HELP!!!che manifold installed! car not right

Started by Anonymous, February 24, 2008, 21:28

Anonymous

just spotted a link in a thread explaining the eliminating procedure and what to check.

Anonymous

i am trying to solve this problem on my own but i have come to the conclusion i just dont understand enough or have the equipment to do this.

i know i need to check these trouble areas

>open or short in heated oxygen sensor (bank 1,2 sensor 1)
>Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1,2 sensor 1)
>air induction system
>fuel pressure
>injector
>gas leakage on exhaust system
>ecm

i am confident that it is either a leak on the exhaust or a fault with the sensors because it is too much of a coincidence that the cel came on straight after having my che manifold fitted.

now i am stuck because i dont know how to check the sensors are working properly. i have read about using a obdII reader to read voltages but i dont understand how to do this or how it proves they are working.(but cdrskull has offered me the use of his obdII reader anytime)
my other problem is that i dont know how to check whether there is a leak on the exhaust.

can anyone help me???  s:? :? s:?    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

muffdan

not all readers can verify the o2 sensors, and none of them can verify the voltage across/current through the heater elements.

Cheap readers will only pull and clear error codes. For checking the o2 sensor values you need a 'good' one that will display live sensor readings whilst the engine is running and ideally present a graph. Working sensors will show a sine wave/zig zag reading alternating between above and below 0 volts.

I doubt there is a problem with the heaters as there are separate specific error codes for this and you'd be reading those instead of your P0125.

If you have access to a reader that gives live readings I would do the obvious thing first and check the coolant temperature sensor readings! After all, this is what the error code is reporting a problem with!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Can you hear a ticking noise when you rev the engine ?

Which gasket did you use between the head and the manifold, a new Toyota one or the one that came with the manifold ?

Lets start with the basics first.

Anonymous

i used toyota gasket. the engine does seem to make a different noise when under load at about 2k rpm but not when idling

Anonymous

Quote from: "liamr2"i used toyota gasket. the engine does seem to make a different noise when under load at about 2k rpm but not when idling

Did you fit it or a garage. I would suggest you need to take it off and see if you can see if it is blowing - usually you will see black lines running from the internal pipes to the outside of the gasket.

Generally the Toyota head to manifold gasket is re-usable - this is the very thin metal gasket not to be confused with the two 'O' ring style ones which fit at the cat end.

The Che manifold is prone to distortion if over tightened or the wrong gasket used - I know as it did it on me and ended up knocking seven shades out of it to get it straight again.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Also did "whom ever fitted it" tighten the lower brace brackets first before the manifold to head nuts, if so this could also cause the manifold not to sit right and leak.

Any way just a few more pointers for you.

Rob

Anonymous

a friend did it but now you mention it i think he might of tightened the lower brace brackets first. so if i get the manifold taken off and refitted do i need to take it off completely or just undo it from the head, loosen the other bracket fixings and refit to the head using same gasket? otherwise i will have to buy new 'o' gaskets for manifold to cat wont i?

Anonymous

Quote from: "liamr2"a friend did it but now you mention it i think he might of tightened the lower brace brackets first. so if i get the manifold taken off and refitted do i need to take it off completely or just undo it from the head, loosen the other bracket fixings and refit to the head using same gasket? otherwise i will have to buy new 'o' gaskets for manifold to cat wont i?

Sorry for the late answer just been letting rip over in Norwich for a couple of days  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

I would take it off and check for distortion across the flange face - use a straight edge. You will need new O ring gaskets but you will need to check the manifold gaskets - you might be lucky and be able to re-use it.

Re-fit the manifold and torque up the nuts first - then do the bracket.

Re-set the ECU and then try it again.

Rob

Anonymous

thanks i will give it a go on saturday.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "FGRob"just been letting rip over in Norwich for a couple of days  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  
You could have said would have bought you a meal and a pint   s:o :o s:o  
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "FGRob"just been letting rip over in Norwich for a couple of days  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Wright"
Pete

Hi Pete

Yep thought about putting something up on here - but we only decided to go on the Tuesday night - less time for the wife to pack the kitchen sink  s:D :D s:D  

Barney spotted me today on my way into Yarmouth, then got followed by a silver 02 I think the other side of Kings lynn.

Need to arrange something I think.

Rob.

Anonymous

found the problem!!! the left o2 sensor on the manifold has snapped clean off due to some metal sticking out inside the manifold just after the thread for the sensor. will try and put some pics on

Anonymous

first a pic of the o2 sensors

now pictures of the cause

what the inside is like on the other side

Wabbitkilla

Ooh ouch!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

You wanna get in touch with Che about that and get a replacement!
He'll want to check the quality of any more he's getting in for that fault - he IS good to deal with in these situations BTW so don't worry about that.

Really who ever fitted the O2 sensor should have noticed that, but i don't know what you'll need to do about getting a new sensor.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

asked the lad who fitted my manifold about it and he said he didnt notice and that he put the sensor in with fingers then nipped it up with ratchet as normal. i think that the sensor must of been tight when screwing in but he just carried on and doesnt want to pay for new sensor.
i am not bothered about the money now i just want it fixing asap.
it is horrible seeing the car on the drive and not being able to use it.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

i have contacted che and asked him what he suggests. just waiting for reply

cclarke99

In the abscence of a suitable reader, you can check the sesnors using a meter connected across the two terminals (whilst it's still connected to the ECU). A good sensor will vary between lower than 0.4V and above 0.55V. If it's stuck at a value outside this range then it, the wiring or the ECU is faulty

Anonymous

Well that will certainly give you an interesting error code for sure.

Have you located the missing end bit yet, if it's dropped into the cat you will need to get it out.

It looks like that one was put together on a friday  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Rob

Anonymous

the end of the sensor sounds like it is sat just past the bend at the start of the cat. going to try and fish it out or get the cat taken off. cant get a new sensor until tuesday. going to have to put my normal manifold back on when i get sensor until i sort out a replacement from che.

this has turned into a nightmare. i have spent more on getting manifold put on, new sensor and gaskets than the manifold even cost. then there is all the messing about with shipping again. just hope i can sort it all out as quick as possible.
thanks everyone for all the help!!

Anonymous

che has got back to me! He is shipping me a replacement manifold ASAP which he is going to inspect himself and also refunding me for the o2 sensor!!
i couldnt ask for more from him.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Wabbitkilla

Excellent news, Che is a top man - glad you're getting it sorted.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: