Is boost addictive? discuss.

Started by SimonC_Here, February 17, 2008, 21:40

aaronjb

You don't, but I know a man who has one that could be quickly popped in, check the AFR and adjust.. (trickier with the eManage as the stock ECU will constantly try to adjust back to stoic, so you'd have to reset the ECU and do it right after).

[edit] Actually I think you could probably do it without the wideband.. you just need an OBD-II reader than can read the LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trims) out of the stock ECU.. then adjust the injector sizings in the eManage.  A wideband would still be nice to make sure the WOT AFRs don't go lean or too rich, though.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

I've had a very similar CEL issue recently, although mine has been a "too rich" syndrome.

I knocked back the Injection ratio by just 2% and its gone, but the ECU is still correcting heavily.

To give you an indication of the flexibility the ECU has at learning and correcting before it hits its limits and throws a CEL, my AFR after a reset was 12.5 at idle, pootling and cruising speeds  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  . Within a couple of days it had settled back to a healthy 14.7.

Not ideal - I'd rather get round to trimming the emanage map more accurately, but if it aint broke etc ....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Of course, without an AFR you won't know how far over that edge of ECU "trimmability" you are Simon, so best to get Aaron check you over.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

heathstimpson

I spliced the new clips onto the existing wiring on mine and left the old clips taped up with no issues to date  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I spliced the new clips onto the existing wiring on mine and left the old clips taped up with no issues to date  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

sorry mate but thats really bad engineering practice, you just got lucky
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SimonC_Here

Unless anyone comes up with a good reason not to, I think I'll go with the exedy organic clutch from Prolex.

The RPS is more expensive and I'm likely to get stung by inport duty on top of that. Maybe when the exedy gives up I'll go for the RPS but I doubt the car will still be running by then!

Simon

aaronjb

Stu has the Exedy, right?  In which case (having driven it) it's not a bad clutch at all - took me a few goes to get used to it, but it's not too snappy nor too heavy.

Unlike mine..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

SimonC_Here

I think Stu had both from reading the threads.

He didn't like the RPS then he did!

Oh and don't forget the noise on yours as well!  s;) ;) s;)

Simon

aaronjb

No Stu didn't like his RPS at all - and killed it pretty fast, too, from memory.. which is weird.  Dan loved his - so I'm thinking there was something different between the two (I loved the RPS in the Nissan, too, though that's a bit different - vacuum assisted hydraulic clutch  s:) :) s:) )

spit

I'd heard from the Exedy importers in Runcorn that there had been a bad batch of RPS clutches around that time. Fact or fiction I dunno. But Alberto fubarred his fairly quickly too.

Another light clutch worth considering is the ACT.

Exedy is great for the price (from Dave  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). Takes a while to de-judder but it does the job.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit".... Another light clutch worth considering is the ACT......

I have the ACT and I'm not sure I'd recommend it (mind you I'm only comparing this against stock). When stuck in traffic and the clutch gets hot it doesn't slip at all. Great when you're moving but not fun stuck in London traffic.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"I spliced the new clips onto the existing wiring on mine and left the old clips taped up with no issues to date  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

sorry mate but thats really bad engineering practice, you just got lucky
I did some military splices where you split the cable cores and push the new clip wiring through and twist together then solder  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Do you really think that this is bad practice as it can be returned to stock easily  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

being able to return it to stock easily is an excuse, not a reason to leave it in. IMHO the stock connectors should be removed to prevent issues in the future and of course chaffing on any wiring it may be resting on seeing as its a high vibration area. But its your choice
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"being able to return it to stock easily is an excuse, not a reason to leave it in. IMHO the stock connectors should be removed to prevent issues in the future and of course chaffing on any wiring it may be resting on seeing as its a high vibration area. But its your choice

As long as you don't come down 1000 yards short of the runway you could be OK Heath   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

SimonC_Here

Clutch ordered.
Thanks Dave (ProlexUK).

Simon

markiii

how much?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

£260 from Prolex which is not a lot more than the GB a couple of years a go and he had one in stock.

RPS street max from PPEEngineering was at £268 (current exchange rate) + whatever the tax man/parcel paper pushers wanted to actually give me it.

RPS from thor-racing was £342.79 + ~50 for bearing +delivery?
It isn't listed for the roadster but I was told that their Matrix 1.8L 1ZZ & 2ZZ* MS-22549-ST would fit.

Simon

kanujunkie

yowsers thats gone up a bit  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

My RPS is very good, no complaints plenty of miles.

kanujunkie

to give you an idea on miles per clutch,

i got

35K out of the stock one
33k out of the rps
and i'm guessing about the same out of the exedy

so theres not a lot in it on that one, personally i preffer the Exedy out of the 2, it just feels more connected
[size=100]Stu[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"£260 from Prolex which is not a lot more than the GB a couple of years a go and he had one in stock.

RPS street max from PPEEngineering was at £268 (current exchange rate) + whatever the tax man/parcel paper pushers wanted to actually give me it.

It isn't listed for the roadster but I was told that their Matrix 1.8L 1ZZ & 2ZZ* MS-22549-ST would fit.

Simon

Did you try Monkeywrench?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"£260 from Prolex which is not a lot more than the GB a couple of years a go and he had one in stock.

Simon

Did you try Monkeywrench?

Chris

~£250 including shipping and bearing but again the paper pushers and Tax man would want their cut.

Simon

SimonC_Here

Clutch arrived today. And promptly took a chunk out of my finger when I got it out of the box.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Thanks

Simon

kanujunkie

wait till its fitted, that'll take chunks out
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: