Dyno Question

Started by Peter Wright, January 4, 2004, 10:20

Peter Wright

Having a Dastek UniChip fitted in two weeks time and as regards to the Dynograph results would it make any difference if I had my 15" or 17" wheels on

Pete   s:) :) s:)
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Slacey

Good question Pete - I' not sure exactly how a rolling road works, but my G-Tech is dependent on the weight of the vehicle, meaning that as long as you compensate for heavier / lighter wheels, the result will be exactly the same. I think we need one of the techie guys on this one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"I think we need one of the techie guys on this one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I'm not one of them, but here goes anyway  s8) 8) s8)

Heavier wheels add to drivetrain loss, cause they need more power from the engine to make them roll, so you will get less rwhp with heavy wheels. If the dyno measures the drivetrain loss and uses it to calculate flywheel hp, the wheels don't matter. Over here just about any dyno does that, no idea about UK really.

If you know how different weight flywheels affect hp, wheels are pretty much the same.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MRMike

Yeah good question!  If i remember correctly Sean is right, if you set up the dyno properly taking into account any differences in size etc there will effectively be no difference to the power recorded on the dyno. However on the road, it is observable that a larger, heavier alloy will knock 0-60, 1/4 miles times etc as a result of an increase in unsprung mass, etc. The power at the flywheel has effectively not changed.

Here's a roundabout explanation of this..i think!

SPEED
at 10 kmph (6.1 Mph) you travel 10,000 metres per hour, or 166.67 metres (546 feet) per minute or 2.78 metres (9 feet) per second
26inch (Not saying put these on your MR2!! easier to calculate big no's!)has a tyre curcumferance of 1.990 metres (6.5 feet)
20inch has a tyre curcumferance of 1.275 metres (4.1 feet)

THEREFORE
a 26" wheel has to do 1.4 revelotions per second to do 10 Kmph
a 20" wheel has to do 2.2 revelotions per second to do 10 Kmph

But the tire is still traveling at the same speed (10 kmph), so
tyre size will not affect a tire driven dyno, if set up correctly.  I think thats right ! forgive me if im wrong!

The best tyre/performance comparison I have ever found is here

m http://www.siscom.net/~welter/racing/rotation.html m

It's really good spreadhseet if you ever intend changing wheels etc..although sometimes the lure of shiny chrome wheels is too much (I had 18" chrome kahns I know i know..destroyed the performance of my little pug!

Mike
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tem

I was assuming the tyre diameter was same with both wheels...  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

A rolling road dynamometer is NOT an accurate way of measuring specific power, due to there  being so many variables that can affect recorded power and so have to be compensated for.

However, it is an extremely good way of measuring changes in power, as long as when you are using a rolling road dyno you maintain all other variables bar the one you want to change between runs. things like air temps, fuel, tyre pressures etc...

i.e. As long as you dont switch betwwen 15"s and 17"s between runs they wont make a blind bit of difference, as any influence they have on the dyno will be be the same before and after fitting and will therefore be cancelled out...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: