Project Custard - Gearbox issues

Started by custardavenger, May 12, 2008, 18:16

custardavenger

Ok so I'm starting to to a load of mods and thought it would be best to keep it all in one place.

So a bit of background. I had a dyno run at Janspeed with just a Che manifold and a K&N filter. I got 124BHP and 113.5 Torque. A week later it turned the big 100K miles and I fitted a janspeed system. It also has TTE springs and roll bars and team dynamics wheels.

So I have 3 weekends to spend time on mods while my Mum is away.

Weekend 1
Cut bumper where it had melted from the janspeed. Removed the dash to install gauges (more about that later) and removed gearbox to install RPS flywheel and MWR/RPS clutch. First problem was that I think MWR sent me the wrong flywheel bolts as they are 5mm too long and stop the motor turning. Then (Shame) I stripped a thread for the front engine mount. Then with gearbox fitted back on it came to bleading the clutch. Lots of swearing and about 1 litre of fluid later and it still won't opperate properly.
I have installed the extended push rod and a speedsource clutch line and ACT release bearing. I have used Halfords Brake/Clutch fluid (Not sure on which Dot will check). I have tried to adjust the free play to the corect setting. At best I have got it to engage 2 but grinds in reverse which is the gear Toyota recomend to set up with.

Can anyone tell me how far the slave cylinder moves on full stroke of pedal or suggest a solution?

Really don't want to spend next weekend taking it out again
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Hello anyone out there?

Am I the first to have this problem?

Well as it seams no one can help me and I won't get near the internet for the weekend, weekend 2 will probably be spent removing the clutch again to check to see if there is anything obvious.
I will also (if all goes well with the clutch) be removing the brake calipers for painting as well as a few of the rusty brackets I can remove. Test fitting the guage mount and refitting the dash. Getting new tyres and getting tyres taken off my standard rims ready for powercoat and some track tyres. And if I get all that done and still have time then its stage 1 of fitting the supercharger.
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Patience Rob  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ! I'm measuring the throw of the piston for you tonight - got a friend stopping over who can stomp on the pedal while I'm under the busy end.

I tried doing it single-handed last night but wasn't quite quick enough  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

custardavenger

Cheers mate. I know your there to help me. Just really suprised not one else was.

Will check back here later tonight then.
Project Custard Clicky

DannyN

Quote from: "spit"Patience Rob  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ! I'm measuring the throw of the piston for you tonight - got a friend stopping over who can stomp on the pedal while I'm under the busy end.

I tried doing it single-handed last night but wasn't quite quick enough  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You should've shouted matey, I'm only 10mins away and can usually always pop over

D
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

spit

Didn't wish to disturb ... I had you down as a pre-stressed Groom awaiting the big day Danny  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anyhoo, we're trifling in the Custard thread .... back o/t.....

spit

Rob -

pedal movement (measured with ruler horizontally from top of footpad on the pedal): 130mm

pedal travel to the start of piston movement: 10mm and you could feel the resistance!

Piston measurements were taken from the lip of the cylinder (once the boot was removed)

Cylinder edge to piston end at rest: 22.5mm
Cylinder edge to piston end on full floored clutch: 34.0mm
Piston travel therefore: 11.5mm

Good luck   s:P :P s:P    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Slave cylinder is a pig to bleed (pretty sure that's posted about somewhere - I forget if it was Mark, Stu's or Phil's car we were doing it on), ended up having to use an E-Z-bleed (pressure bleeder) to get the air out.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

was mine after we did teh trd clutch line
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

Cheers Ste will have a measure as soon as I get back.

Cheers too Aaron. Had thought of this. Got a mate who owns the garage where I'll be getting my tyres so will ask if he's got a pressure bleeder. I have a bad feeling looking at Ste's measurements thats it's gearbox off time as I recon i was getting something close to that movement.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Ok so I'm back in Nottingham after weekend 2 and it's been a mix of good and bad.

I have realised that due to things taking alot longer than hoped I'm not gonna get everything done and have dropped doing the brakes and another couple of things that I'm keeping secret for now.

So first job trying to sort the clutch problem. I checked the movement with Ste's measurements and was getting the same travel on the slave cylinder. So I dropped the gearbox again and found nothing wrong. Refitted, blead clutch with different fluid and vacuum bleader. Was good enough to get into gear but clutch point is about 1/2" from the floor and the gearbox has become very clunky. I'm gonna contact MWR to see what they advise but at least it's drivable. Took it up the road to test it. was a mile and a half away when my mate text me to say he could still hear me (thats how load a janspeed is for you folcks that haven't heard one).

So next it was fitting the supercharger. The kit is the guinnee pig one built by TTS and fitted to Prolex-uk's car. I picked it up on my birthday after a failed atempt at picking it up before.

Fitting meant taking apart even more of my car. And drilling holes in it too. Aarg!

To make this more interesting I'm currently loading the pics taken.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Ok Some pics then

Flywheel

Clutch

Issue with flywheel bolts (MWR ARP one on the right)

And as a little tease on an in progress mod I've done this

Just so I could do this

Will be mat black once finished
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

So supercharger. You can all search if you want to see pics of the full kit, They are on here somewhere.

Ok SC fitted. There are a few issues I need to sort out with it. I am not happy with the way it bolts on so have some parts on order from Mr T, The pipe that is lagged need a support making as it is not possible to tighten the supercharger end enogh to get rid of the wiggle room and finally you may have noticedthe duct tape, There is a hole on the pipe which will get replaced when I can source some. Other than that lot its all good here.

The intake mounts on original fixings (with longer bolts) Had to remove the lower heat sheild. I may look at making some custom sheilds for various places later on.

The SC oil cooler. This was a pain. Had to file and enlarge the holes to get it to fit. Very snug. To fit it I had to remove the inner wheel arch. Also found the plastic inner air scoop didn't look right. In the wheel arch I found this.

Staightened it

And everything fitted alot better. Must have had a bump to the rear wing at some point. Also took this opertunity to run various cable into the drivers side storage bin through a new hole and a gromit (gave up trying to get it through the original gromit)

Next fitted the tank and filter.

Note Innovate LC1

Then came the injectors. I know some may say that the connectors should be soldered into the loom but I couldn't bring myself to cut into a OE loom so I made some connectors

And fitted the injectors.

It seams I haven't taken a pic of the intercooler fitted (probably because the wiring is temporay and I'm too ashamed to show that.

So only one thing more to do. Fire it up. After a couple of turns it roared into life. Then we pushed it outside as it is running so rich we were dying from the fumes. I should have taken a video and will do soon but the sound is very interesting. Mainly because the fans are on constant and sound like a hovercraft. Let the PFC settle then gave that throttle a blip and we have boost.
Then stopped car to callibrate the Innovate. It was then when the injectors started to leak. And thats the situation it's currently left with. I have all the seals on order from MrT as I have refitted the injectors 4 times now and each time they leak but I can see nothing wriong with them. Frustraiting.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

OK car is booked into TTS on Tuesday for a dyno.

Does anyone have a guide to installing injectors. I'm worried that just replacing the seals may not be enough. I have tried drianing the rail of fuel, drying it then pushing the injectors into the rail and then fitting this to the engine.

Anything else I should try?
Project Custard Clicky

aaronjb

All you should need to do is unbolt the rail, remove the old injectors, push the new ones in (with new O-rings - use Mr T ones, the ones I had from the injector rebuild place leaked) making sure you don't snag an O-ring and then sit the injectors down into the lower isolators and bolt the rail down.

No need to empty it, or dry it, or anything else.. Just make sure it's all properly bolted down or it'll leak like a sieve..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

custardavenger

Ok then. Well I guess I'll have to hope that new o-rings work then as I tried a few times with the same result.

Cheers
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Ok after a lot of lunchtimes spent machining, my custom guage and commander mount are almost finished.

Have yet to try them in the dash yet but it will hopefully turn this

Into this

On the left is the PFC commander screen (If it works) Tomorrow I will start painting them matt black so the blend in a little better

Hopefully if all goes well I will get these fitted at the weekend. If not I have a hard decision on whether to put the dash back on or not.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

BTW update on the clutch. I hacve spoken to MWR and they said they didn't know there was a problem with the blot length. As for the clutch the told be to adjust the pedal.
Now I have already had a go at adjusting the pedal and believe it is currently on its maximum but will have a go again before I contact them again.
Project Custard Clicky

Wabbitkilla

Nice work there!  s8) 8) s8)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

kanujunkie

nice machineing is more to the point
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

custardavenger

Cheers Nick.

You know once I've got the guages done the next project I have is something the I think will interest you alot.
Project Custard Clicky

Wabbitkilla

I'm all aquiver with anticipation - looking forward to it mate.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

custardavenger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"nice machineing is more to the point

Yeah I am quite proud of it. Like one of the guys at work said its a shame to paint it, but they're just too shinny.
Project Custard Clicky

aaronjb

That does look nice  s:) :) s:)

Now can you make me one of these:

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4UmtD15UE m

s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "custardavenger"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"nice machineing is more to the point

Yeah I am quite proud of it. Like one of the guys at work said its a shame to paint it, but they're just too shinny.

why not just spray it with a matt laquer then?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: