more power

Started by Anonymous, January 2, 2004, 19:18

Anonymous

can anybody help me with advice on upping the bhp on a standard roadster (manual). i have been quoted £238 for a "super-chip" by mini sport which they say will add 7 to 10 bhp.are there any other "chips" on the market that are better, or any other mods that can be done without spending loads of £££££££££££££££££.
hope you can help.thanks.  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrloz"can anybody help me with advice on upping the bhp on a standard roadster (manual). i have been quoted £238 for a "super-chip" by mini sport which they say will add 7 to 10 bhp.are there any other "chips" on the market that are better, or any other mods that can be done without spending loads of £££££££££££££££££.
hope you can help.thanks.  s:!: :!: s:!:

Superchips are rubbish. It wouldn't give that benefit. Superchips should only be put on Turbo diesel cars - and then theres FAR better and more mechanically sympathetic ways of doing things!

I'd save it and spend it on other mods, maybe an induction kit, sports cat or de-cat, an exhaust - something like that.

Best Regards,

Gareth.

SteveJ

We have a demonstrated increase from 138bhp (stock) to 159bhp using the Dastek Unichip + a'Pexi intake and tuned on the rolling road at Millway

The car in question is Martin's (mph) and was done as part of the prep for his custom turbo install.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"We have a demonstrated increase from 138bhp (stock) to 159bhp using the Dastek Unichip + a'Pexi intake and tuned on the rolling road at Millway

The car in question is Martin's (mph) and was done as part of the prep for his custom turbo install.

Yep, the Dastek is a much better bit of kit, it costs a lot more than a Superchip but at least you get proper results.

Gaz.

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"We have a demonstrated increase from 138bhp (stock) to 159bhp using the Dastek Unichip + a'Pexi intake

I thought he only dynoed the car after the install...?

I'm sure the 159hp is correct, but I doubt it had 138hp stock. For comparison, here's my stock dyno:
 m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/tmp/dyno.jpg m
(about 20.000km's at that time and only had the 1st year service done, nothing else)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "SteveJ"We have a demonstrated increase from 138bhp (stock) to 159bhp using the Dastek Unichip + a'Pexi intake

I thought he only dynoed the car after the install...?
Could always ask me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   The two dynos for the before & after installation of the Unichip where performed on the same day in what I'd consider stable atmospheric conditions. I tend to quote the 22bhp increase rather than the absolute numbers to avoid direct comparisions with other cars.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"Could always ask me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I was kinda sure you'd reply  s;) ;) s;)

Didn't find the dyno anywhere and remembered it only had the after-curve  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ENVY"I'd save it and spend it on other mods, maybe an induction kit, sports cat or de-cat, an exhaust - something like that.

Best Regards,

Gareth.

Can you supply a sports (high flow) cat by any chance Gareth?

crankshaft

Hi;

I am a newbie on this forum, and have read thru as many of the threads as I can, trying to pick up the lingo !.

Like mrloz, I am also looking for some advice on bolt-on power gains and understand that the Dastek Unichip is supplied un-programmed, and that it needs to be individually setup on a dyno ??!!

If this is correct, and I don't have easy access to a dyno, are there any known default configurations which could be used as a general starting point ??? and is there software supplied which can be run on a laptop to modify the settings via a USB port ???

Also, is the Apexi intake which was mentioned simply a replacement filter or is it a complete new intake system ???

Cheers

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

mph

Quote from: "crankshaft"Hi;

I am a newbie on this forum, and have read thru as many of the threads as I can, trying to pick up the lingo !.

Like mrloz, I am also looking for some advice on bolt-on power gains and understand that the Dastek Unichip is supplied un-programmed, and that it needs to be individually setup on a dyno ??!!

If this is correct, and I don't have easy access to a dyno, are there any known default configurations which could be used as a general starting point ??? and is there software supplied which can be run on a laptop to modify the settings via a USB port ???

Also, is the Apexi intake which was mentioned simply a replacement filter or is it a complete new intake system ???

Cheers

PeterC
The £400+VAT price for the Dastek includes fitting and mapping on the garage's dyno.

The A'PEXi is a replacement from stock filter box.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

crankshaft

Thanx so much for the info, is this the a'pexi filter ??  m http://www.racerwheel.com/engine-air-filter-apexi.html m

Is it a drop-in replacement or does the original airbox need to be removed or modified ?
2001 SMT - Pete

Slacey

The Apexi system you hear talked about is a complete replacement for the stock airbox, I'm not sure if they do a drop in filter, but I don't think so.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Hi ENVY
i like the splitter of red MR spyder in the pic of your website. Is it possible to buy it and where?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Maurizio

juansolo

Quote from: "mrloz"...or any other mods that can be done without spending loads of £££££££££££££££££.

IMO real noticable power increases never comes cheap and I refer you to my other post in the 180hp thread regarding why you want to do it.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Hi thanks for all the info re the uni-chip.i
i think at £400 fitted is pretty good for about 22 extra hp.
i am from Manchester does anyone know of a good garage that fit the Dastek and Apexi filter? once again thaks in advance for the info. MrLoz.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "crankshaft"Thanx so much for the info, is this the a'pexi filter ??  m http://www.racerwheel.com/engine-air-filter-apexi.html m

Is it a drop-in replacement or does the original airbox need to be removed or modified ?

Here Crankshaft, try this and you can see all the fit and the Apexi intake as well

http://www.spydermagazine.com/2000/Sept/Apexi/apexi.htm

what you had was the intake only, but you need the ducting as well   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: