HELP!!!che manifold installed! car not right

Started by Anonymous, February 24, 2008, 21:28

Anonymous

I got my che manifold installed on saturday. on my way home the CEL came on. my first thought was that it could be something to do with messing with the o2 sensors. I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery overnight. The CEL has now come back and the car just doesnt feel right. It  has lost power at low revs but once it gets to about 3.5-4k rpm it is ok but at around 2k it is hesitant and sluggish. I know i need to get the code read but before i go to toyota and pay around £40 for them to read the code i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to whether it is just a faulty sensor,an air leak regarding the manifold or something more serious?
In case it helps i have just had an o2 sensor changed about three months ago. I also have my old manifold and the pre-cats were fine. I have a mkiii intake pipe and trd panel filter(dont think that these make any difference here but these really made the car more responsive and i have lost that completely)

Any help would be greatly appreciated even if they are only ideas. I really just want to know whether a faulty o2 sensor could cause all these problems and if i replace it would all be well again??

cclarke99

I would have guesed manifold leak or faulty sensor, but you need the codes to really know

uktotty

Also check the OBDII thread and see if anyone in Lancs has a scanner to check the code

philster_d

The code will tell you.

See the thread about members with code readers

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies! Getting code read today but i think it is a leak on the manifold. If it is where do i go from there? will i need a new gasket and the rings that create the seal with the cat?

muffdan

you will need two new seals both ends, they're designed for one-time use and get compressed around to fit the shape of the manifold/head/cat.

There're real cheap from Mr T though, in my opinion they're so cheap its not worth taking a risk reusing the old ones for the hassle involved in replacing them! I think I read that advice somewhere else on here when I fitted my Che manifold.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

took my car today to get the code read. they have had my car all day then told me that they cant get into the system to read it. He said it is telling him somethings but he cant pinpoint the problem. my first thought was that he was ripping me off because i thought that reading the code was simple but then he said that he wasnt charging me anything so i had no argument it was just a wasted journey. then i got home and realised that he had clocked up 20 miles in my car!!!

think i am going to be cheeky and contact someone off here who actually knows what they are doing

roger

You have got a UK car? Some (or is it all?) imports need a different reader, of which nobody has admitted to having one.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

muffdan

yeah, most garages won't be able to read an import. All UK spec cars are readable though and all garages should be able to read them.

Perhaps he did get an error code, but it was a toyota specific one and he didn't check it against the toyota only list or something and therefore didn't know what it means. If he could tell you want the P**** code was, someone would be able to tell you what it means.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

i knew about the problems with imports but mine is a uk car. cant find anything else out about the reading cause i abused him and left due to him wasting my time all day and driving 20 miles( with the cel) for no apparent reason other than i think he wanted a turn

markiii

cheapie code reader off ebay will cost you £15 at most

has to be done really
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

just pm'd cdrskull to see if he can help. if not then i am just going to buy one. are all the ones on ebay allright because there is always the ones that are dirt cheap and usually for a reason? what is the difference between them?

markiii

pretty much all of them will read and clear codes

odbii can do much much more but just codes get teh cheapest you liek teh look of
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

If you want I could pop over tues, weds, or thurs evening to have a look with my reader. So long as mine passes the mot tomorrow of course.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

got the code read. it is p0125.

done a search and nothing is conclusive so i still dont know where to start.
i am going to check the fuses and see if the maf sensor needs cleaning but after that i am stumped. i dont know how to test whether the o2 sensors are both working properly and i still think that the manifold isnt sealed properly to the engine even though i used the mr t gaskets.

anyone any ideas now you know the symptoms and have got the code?

Wabbitkilla

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12480 m

Insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop control ... hmmm i've seen someone else suffer from that, but it wasn't the coolant that caused it!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

aaronjb

[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

muffdan

I had that code too, was caused by a blown fuse.
Jason

Wabbitkilla

Good one Aaron  s:D :D s:D  

Considering that you've replaced the manifold, my betting would be on one of the O2 sensors going south. It all makes sense with the rough running too!

Follow Aarons' advice in the other thread for trouble shooting and you should be good. But it might coste you an O2 sensor or two.

Anonymous

is there not a way i can check the o2 sensors are working properly without replacing them?
i keep thinking that it might be gas leakage on the seal between the manifold and the engine because i had a cel when i just got the car and it turned out to be a faulty sensor but it didnt affect the cars performance where as this time it has lost all low rpm power. could it be this instead?

NorthandSouth

I'm getting my Che manifold fitted 2 days before the trip to scotland..would I be better off waiting or will I be ok and hope that nothing untoward happens on route   s:? :? s:?
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

markiii

should be fine

NorthandSouth

Thanks Mark, I am getting it done at Hypersports and as they know the cars I thought I would be ok...just dont want anything ruining our weekend away.

Lynne
Lynne

Anonymous

Quote from: "NorthandSouth"Thanks Mark, I am getting it done at Hypersports and as they know the cars I thought I would be ok...just dont want anything ruining our weekend away.

Lynne

Don't worry Lynne, to great fanfare and celebration, we recently opened a garage for these new fangled horseless carriages north of the border!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

NorthandSouth

ROFPMSL @ Nelix

Hey I want to spend my money on petrol and booze not more garage bills lol
Lynne

Tags: