Tyres - your opinions much appreciated please?

Started by Anonymous, January 8, 2004, 19:14

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"thats what I'm going for anyway.

Well when it comes to anything MR2 i trust you, steve, martin etc... so if your going for that so will I!

<edit> although just checking, the rears will be 3.6% out with 215/40/16, so 60 will actually be 57.8. Fronts will be 1.5% too fast so 60 would be 59.1... wonder if that cancels the other out slightly?!?   s:? :? s:?  </edit>

<edit 2> just found a full set of Toyo Proxys in 195/50/15 & 225/40/16 for a grand total of £170!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  </edit 2>

markiii

now heres what you've got to bear in mind.

my oem wheels are 15"

I've now purchased teh same 16" rear wheels you have, but your gearing is designed for them, mine isn't.

so a 215/45/16 compared to a 215/40/16 is a much bigger difference than a 205/50/15 compared to a 215/40/16

hence why you would probably be better with a 225. Not just because your contatc patches will be more consistent but because your gearign ratios will be closer.

I I ran your stock rears then I'd actually be slower.

For your car 195 front 225 rear makes most sense.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"<edit 2> just found a full set of Toyo Proxys in 195/50/15 & 225/40/16 for a grand total of £170!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  </edit 2>

Kris,

Toyo do the Proxys in 195/55/15 and 225/45/16.

Is this not a better match as the only seem to be 10mm wider the stock.............. or am I just being dim ?

Puggman

Tem

This thread might be worth reading:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=834 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "puggman"Kris,

Toyo do the Proxys in 195/55/15 and 225/45/16.

Is this not a better match as the only seem to be 10mm wider the stock.............. or am I just being dim ?

Puggman

If you increase the width, you generally need to decrease the height of the tyre to compensate (  m http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc m  ) and the size that im looking at instead of stock seems to be closer to the stock rolling radius, or at least my speedo wont say 60 and im actually going faster (slower is fine by me).

juansolo

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"as Martin has suggest, i may try the Yokohama Advan Neovas (LTS) which were made for the lotus, but JuanSolo uses them and thinks they are the absolute mutts! Only thing is they really aint cheap - a full set will set you back about £450!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

You can get a set for £400 but that's the cheapest I've seen.  Another disadvantage is that you cannot roatate or swap them to maximise wear and you can only get them in pairs.  Luckily they last a long time.  Fronts are still spot on, on my second set of rears, though there was easily a couple of trackdays left in them, one was illegal  s:( :( s:(

Superb wear, superb track manners.  You need to get the pressures right as if you run Toyota reccomended they're like driving on ice in the wet  (they have very stiff tyrewalls in comparison to say the Bridgestones).  I go for 32 rear 24 front which makes it turn in nicely and a little lively at the back.

Expensive yes, but they are the danglies.

Edited to add:  They're 225x45 16 rears and 195x50 15 fronts IIRC with absoutely no issues.

QuoteI seem to recall being told once that wider, lower profile tyres didn't necessarily mean more grip

Absolutely correct.  Not to mention that bigger tyres mean more unsprung weight which can also have a detrimental effect on handling.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Well ive just ordered a set of Toyo Proxes in the sizes above. Seeing as they are only £170 for a full set, if i decide i dont like them its not a massive loss like it would be if i hated the F1's or something.

I'll let you know how i get on with them once ive scrubbed them in.

Anonymous

I just got the F1's in 195/50/15 & 215/40/16's - great tyres!
Much prefer the handling to the stock tyres. And the smaller size rears do wonders for the performance!
And £240 for a set which kinda swung it for me!   s:D :D s:D  

Jon

Anonymous

I'd like to try the Proxys or F1's. Where are you guys ordering these tyres ?

cheers,
Gordon

Anonymous

Tags: