Engine/Revving problems

Started by Anonymous, March 27, 2008, 08:25

Anonymous

Hi Guys

I've been reading around a lot on here, but can't find anything exactly like my problem, so hopefully someone can advise me.

I (possibly foolishly) bought a relatively cheap induction kit, along with one of those chips off Ebay that claim to increase bhp etc - only for the simple reason that for a low cost, it was worth a try.

I am a bit uneasy now with attaching the chip, mainly after reading a few comments on these pages, but I wonder whether anyone could explain the pros/cons of it?

However, I put the air filter in, thinking there would be nothing wrong, but now I can only rev to 1500 and if I try and do more than say 10mph in first gear, 20mph in second etc, it sort of 'chugs' or stutters, so quite obviously something is up.

I've only done a small journey, but wonder whether I should put the old one back in before I do any damage, or is this some other problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

markiii

ref teh chip, it's likely jusdt a resistior that fools teh ecu into running full choke, skip it.

ref teh air filter was i just a filter? or an induction kit? if the latter can you posta  link or piccies
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

m http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... %3ECAR.htm m

That's the one. As I said, thought it was a cheap one to start with (just to see if it worked) but the problems weren't occuring beforehand

markiii

so how did you fit it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I got a friend to do it for me, as he had the same one in his car. He took the old filter out - which caused a maintenance light to come on as the sensor isn't attached to anything, and just replaced it with that one. Was it a bad idea?

aaronjb

Wait... you don't have your MAF sensor in place at all?

If that's true then:

1) Punch your friend repeatedly in the head until they are unconscious and bleeding
2) Remove pile of crap from engine bay and refit everything as it was originally
3) Kick friend while (hopefully) still on floor
4) Never speak to friend again

On the 'chip':

Pros: It'll do squat
Cons: It'll do squat
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Right, I think I get the picture!

Thanks for the help, being a novice to this I didn't exactly do my research before jumping in the deep end. My bad

aaronjb

You could, actually, butcher your stock airbox so that the universal filter fitted where the giant box used to be.. but for my money it's a much better idea to buy a decent - well known - brand intake if you want extra noise.

And I do heartily recommend the extra noise  s:) :) s:)

The Apexi intake works well, as does (I believe) the AEM - neither are particularly cheap, but both are designed specifically for our cars.  Fitting involves relocating the MAF (the sensor you spoke of) into a custom-designed housing for the filter, and popping it into the engine bay.

It's not hard really (OK, fitting my Apexi without instructions did involve an hour of staring at it wondering where all the support bracketry went), and it'll work flawlessly.

I wasn't kidding about the 'chip' though  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Wabbitkilla

Hi Kris and welcome to the club.

Yep, I'm afraid you've got a dud there.

If you do a search for CAI, Induction, Air Filter, you'll pick up what's good and bad. You'll find a bit of discussion about what's best too, but it's rare for an induction kit to give you more power, but it's best to get one that is designed for your car. Argos is never going to supply anything worthwile in that arena.

Also search PPE intake, Injen, Apexi.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Kris87"I got a friend to do it for me, as he had the same one in his car. He took the old filter out - which caused a maintenance light to come on as the sensor isn't attached to anything, and just replaced it with that one. Was it a bad idea?
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Post of the year, right there. We might as well shut up shop now, that's a classic!  s:D :D s:D

uktotty

I have the AEM Cold Air Intake, lots of guys have the Apexi, both seem equally as good, go buy a proper one mate  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Right, took it out, and along with the resistor, they went straight in the bin.  Glad to say all the problems have cleared up. I think I will do as you said and look at paying for a bit of quality. Thanks all

spit

As an Apexi user I have to say they sound soooo nice.

Glad you got sorted matey. And welcome to the ROC.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Liz

I want an Apexi again - but would probably null and void my TTE warranty...boo

Welcome along Kris, your in the best place for advice on the '2.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"I want an Apexi again - but would probably null and void my TTE warranty...boo

Don't worry, you don't get "the noise" with a turbo anyway  s:( :( s:(

Liz

But Ste says it does  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    I do like the spooling whistle - that keeps me amused even if only I can hear it!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Ah well you do get "more" noise, but it's not the same noise as you got NA - certainly not on mine, anyway.. you no longer get to hear the individual cylinders sucking in air, it's more of a constant sucking noise (ooer)..

Though it's hard to hear mine over the exhaust  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

I used to hear a more muted version of the NA with the PE turbo and Apexi, but it wasn't as loud and throaty , and didn't have the sustain of the NA. Still my favourite filter though!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

My bad Liz. Yes, the Apexi sounds great now - but more wooshy with a cool dump on the recirc BOV .... but I had one on the '2 for a while before going boostie aswell, and it sounded fab. I miss that growling.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: