EBC Discs problem

Started by 1000 PR, April 3, 2008, 13:15

1000 PR

I bought and fitted EBC turbo groove discs with standard EBC pads back in November and they seemed to rub on the pads as if they were warped, producing an annoying ticking/rubbing/whistling sound.  The problem got worse rather than better so by February, I asked EBC about the problem and they supplied me with a replacement set of discs free of charge.  The new discs were better but not perfect and I took off the pad friction plates to try and reduce the rubbing.  I have dismantled and re-assembled the brakes about 10 times now to try and cure things and have thoroughly cleaned the hub face and wheel centre but the problem still exists and is more noticeable now that I'm driving with the hood down more frequently.  I haven't seen any other threads on the forum of similiar problems so any advice would be great.

Wabbitkilla

Hi, i've got those discs and black stuff pads like you.

I've witnessed Ste's before I got them and you do get a constant 'sizzle' when driving. Obviously it gets louder when you apply the brakes.

It's caused as the grooves pass the pad surfaces, and a certain amount of nse appears to be normal and nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this happens with other grooved discs, but suspect it does.

It is also worth checking you don't have a sticky calliper piston and the float slides are functioning properly for the callipers.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

normanh

Silly question but have you got the discs on the correct side of the car as they are likely to be handed. Its all to do with the direction of rotation of the wheel and the fact that the grooves need to be effectively in a postion of a tangent to the circumference to the disc. My son pointed out me a good few at the Feb meet off the M11 had them fitted wrong. He can be bright and a smart a--- at times.

normanh

1000 PR

The sizzle effect is sort of ok and as you say due to the grooved and dimple effect but maybe I'll have to turn the stereo up to stop it annoying me! A friend has the same type discs on his MX5 but without the sizzle.

If I jack the car up and spin the wheel you can hear it rubbing very slightly at 1 point every revolution so I'm sure there's something not quite right.  I've greased the sliders and so on, so my last resort will be to take the disc off and have it checked on a lathe.......ho hum

spit

With greenstuff pads on mine, but yes to the frying bacon. Either its eased off a bit now or I've got used to it.

As for the rub-per-revolution, thats certainly abnormal.  s:? :? s:?  Is it just occuring on one wheel when you jack and spin? And was it on the same wheel before you did the replacement?

Mileage? I'm thinking (quietly for the moment) maybe wear in the hub bearing....
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

carl_evs

Have to keep an ear out for this as have just fitted EBC discs and Green Stuff pads to mine!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

1000 PR

Mileage is 85k so hub wear is possible although I didn't notice anthing with the old standard discs.  It seems to rub more on the driver's side than the passenger for some reason.  I tried taking the discs off and turning them on a bolt hole to see if this helped.  The noise is worse at about 30-50 mph, so I can't re-create this with the car stationary and at motorway speed the engine/tyre/wind noise helps to deafen the sound.  I tried checking the hubs with a micrometer for imbalance but there was nothing perceptable until I put the disc on.  So it's either new discs or a trip to the garage I guess!

Tags: