2000 Sony headunit - no power

Started by Jaik, March 8, 2008, 14:07

Jaik

I picked my car up from the garage yesterday and noticed the headunit had no power (won't turn on, no clock etc). I checked the fuses today and the 15amp radio fuse in the passenger-side dashboard fuse box ("RADIO 1" I think) was blown. I've replaced this but it's still dead.

I've checked through the fuses in the boxes under the bonnet and in the engine bay too.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Get the garage to fix it!

Jaik

nelix, I'd love to, but it's just not going to happen. I've had an absolute nightmare dealing with them and trading standards are getting involved. I don't trust them to fix anything on the car at all and I can't waste another fortnight with them umming and ahhing over things whilst I have no car  s:( :( s:(

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Unlikely there is much wrong with it, in my experience.

Put a circiut tester om the live wire in...just before the unit...

Then check the eath on the same loom.

If the lives dead , suggest you relook at the fuses!!

Good luck,

B
W. B. Webster

aaronjb

Look at the fuses in the end of the dashboard, passenger side?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Jaik

Quote from: "aaronjb"Look at the fuses in the end of the dashboard, passenger side?
Done, I replaced the 15 amp radio one in that fusebox which was blown, but it's made no difference.

And regarding the garage, I won't be getting anything fixed there, but I will be taking legal action for them to cover my costs for a variety of problems the car now has because of them.

cclarke99

Don't forget that there are two fuses RADIO 1 & 2 in the fusebox. I would also agree with wbarrwebster that the best thing is to check for power on both the inputs to the radio (Grey and Blue/Yellow wires) and earth connection (brown wire)

Jaik

I've checked both of the fuses, the second (7.5 amp IIRC) was fine. I'll get my multimeter out tomorrow and go hunting.

I'm trying to think what would have caused it to blow a fuse and break something else at the same time  s:( :( s:(

SteveJ

You have checked the fuse in the unit itself haven't you? (hint: unplug the main connector to see it)

Jaik

Didn't even know there was one, Steve, thanks  s:) :) s:)

Jaik

A bit of fiddling with a screwdriver and one trip to the petrol station later and my headunit's working again. The fuse on the back of the unit had blown too. Thanks for the help guys  s:) :) s:)

Tags: