Car fixed, now need tyres and downpipe

Started by pauljb, April 4, 2008, 10:28

pauljb

Right guys,

Well took it to a mechanic and things arent good

First one said something to do with the bearings / crank etc and said would need either a complete engine rebuild or a new engine.

Second mechanic said same problem but said you can replace the shells at bottom as long as no damage to the crank.

Had my dad have a look at it. He said he can replace the shells himself.

However checked the oil again and no oil. Only just filled it with oil two months ago! Y is  this?

If precats are gone the engine would go pretty quickly after that.

Obviously thats y the cranks are broke

Anonymous

Precat failure, engine is fubared, sorry, you will also need a new main cat.

pauljb

If its precat failure how come the engine is still going strong?

It would wreck the engine.

THe engine is still in great form, goes well still!

Anonymous

You have no oil, but the engine is running fine?

pauljb

Yes,

Its not that i have no oil at all, its just not regeistering on the dip stick. It only was once you started the engine. I added a litre of oil  there now and it is just above the empty part of the dipstick now. SO it has ran from F to E in a couple of months

Anonymous

Still sounds like precat failure to me if you are using so much oil.

pauljb

What other signs are there of pre cat failure?

Anonymous

Read this

Hope im wrong Paul.

pauljb

Also could it be do with am using fully synthetic 5w30 oil?

pauljb

I know but am still not convinced.

I still have all power, even though i have strange noises in the engine.

Y would toyota not get this fixed on there cars.

Surely all cars would have the same problem and all die?

Anonymous

Only a small amount.Toyota will cover you up to 7 years if you have sevice history.
What age is your car?

Anonymous

Paul

You need to understand that although you still have power the basic items that hold your pistons to your crank (big ends) are sounding like they are well and truely knackered, so you will go so far then the whole lot will go bang.

The main cause of engine failure is oval bores, this in turn cause the pre-cats to break up, which in turn destroy your bearings, but you will still maintain power because your cylinders have not worn as quickly as your bearing - softer material (white metal).

So replacing your bearing is not a good idea because it's not really solving the main cause of engine failure - oval bores, thin oil is not going to help.

Have you taken it to Toyota for an oil check - what is the date of manufacture of your car?  - Nelix you beat me to it  s:D :D s:D  

Good luck - but it's not sounding very good.

Rob.

pauljb

May car is 2001 Y, i think september

Anonymous

Quote from: "pauljb"May car is 2001 Y, i think september

OK that's a good start, as the car got a service history or at least part?? If yes then get yourself down to Toyota, tell them you have used all your oil in a very short period and you now have a bad rattle. Also refer them to the 7 year warranty that Toyota offer on the engine.

You will need to push.

Rob

RacingSnake

Paul,
So sorry to hear the ominous updates   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   hope you can get some joy with that extended warranty method.
Good luck matey

pauljb

Hi guys,

I will try and do that. My only problem maybe that my car is from some a toyota dealer in the westlands (not sure were abouts that is in england) but i live over in northern Ireland!  s:( :( s:(

That maybe a problem.

Any one else got there engine fixed with the warrenty

Anonymous

Quote from: "pauljb"Hi guys,

I will try and do that. My only problem maybe that my car is from some a toyota dealer in the westlands (not sure were abouts that is in england) but i live over in northern Ireland!  s:( :( s:(

That maybe a problem.

Any one else got there engine fixed with the warrenty

I don't think that should be a problem, as long as they are Toyota garages.

Yes there is a few people on here who have had replacement engines supplied under the scheme, try a search you should find most of them.

Good luck

Rob

pauljb

Hi guys,

Phoned up toyota UK service and talked to them. They checked that the car was within the 7 years and told me to talk to my local dealer. So i did and they said to bring the car round and they will have a look and put in a request form with toyota to get it repaired. I havent told them though that the car service book isnt complete as the last service was done by my dad. But with toyota parts! So i will get it round to them and cross fingers and see.

However the guy said they have had alot of problems with that engine!

Anonymous

That's good news - just keep pushing.

Also don't forget about the main cat - it will require replacement as part of the repair - due to oil / pre-cat contamination.

Regards

Rob

pauljb

Tho they also said that they would prob only replace the bottom part of the engine with the crank shafts. That still wouldnt solve the problem with the pre cats etc. Which i mentioned to him and he hasnt heard about any problems with them.

Anonymous

Let them agree to the repair then insist that they replace the main cat as it is now blocked with oil and precat debris, if they dont the new engine will go the same way. As soon as you get the car back gut the precats or replace the manifold with a che manifold.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "pauljb"though they also said that they would probably only replace the bottom part of the engine with the crank shafts. That still wouldnt solve the problem with the pre cats etc. Which i mentioned to him and he hasnt heard about any problems with them.

What you will need to have replaced is the short block. The initial cause of these problems is oil consumption resulting from oval bores or oil ring ineffectiveness. Either way, a new short block should see the cause rectified and the knocking bottom end fixed.

As others have said, the catalysts will probably need replacement if the precats have started to break up and block the main.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Wabbitkilla

Ahem...

Precats and main cat WILL NEED REPLACING, there is no probably about it.

They will all be contaminated by oil reducing their performance and causing back pressure.

Plus of course the precats will have started to disintegrate.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Ahem...

Precats and main cat WILL NEED REPLACING, there is no probably about it.

They will all be contaminated by oil reducing their performance and causing back pressure.

Plus of course the precats will have started to disintegrate.

Sounds like the precats have not crumbled, as the engine still revs out fine. Could be that the main cat is just fine, but the precats may have been damaged by the high oil consumption.

If Mr T offers to do the lot, all well and good, if however they will only replace the short engine, then I would take out the precats in case they have been heat damaged by the oil in the exhaust gas. If they have not crumbled, the main cat will not be blocked and there is every chance, still working well enough for MOT purposes.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Surely the main cat will be full of oil?

Tags: