7:1

That might indicate that the eManage map needs a little tweak for your car - perhaps your fuel pressure is a little lower than Marks was, so the eM needs to be pulling less fuel out at idle/cruise.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SimonC_Here

Thanks Aaron,
Just been out at lunch to leave the car to idle for 20 minutes. What the security thought I was doing I don't know!

Anyway, it threw a different CEL. 304 (Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected). I hope it wasn't my soldering...

Simon

kanujunkie

check the soldering asap!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

That could also be the one grade colder plugs not really liking extended idling..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "kanujunkie"check the soldering asap!

Do you know how much electical tape there is around those wires?  s:( :( s:(
Ah well I'll check it whilst the sun is still up.

@Aaron: It had been idling for about 15 minutes before it gave up on me. The revs had just dropped from a very drony 2100 rpm to a very stuttery ~700 rpm.

Erm, possibly silly question, but which one is number 4?

Simon

aaronjb

Number 4 is the one on the left - gearbox end (you always count from crank pulley end)

markiii

there is a specific emanage idle relearn proceedure I'll see if I can find it

SimonC_Here

Typical, if it is no 4 on the left, then it is right under the most difficult place to get.

Can you take off the clip to the injector without taking off the fuel rail?
I don't fancy my chances with my work clothes on in the car park.

I've checked the solders between the original wires and the new ones and they look nice and shiny and firm, don't have a miltimeter here! I seem to remember that the injector in question had to be soldered twice before it was fitted. There was some damage near to the clip where the wire was split. I wonder if the damage was into the clip it's self as well?

So the big question. if I drive home carefully, will it blow up?

Simon

markiii

to remove teh connector from teh injector you need a small flatblade

insert between clip and block and lever it backwards, the clip will pop off

SimonC_Here

Ta, but can it get it home?

Simon

markiii

hang on thinking back to a conversation with Aaron last week

misfire is only the coil reprting that it wasn't able to spark

it's not really a comment on the combustion process persee

check teh connector for teh coilpack and make sure it's properly connected

Tags: