More on the clonking.........

Started by Anonymous, January 9, 2004, 11:31

Anonymous

If what Grant says is correct then it may also mean that it could be more noticeable on stock worn tyres due to their stiffer side walls and harder rubber.

Tem

Quote from: "edward.carter"
Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "rick"Now... I'll have to look into lubing those top mounts...
Anybody done it?  s8) 8) s8)

Yeah...I did that when I installed the Sportivo and the noise was gone for two years or so. So that might very well be it...

is this a simple job ?

It is when you have them in your hand  s8) 8) s8)

Don't really remember if you have access to them when they are in the car..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

huriant

What a forum. My 2 has been clonking on cold mornings in reverse. Did a search, found this thread and what I believe to be the answer from Grant, namely "Ackerman steering geometry" !!

Will keep an eye on it though to see if it gets any worse over winter.

Thanks for the info guys.   s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "huriant"What a forum. My 2 has been clonking on cold mornings in reverse. Did a search, found this thread and what I believe to be the answer from Grant, namely "Ackerman steering geometry" !!

Will keep an eye on it though to see if it gets any worse over winter.

Thanks for the info guys.   s:) :) s:)
Oh yes low tyre thread depth along with cold mornings are the worse combo for this reversing full lock issue  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Brilliant thread! Searched for clonking and yes! here is the answer.

My sequence of events is reversed. I switched out of my stock rims to 17s all round with falkens in the first week of getting the car. No clonking.

Then I switched back to the stock 15 front, 16 rear with Yoko a034 (stock) and the clonking started.

So by inference, this is the cause. Looks like I'll be looking for a new set of tyres soon.

Just being a devil's advocate, can this daily skipping in cold weather cause the suspension mounts to weaken such that they need changing prematurely?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Any ideas at what sort of mileage these mounts start to become worn?

kanujunkie

mine started to go around 60K although it depends on the amount of grit and dirt that gets up there, can be sooner or later
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Mine were always a bit grumbly (from about 30K onward) - now at 55K they're very grindy when doing 3-point turns..

Soon to be replaced by nice Tein mounts  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

The last post in this forum was some time ago now but I wanted to say that the information remains as useful as ever.

As a new MR2 driver I was worried when I first encountered this problem.  Then the other day I had a paticularly bad example of the problem whilst reversing onto the drive - this was followed by the total failure of the power steering  s:( :( s:(  

With the problems seeming to be related I was unhappy to discover that the clonking was still evident after the warranty repair of the power steering.   The car was about to be returned to the dealer accompanied by a few choice words!

However, the tyre explanations described here fit my symptoms exactly and this is reassuring.

What is less inspring is the fact that the dealer (a main Toyota dealer) had no knowledge of this problem and was unable to explain the clonking  s:x :x s:x

Tags: