Misfire - Engine Light on

Started by dlivingstone_19, May 5, 2008, 11:46

dlivingstone_19

I need some help.

My car has loss of power about 1500 - 2000rpm. I have cleaned the MAF Sensor and this hasn't resolved the problem.

It feels like it is mis firing and possible coil at fault.

Any suggestions? How much are coils are how can you find out if this is the problem with taking to toyota dealer.

Mine is a v reg 2000 toyota mrs.

Thanks
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

Anonymous

Do you have a cel showing? Where are you located? You need a code reader to read the cel and diagnose the fault.

aaronjb

Quote from: "nelix"You need a code reader to read the cel and diagnose the fault.

Not an easy option on an MR-S, though.. we only know of one place in the entire country that can read the codes, if memory serves..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "nelix"You need a code reader to read the cel and diagnose the fault.

Not an easy option on an MR-S, though.. we only know of one place in the entire country that can read the codes, if memory serves..

Missed that, still half asleep.

dlivingstone_19

Located in tunbridge wells kent.

Could it just be a coil pack that has gone. Dont wanna take it toyota. Any suggestions?

I dont have the CEL light on
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

SteveJ

Quote from: "dlivingstone_19"I dont have the CEL light on

So what is this mythical 'emissions' light that you have on (according to your thread title) then?

dlivingstone_19

It is infact a engine management light that is on.

I have taken out the coil packs individually and have found 2 of them had about half and inch of water in the bottom by the spark plugs.

It looks like someone has steam cleaned engine bay. I have cleaned and dried them. I started the car again and the warning light went off but still seems to be misfiring.

When I am stationary and rev the car, it feels very rough until 2000rpm and then went rev it above 2000rpm it feels normal. So only misfiring between 1-2000rpm.

Should I replace both coils that were wet and replace all four spark plugs??

As its an import my local dealer wont look at it.

Any input would be great.

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

Quote from: "dlivingstone_19"It is infact a engine management light that is on.
That's the CEL (Check Engine Light)  s;) ;) s;)

Let the coils dry out properly (leave them out indoors over night if possible, and put some rag or similar in their place to soak up any remaining moisture) and try again tomorrow.

dlivingstone_19

Well when I removed coils they didn't have any water on them and the water wasn't actually touching them. It was mainly around the spark plugs.

Im bit puzzled on what to do. Would there anything wrong which could cause it to misfire, eg 02 sensor.

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

Water anywhere near the plugs will happily cause that all day long, that's why I'd leave everything out to dry for as long as possible.

dlivingstone_19

Ok ill try that. If the water has ruined the spark plugs and coil. How much do Coils cost?

Is there anything else that could cause this or am I on the right path with coils etc?

Thank you

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

Given the amount of water you describe, I definitely think you're on the right line. Haven't got a clue on the cost of a coilpack offhand I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone else will pop up and enlighten us both.

dlivingstone_19

Ok thank you for your help.

Anyone know the cost of a coil pack?

Any more ideas of my fault as decribed above?

Toyota MRS Spec:

enid_b

Quote from: "Ekona"Water anywhere near the plugs will happily cause that all day long, that's why I'd leave everything out to dry for as long as possible.

+1 water and elastictrickery mix about as well as me and the ex wife !!!

id concentrate on mopping up the spark plug area whilst the coil packs are inside drying. use a heat gun or a hair dryer to assist.

once it looks dry, get some wd40 or other repellant (water not insect) and give it a little (not too much) spray in the chambers

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

dlivingstone_19

I've done all that today. I let it all dry for about 1 hour and dried inside chambers and sprayed wd4o in chambers.

Drove it for 10 miles and bit better but misfire still present.

Do you think it will need two new coils and new set of spark plugs?

Maybe the water contamination has defected coils and plugs

Toyota MRS Spec:

dlivingstone_19

any reply to my last message? cheers

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

Hi there

Start with replacement plugs, as renewing coil packs is a very expensive item - I think if I remember right they are about £120 each and there are 4 of them.

Also it might be worth putting some injector cleaner in the fuel tank - as a blocked injector can also give you a similar feeling.

Also don't panic, there are enough people around here help to sort the problem out.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

dlivingstone_19

Ok will do. If two of the plugs have had water around them, will drying them out ever recover fully?

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

Difficult to say, but for how much they cost it's not really worth thinking about.

dlivingstone_19

I have already put in some injector cleaner. Will fit spark plugs and go from there. Should I reset ecu once fitted?

Warning is not on at the moment though.

Also what tell tell signs would I notice if an injector was at fault?

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

It's very similar to what you have described already, when did you put the injector cleaner in??

dlivingstone_19

I put it in last night to see if that helped. I then noticed this morning that the misfire got really bad and the warning light came on.

I then stripped down coil pack and plugs and noticed 2 of them had about half a inch of water in bottom of chamber.

Toyota MRS Spec:

normanh

I had exactly the same in my 2 and the local Mr t put it down to the coil pack and never wipped the water water out dahhhh. For some reason the 2 is prone to doing this I have no idea why  but water does get thro the lid to the engine and can work its way into the plug bores in the head. I now use the old fashioned ignition sealer and never a repeat problem to date in 2 years. i am sure its moisture, can u see any black tracking lines down the ceramices of the plugs, might be worth changing the plugs I managed to get a set locally for about £7 recently. The one plug affected on my 2 had a trcking line cut deep into the plug glaze. I can confirm that the packs are about £120 each well one was 2 years ago.

normanh

dlivingstone_19

Its strange because when I checked my spark plugs, the two that had been in water had white tips and visually look fine.

Toyota MRS Spec:

normanh

Its not the tips only that you need to check its the white ceramic body that insulates the body from the central electrode that gives the ignition spark, in theory the ceramics can break down with surface contamination such as a trcking path an cause a short hence a misfire. really its worth changing them if in doubt for about £7 from a motor factors.
I can only speak from experience.
normanh

Tags: