Project Custard - Gearbox issues

Started by custardavenger, May 12, 2008, 18:16

loadswine

I just ordered a rivnut tool as well, they seem to be just the job for the odd mod!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

custardavenger

Yeah they're genius. Going to mainly use mine for putting threads in aluminium that can be undone often. But great for those thin steel locations.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

So I've booked my flight for America and it's time to think about what I can bring back.

Seeing as I have decided I'm going all the way with this car I will hopefully go a step further with the handling (fit BC Racing shocks, tie bars and change the rear beam etc) over the winter while I'm not using the car so much.

I'm also looking at building my old 1ZZ engine, Specs will be something like

Weisco 9.0:1 +0.5 pistons
MWR rods
Full ARP stud sets
Crower Stage 2 FI cams
MWR valves
Valve Springs (maybe retainers too, All depends on what I can afford)
Head work (think I have a source for this)
Custom Sump
TRD thermo and pos water pump change.
Painted a lovely colour

Not sure if I've missed anything, (shout out if you recomend anything?). So it will be a slow build. Thinking of starting off with all the head parts, Get that all finished, Sort out all the custom parts and then get on to the block.

One thing I'm not sure on is Main and rod bearings. Toyota ones are graded to best fit. Where as it seams all aftermarket ones are one size fits all? Is that because in race aplications engines run larger tollerances anyway? or would they need to hone fitted?

Also recomendations on Head gaskets would be good. Been recomended copper, but also warned by the same person that they must be properly heat treated and that alot of manufacturers don't do that.

So what do you all think?
Project Custard Clicky

loadswine

For the head gaskets, you could do a lot worse than contact Ferriday. They make a pretty good gasket and do some bimetal copper and steel ones, noy cheap, but very good. They require very flat surfaces though.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

custardavenger

Thats cool. Will be getting the head and block skimmed. Cheers Nige
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

don't do the thermpstat unless you find you need it in the real world

it will not be good for your heater, I wouldn't do it again knowing what I know now
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

Yeah I've seen someone else post about that. Own one anyway and it's not that hard to change back so may give it a go. I get reduced heating now anyway as the vent are blocked.
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Quote from: "custardavenger"Also recomendations on Head gaskets would be good. Been recomended copper, but also warned by the same person that they must be properly heat treated and that alot of manufacturers don't do that.

Cometic. No question.

philster_d

My build has a cometic head gasket now.

custardavenger

Cheers guys will investigate Cometic.

Well I've had an awful day for many reasons, The ones involving my two started with it not starting. Didn't start after work and again this morning. AAAARg. Very upset with it. Managed to get the Odessy in enough to run and it started on that. Bit of finish bodging at work and I'm left with:-

I've charged the other battery and it seams ok but I think I'll just run the Odessy till it's off the road at the weekend when I'll hopefully get the battery tray made.

So as well as that I've got a E 8 fault code on the Innovate.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  , Dam thing, So manual says it's either knackered or over temp. It does start up and run for a while then the code comes up. Find it hard to believe it's over temp. I know I've now wrapped the exhaust which will keep the temp in a bit I've not bee pushing itand the code comes on every time I drive it now, I can only presume the sensor is knackered.   s:( :( s:(  

On a good note Likwidart Rob have don a top job fitting my graphics. Pics to follow when the car isn't so shamefully dirty.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Ok I'm having a little pull on reality and the funds that I have.
I've had the water injection tank made. Not completely finished and also probably not the best placing I could have chosen, but it's done now and it cost me a fortune so I'll be sticking with it for at least a long while.

Decided to leave the engine build to next years project, and continue to finish the Supercharger system and work on handling. Looks like it may be a while before I get the charge cooler installed. I may get the manifold done first so that I know how much room I have to work with.

So it's the big wait to get more fabrication done. I'me sure it would probably pay me to buy a tig welder by the time I've had all this expensive alu work done.
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Spare sensor here you can try Rob. Its old and throws an occasional wobble but it works and it'll confirm where your fault is.
(or isn't!)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

custardavenger

Cheers Ste. I pick that up when I come and see you.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

So I've put my sensible head on (well more sensible anyway) and have decided to leave buying engine parts till next year unless I score some true bargins.

So I'm off to america in a couple of weeks and am trying to work out what to bring back.

So far
Exhaust flange
K&N oil filters (so cheep)
Not sure on whether to get some flexi couplings to repair my stock cat, They are expensive over here and about £24 plus getting them welded.

Then thinking of suspension links. I will be fitting BC racing struts this winter and want to get all the suspension sorted. Thinking rear adjustables. So Che or Megan? (is there others?) Is there really any benifit from the trailing arms?

So other than a large amount of Bourbon anyone suggest anything else suspension wise or inline with my modding route work buying in the USA?
Project Custard Clicky

spit

If it turns out that you need one, you could always pop in a VW dealership and pick up a bosch sensor for the Innovate. Piddle cheap over there.

Don't forget you have limits on what you can bring back before getting stung for duties.

custardavenger

Quote from: "spit"If it turns out that you need one, you could always pop in a VW dealership and pick up a bosch sensor for the Innovate. Piddle cheap over there.

Don't forget you have limits on what you can bring back before getting stung for duties.

Do you know what the VW part number is or what vehicle and year I'd need to quote?

Don't worry I won't go over limit
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Beetle Turbo. Can't recall which sensor it is but P/N is 021-906-262-B
(with thanks to Bill on S'chat)

aaronjb

For the part number:  m http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/foru ... -1578.html m

It's a Bosch LSU4.2 sensor, Bosch part 17014 - also available at a lot of autoparts stores in the US.

More part numbers here, too:  m http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produc ... cts_id/345 m

[edit] Beaten to it by Ste..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

Can you also get some Avia .188 Carbon tubing? Its about $5 over there and $100 over here

muffdan

I wouldn't mind some drop links Rob  s;) ;) s;)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

custardavenger

Quote from: "uktotty"Can you also get some Avia .188 Carbon tubing? Its about $5 over there and $100 over here

What length? If it will fit in my bag then yes.
Project Custard Clicky

philster_d

I need a GT30   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

DannyN

Re:
Quote from: "aaronjb"That does look nice  s:) :) s:)

Now can you make me one of these:

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4UmtD15UE m

s:) :) s:)

Now that is pretty impressive, looks like Johnny 5 !
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

custardavenger

Can't you all settle for twinkies or something.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Project Custard Clicky

Ilogik

Quote from: "sjspitz"
Quote from: "custardavenger"Also recomendations on Head gaskets would be good. Been recomended copper, but also warned by the same person that they must be properly heat treated and that alot of manufacturers don't do that.

Cometic. No question.

Agreed, had this on my mk2 forged build.

If MWR don't do them check out MTbuggies.com thats where I got mine.

Can you bring me back some american skank uni girls like in the movies?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: