More on the clonking.........

Started by Anonymous, January 9, 2004, 11:31

Anonymous

Quote from: "paul russell"c_a_r_t_e_r.......have you replaced your front tyres yet? If so, what effect did it have on the clonking?

Paul

Hi there.

Yes I have, sorry, forgot to post. Got 2 new 195/50/15 Bridgestone S03s for the front, and I think the clonking has gone away! Haven't really listened out for it properly yet though, but it's not "in my face"(!) like it was before... will investigate fully later tonight when it's not wet/icy/gravelly underfoot.

Cheers,
Tim.

Anonymous

Mine is in the dealers overnight for this at the moment (amongst other things).

Hoping that tomorrow will be as cold and icey as today.

Though I've still no faith in them finding it, let alone the other problems.  Will let you know though.

Anonymous

Righty, they replaced the top mounts, and this morning was cold and icey and exactly the same thing happened.

So I'm guessing one of three possible scenarios:
1) They didn't change the mounts at all.
2) The mount design is flawed.
3) It's nothing to do with the mounts and is the tyres/weather.

I favour the later at the moment.  Have new tyres on order, so guess I'll find out soon.

Anonymous

Yep, I am beginning to agree now. I have noticed that the clonking is definately weather related. I shall keep an eye on this myself though.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"2) The mount design is flawed.

Thats what my dealer thinks - they are waiting for a mod from Mr T to come out. Im going to have to go back soon as the clonking in mine is getting worse... when i stop, when i turn over a bump in the road etc...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Kris, I wonder if you and I are suffering different problems.... perhaps.  As mine is litteraly only when I reverse out of my parking space after a night settled, on a cold morning.

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"Kris, I wonder if you and I are suffering different problems.... perhaps.  As mine is litteraly only when I reverse out of my parking space after a night settled, on a cold morning.
That's how mine was, but the top mounts did fix mine  s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"That's how mine was, but the top mounts did fix mine  s:? :? s:?

Interesting... I've had mine done twice now and neither has solved the problem.  Strange.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Kris, I wonder if you and I are suffering different problems.... perhaps.  As mine is litteraly only when I reverse out of my parking space after a night settled, on a cold morning.

Phil4, I get this too. Much worse lately. Always reversing (full lock right) when cold. Dealer reckoned it was the power steering hose. Apparently the later ones have a different (larger) hose which cures this (and at a cost of £322 retrofit). I think he's talking bollocks. Why? I mentioned that this was getting worse: the last couple of weeks I reverse about 15 feet (in an arc on full lock) and the steering kicks back quite hard. I get this every day leaving work.

I can't imagine changing to Toyo's (which I will do soon) will cure this. Hope so, but I doubt it.

Maybe we should print out all these threads and send them to Toyota UK...

Anonymous

well i have toyos and its still there on mine. i get a BAD clock when i go over a bump while turning, say pulling onto your drive and its hard to turn the wheel to full lock when reversing. Going to try to go to Mr T this weekend to get it booked in i think.

Anonymous

I'm changing to Toyos tomorrow.  Mine tends to be worse the colder it is.  I'll let you know what it's like post Toyo fit.

markiii

take it easy for the first couple of hundred they take a while to scrub off the release agent.

alos I'd advise upping the pressures a little as the sidewalls are sodter than stock.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks Mark, will do.

Slacey

Mine are being fitted tomorrow too, what do you recommend? 28 / 34 about right?

markiii

I'd go 34 at the rear and stock at the front.

if she feels understeery drop the fronts a little.

be carefull.

going from such small sidewalls on your 17" the first couple of miles may feel very strange , you'll change direction hard and thing teh back ends coming round. likely you'll overcompensate, sh*t me up something chronic the first time I went back to 15"
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

I'll take it easy then, thanks Mark  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Mine was clonking badly when reversing out of my drive, especially in the cold. My dealer changed the power steering hose under warranty. It seems to have cured the problem, but the weather has been warmer since it was done on Wednesday...... so fingers crossed!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Well my '2 is booked in for the 23rd of this month.... FOR 3-4 DAYS! mainly the clonking which they are fine about replacing the top mounts but are going through my list of faluts again and will fix them all in one go... i can live with that, but can i live with a yaris for a week!   s:? :? s:?    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

at the risk of sounding really silly, because im no expert, but could it be anything to do with the tempreture of the tyres? my 2 makes this clonkin noise in full lock going foward and backwards but only ever on cold days in the summer the car was fine!
prehaps if the tyres are cold there just not pickin up grip properly at full lock and gettin pushed str8 forward or pulled backwards on the cold floor rather than actually making the car turn in the direction there turned towards?
I got a feelin im gonna get taken the piss out of someone now for this theory ha ha

Anonymous

Nope, your theory has a lot of basis as it turns out. I went and got both mounts AND the power steering pipes changed under warranty for the very reasons. The knocking eventually came back. But, it did only seem to happen either on cold or damp days. I took it back to MrT and they said they couldn't find anything and had a listen and said that all they could hear was the tyres "skipping" across the tarmac when turned with a lot of lock. I thought they were fobbing me off, but I changed my stock Bridgestones to Toyos and the noise has never re-appeared in wet or dry. But with the stocks on, any time it was wet or cold, back came the knocking.

So, I reckon, for once, I would have to eat humble pie and admit that this time MrT either got a very lucky hit or they knew about this and diagnosed correctly.

So, nope, I am not going to flame you!   s8) 8) s8)    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I've been through the whole clunking experience with my June '02 Danish sourced '2. The problem was evident on reversing under full lock in cold conditions.  The top mounts were replaced under warranty, with no prior conviction from myself that it would work, and there was absolutely no improvement.
The alternative plausible explanation was that there was a design fault, resulting in the springs winding themselves up under these conditions. It certainly seemed that way, when the tension was released in the form of a clunk.
If replacement of the top mounts and other items does not cure the problem then surely Toyota cannot be that stupid to fix something that isn't broke. The reason must be that they are aware that there is a design fault and these relativly cheap "fixes" under warranty are a way of making the problem go away until most owners are out of warranty.
I believe there might be a big contribution from the original Bridgestone tyres but I have not had the opportunity to change mine yet, as I am only at 14.5 k miles after 33 months.  Oddly, the front tyres are wearing excessively on their inners and will need changing before the 1st MOT due in June.
It will be interesting to see whether alternative tyres will ease the clunking problem.  The Bridgestones are very prone to tramrailing on worn road surfaces and I can believe that they are part of the problem.

Anonymous

Had both front struts changed not so long ago and recently fitted new Yoko tyres all round, I still get a really healthy "clunk" when reversing in full lock.

Nothing feels loose on the steering and it still drives like a dream, I would probably go with Bill's suggestion that the springs are centralising in the saddle.

If anything falls off or I discover something else, you will be informed.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I have the problem still, after my dealer lubricated the top mounts.  This failed and they have now offered to replace the top mounts under warranty.   Watch this space.

My car is on the stock Yokos so the problem is limited to Bridgestones!

My car is due for some new tyres and I'm waiting for a delivery of Toyos T1R s and so this will eliminate a tyre related cause....

As I said, watch this space.......

Andrew

Anonymous

Hi,

New to the forum, so apologies for resurrecting this thread, but...

I have a 2000 W-reg MR2 (AC + Hard Top) that I have owned for around 8 months now.
It's completely stock, and has just been back to Toyota to sort a (very) squeaky clutch - this was replaced - and the clonking from the front mentioned in this thread, they did a mod on the steering for this which seemed to cure it for a short while but it's back and seems to be directly as described here, i.e.:

It happens on cold mornings (cooler genereally seems to mean more obvious) or when the car has been standing on a cold day.
Mainly noticeable the first time I reverese out of the drive on full lock.
It feels as thought the suspension or tyres are 'skipping' and I hear that knocking/clonking noise.

Anyway, please could anybody tell me if there was ever a final solution for this. If it's suspension mounts then I might be able to get it done under the used car warranty.

Tyres seem a popular resolution but these are fairly new. I would really appreciate it if anybody has any more news on this.

Thanks.

Tem

Quote from: "rick"apologies for resurrecting this thread

Take that back!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  It's great to see someone new using the search and browsing old topics before making a new one  s8) 8) s8)

Quote from: "rick"Anyway, please could anybody tell me if there was ever a final solution for this.

I don't think there was. Some seem to get rid of it with this and some with that. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't.  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: