Which way round do the brake pads go?

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2008, 17:24

Anonymous

I'm just about to fit a new set of disks/pads.

Looking in the How To section at the guide on replacing the rears you can clearly see a bent piece of metal attached to the outboard pad which I assume is a wear indicator. When I look at the guide on replacing the fronts this piece of metal is not visible which makes me think it's on the inboard pad. I would have expected them to both be on the inboard pad since that seems to wear more quickly.

Strangely enough though, on my car the front is on the inboard pad and the rear is on the outboard pad. Can someone with access to the manual or the parts catalogue let me know if that's right? Or should they both be on the same side, in which case, which one?  s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

Outer pad on the rear:

[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

You're keeping me in suspenders here Aaron.

And the fronts ...?

aaronjb

Inner pad on the fronts (there's no good exploded diagram of that, unfortunately)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Very strange!?

Thanks very much, I notice the pads are 'handed' as well with the wear indicator to the rear.

Tags: