Which oil filter wrench?

Started by Leeber, May 8, 2008, 11:53

Leeber

Hi folks,

I'm just about to do a 5k oil & filter change on my '2, I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which tool is easiest to use for removal of the old filter? There's a screwfix not 100 yards from where I live so unless anyone's got any horror stories with regards to their offerings, I was planning to make that my first port of call. Specifically, I was looking at these two products:

Pliers
Wrench

Anyone got any experiences with either of these?

TIA, Lee
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

SimonC_Here

Am I allowed to say I used my fingers!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
It's not exactly hard to get to.
Oh and some filters have standard hex bolts on the end of them.

Simon

spit

Difficult to get access and leverage with pliers because of the inset location of the filter. Wrench is better for our car.

Better still is what I've just ordered (previously I've been succesfully using a tried and tested method of jubilee clip and mallet!). I tried SteveV's out when he was over here and its a treat on the '2 .... a mod of the three-leg wrench - with two spring-loaded jaws.

Ordered from US. Steve was planning a GB on these but I've heard nothing from him.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Leeber

Simon - Of course you are, I never thought of trying that  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  . My current filter's just a stock one (car's still under warranty) so I don't think it's got a bolt on it.

Ste, where did you order that from (got a link)?

Cheers for the replies.

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which tool is easiest to use for removal of the old filter?

The OEM Toyota SST, which was less than 10e?  s8) 8) s8)

Looks like this:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

What Tem said - that's a good deal.

The universal is Clicky. UK shipping is $15.

Leeber

That was a lot easier than I thought it would be - brilliant!

Thanks again guys.

markiii

your second link Lee don;t work I have one and they don;t go small enough for teh roadsters filter

your first option as said willstruggle to fit

I'd go with Tem or Stes options

or cheat like me and only use K&N Gold filters which have a welded on nut  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Leeber

Quote from: "Tem"The OEM Toyota SST, which was less than 10e?

Just rang my local Mr T, the Crawley branch refused point blank to supply it, Horsham wanted £30+vat   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .

Perhaps I'll try and source one from the continent.

spit

as opposed to the incontinent?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

email Chris Billimore at cheaptoyotaparts ( e mailto:Chris@cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk">Chris@cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk e ). He's a very helpful guy. I believe he sources from (usually) Belgium to bring us Euro deals.

If the part is available to him, he can give you a price direct to the door.

Anonymous

Whack a screwdriver through the middle of the filter and turn it out that way. Proper men only need apply, as you will get covered in oil.  s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"Proper men only need apply, as you will get covered in oil.  s8) 8) s8)

I seem to remember having to take a certain members off in exactly that way recently.. and yes, got covered in oil (but when don't I?)  s;) ;) s;)

Generally if I've put it on, then I can get it off again with my hands (hard, but possible)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

That's how mine came off when we did the turbo install. Talk about getting chucked in at the deep end!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"
Quote from: "Tem"The OEM Toyota SST, which was less than 10e?

Just rang my local Mr T, the Crawley branch refused point blank to supply it, Horsham wanted £30+vat   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .

Oh my, that sucks.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I just took the part number from BGB and my dealer had no issues selling me one.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Whack a screwdriver through the middle of the filter and turn it out that way. Proper men only need apply, as you will get covered in oil.  s8) 8) s8)

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Thats what I love about modern technology! Some things don't change. What was it?  If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like a nail! I've actually used an old belt as a sort of strap wrench on many occasions.

Tem

It's kinda hard to tighten the new filter as instructed with a screwdriver though.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

YMMV and all that stuff, but the SST really made my oil changes a lot easier. I can do it on a level ground now. Just reach for the filter from the side of the car, in front of the rear wheel and it opens easily. Just need a low enough container, which fits under the oil pan and holds enough oil.

I do have a garage where I could lift the car, but I don't bother with that anymore.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Here in the states we have a special tool called the "5 finger on the hand tool."  In other words it should be only hand tightened.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "kaustein@hotmail.com"Here in the states we have a special tool called the "5 finger on the hand tool."  In other words it should be only hand tightened.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

your right though, you dont need tooling to tighten it, it should be fitted as tight as you can by hand and nothing more.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Steven Velocity

Quote from: "spit"Difficult to get access and leverage with pliers because of the inset location of the filter. Wrench is better for our car.

Better still is what I've just ordered (previously I've been succesfully using a tried and tested method of jubilee clip and mallet!). I tried SteveV's out when he was over here and its a treat on the '2 .... a mod of the three-leg wrench - with two spring-loaded jaws.

Ordered from US. Steve was planning a GB on these but I've heard nothing from him.

Speaking of group buy,
 http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21184&highlight=
My completely biased opinion says that this is the oil filter wrench you need!
DRUM & BASS IS THE ANSWER, wobble wobble...HARD TECHNO ALL NIGHT LONG! BLOWN 2ZZ (R.I.P.) (FI project]/PFC/J&S Interceptor/complete custom 2.5" exhaust/6pd w/LSD/8lb aluminum Fidanza flywheel/ACT eXtreme clutch/TRD quickshifter/Speedsource brass shift cable bushings/BC Racing RAM coilovers/Woods slotted rotors/Hawk Pads/Saner 25.4mm front sway bar/Corky\'s BP/Kirks mounts/custom roll cage/JDM hardtop/Dev\'s KHCs/clear corner markers/150lbs added lightness/Toyo R888 for now BWAHAHAHA!!!

Tags: