Stopping Power

Started by alancdavis, March 16, 2008, 22:08

alancdavis

Gave the car a blast out today and after driving my Mondeo all week I have decided the brakes on my 2 leave a lot of room for improvement,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Has any one fit larger discs and calipers,,,,,I am not even sure if such a mod is avalable ?
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

RBF600 brake fluid and s/s brake lines (i.e. Goodridge ones). Get them and then see what you think, they'll make more of a difference than going to a larger brake setup.

Bear in mind that if you can get the ABS to trigger then you don't need bigger brakes at all as you're already capable of locking the wheels.

Wabbitkilla

Ditto - get some braided brake lines fitted and fill them up with Dot5.1 fluid and you'll find they're much improved.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Jaik

What exactly is it that you're looking to improve? In terms of actual stopping power I've always felt the brakes are pretty good, and they stand up to track use without fading.

alancdavis

Thanks guys,,,,,looks like I am in the market for a new set of lines    s:D :D s:D
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

alancdavis

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Spider ... dZViewItem m
Are these what you gents mean ?

Anonymous

That's them. The price is about right too.

ChrisGB

Hmmm

Have a think about what it is that you don't like about the MR2 brakes. Is it a case of them not stopping you as much as the Mondeo brake for a given amount of pressure? You have to press the pedal harder to stop? If so, this could just be a result of the Mondeo having a more assisted servo.

Or... is it the case that regardless of how hard you press the pedal, the Mondeo stops quicker? Don't be fooled by the relative lack of dive under braking that the MR2 has compared to the Mondeo. More dive makes the car feel like it is stopping quicker.

The reason I ask is that the MR2 brakes are the best I have ever seen on a road car at sensible money. I have tested them against a friends 2.0 Focus and the Focus (on good tyres) took much longer to stop than the MR2 did (on stock RE040s).

If your car really is not stopping well, I suggest there may be something amiss with the system. Check out pad condition as a first check. Are they Mr T pads? These are very good in my experience.

Regards upgrading. There are some pads you can use. Some performance pads need lots of heat to work, so do not make great road pads. I reckon Mintex Extreme a good balance. Work OK when cold, heat up to working temperature fast (a long speed reduction from highish speed when they are cold allows you to literally feel the bite change as the heat gets into the surface of the pads and discs) and seem very fade resistant. They have excellent progression, are easy to modulate and are not grabby like some more competition focussed pads. Cheap too compared to Ferodo DS2500s.

Stainless steel braided brake lines will make an improvement to the feel and control you have over the brakes. The pedal pressure is translsted to retardation in a more proportional fashion. You wont really notice it until you are slowing / stopping hard but it is a really good upgrade. I have done it on bikes and cars in the past and never been anything less than impressed.

Hope this is food for thought.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Hi Alan

I think you have to look at it from another point of view, your car stands for long period of times - as mine, in which case your discs rust and takes a while for them to start working correctly. If this continues over a period of time your brakes do go off.

This is one of the main reasons I changed to EBC, with them been slotted and dimpled it's always cleaning the pad which in turn cleans the disc which keeps the brakes working at the standard you expect.

I've also got the DOT 5.1 fluid and the stainless hoses and what you described kept happening to me, even with these fitted, but once the EBC were fitted - no problem.

I'm not saying EBC are the best, any slotted disc is going to help, the downside is they do produce dust due to the nature of the cleaning action.

Good luck
Rob

alancdavis

Great advice Guys,,,,,,I now think the problem is that the pedel feels much softer than the Ford,,,maybr the new lines will solve this
Thanks again for all to good advice.   s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

Wothout all the complexity of what's been said above (i checked the garage and noticed you have slotted disks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), then braided lines and dot5.1 will defintely improve what you're feeling.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Wothout all the complexity of what's been said above (i checked the garage and noticed you have slotted disks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), then braided lines and dot5.1 will defintely improve what you're feeling.

Well spotted that man   s:D :D s:D    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  The other thing I do is run the car after I've cleaned it, drys the disc before I put it in the garage.

Thanks
Rob

roger

Or of course they might just need a bleed or change of brake fluid.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Liz

I have the same feeling as Alan - if I pump the brakes they come up lovely and the pedal feel is there immediately - must get around to bleeding mine!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

alancdavis

Did I see another thread about the goverment bleeding all of us    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

kanujunkie

stop it you!!!!

or you'll get me started again  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

alancdavis

Forgot to ask,,  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ,,,How much fluid do I need to buy and what will be the best brand   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

kanujunkie

1L will be enough to leave you some for fill ups as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

alancdavis

Cheers,,,,,now I need find someone who sells it

ChrisGB

Quote from: "alancdavis"Forgot to ask,,  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ,,,How much fluid do I need to buy and what will be the best brand   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Motul RBF600 or RBF660. At least 1 litre so you can flush all the old stuff out.

Quote from: "Liz"I have the same feeling as Alan - if I pump the brakes they come up lovely and the pedal feel is there immediately - must get around to bleeding mine!

Hmmm...

If you find the pedal travel firms up after pumping it up, the chances are you have something allowing the pistons to move back too far. Could this be the handbrake mechanism on these cars?

If the brake fluid has air in and needs bleeding, the pedal will feel spongy / springy and will travel too far while giving less stopping.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

spit

Quote from: "alancdavis"Cheers,,,,,now I need find someone who sells it

I got a very good deal and advice on fluid from Demon Tweeks. Worth a punt if you're struggling locally Alan.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

spit

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Liz"I have the same feeling as Alan - if I pump the brakes they come up lovely and the pedal feel is there immediately - must get around to bleeding mine![/qiote]

Hmmm...

If you find the pedal travel firms up after pumping it up, the chances are you have something allowing the pistons to move back too far. Could this be the handbrake mechanism on these cars?

I've wondered this too, and never considered it as abnormal. Some days it "feels" better than others but my brakes have been fully serviced and checked and I'm assured there's nothing sinister at play.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ChrisGB

Quote from: "alancdavis"Cheers,,,,,now I need find someone who sells it

Opie Oils:

w www.opieoils.co.uk w

Excellent service every time for me.

Chris

Tags: