6x9's in the cubby hole

Started by Anonymous, January 8, 2004, 15:15

Anonymous

Hey I have seen 6x9's in the 2's cubby holes .. how many of you have them and recommend them?!

Do they take much space up?  I can't imagien that they take up too much of the cubby hole but suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated   s:P :P s:P

Slacey

I have Sony Xplod jobbies in there (I'll dig up the pics in a mo) and for what I need they are great - enough bass and clarity, without the need for a sub.
The space they take up is negligible, if you mount them up in the corners.

OK found it, look here...
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

pics wud be great .. yeah I am thinking of getting some pioneers and mounting them in the top corner.  do is it sound awesome .. or is it a bit insane having 6x9's that close the old ear drum?

Slacey

Quote from: "floater"I am thinking of getting some pioneers and mounting them in the top corner.  do is it sound awesome .. or is it a bit insane having 6x9's that close the old ear drum?
Do you mean in the corner like I have? If so, it's quite a way from your head when you are 6'4"!
To me they sound the nuts (TM), I'm really pleased with them, a decent H/U helps as well though.

If you want any more pics than those in the link above, let me know as I'm taking a few pics of other stuff Saturday.

Anonymous

yeah slacey they are what I am planning on doing ... your Sony's look class!  I liked the look of Pioneers but the Xplods maybe the way forward how much were they if you do not mind my asking?  How did you cut the holes?  I have an Alpine head unit so should be ok on th eHU side.

Slacey

They are the Sony XSV6933.... I got them here, £43 excluding shipping. Bargain for the results if you ask me.

As for cutting the holes, I used a Dremel with the cutting discs, and it was hard work! The platic inside the doors is fibrous and thicker than you think.

Anonymous

what are the vibration levels like?  convenientley I have a dremel so might have to use it for once  s;) ;) s;)  .. do many of the panels vibrate bad .. is the door strong enough to have the weight of 6x9s?  I imagine theya re stronger that they look!!

Slacey

I've put some door-style weather strip around the door, and get no vibrations or rattles AT ALL. I was amazed to say the least. I also have some foam baffles to cover them, the sound didn't seem to change any when I fitted them, but I put them on to make the install look tidy more than anything.
I'll definately take some more pics so you can see what I'm on about  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

superb mate that wud be great!  come early spring when I can have the roof down this will be done I think!  it looks awesome and I imagine it sounds superb!

Anonymous

you can use a dremel like i did but have a hacksaw blade to hand as the plastic re-melts after you cut the holes, so you need the blade to cut the melted bits.depends how high you crank the stereo.i was getting a bit of vibro from the storage doors but i put some draft excluder around the edges and it stopped.

Slacey

A couple more pics...

The rear of the speakers with the baffles and sealing strip:

Anonymous

they look awesome mate ... I love the clean install .. so how did u put the foam over the back is that custom?  I assume soo .. I would want to do that too protect them from getting damaged as my cubby hoels generally are full of stuff..  cheers sean!

Slacey

The foam baffles I have are commercoally available, but only from one supplier in the US that won't (yet) ship internationally!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I had to ask one of the Spyderchat members to run the transaction for me and then send them on to the UK.

Anonymous

hmmm thats rubbish   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  !!  Never mind ... any ideas as to how to create a similar effect a the back of 6x9s can be a little bit sharp cant they.

Slacey

Not too sure. If you or anyone else wants some, I'm sure my American friends will be willing to help out again.

Tags: