tyres for my 03 - update!

Started by Anonymous, January 11, 2004, 14:50

Anonymous

just thought I'd let you know what I ended up getting for my 03 to replace the Yokos...

after much deliberation etc etc I got the Toyos (195/50/15 and 225/40/16) - was a bit wary of changing the sizes (as per your previous advice lads) but the Yokos were just too scary and I figured that the Toyos would be some improvement.... they are the absolute 'nads!!   s:D :D s:D   As well as a much more quiet drive (an unexpected bonus), tramlining is now pretty much non-existent and the improvement in handling is excellent. Suddenly I feel safe again!

I even let the BF drive it before and after (he's honoured, no-one drives it but me) and he's impressed to the extent that he "volunteered" to drive it back from Essex yesterday - very kind of him!

Am so glad I switched to the Toyos - thanks for your help fellas   s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

remember you need to scrub them in first, so dont push them too hard. I actually found that the yokos are ok - they just needed a good scrubbing that they had when i did the driver training day at North Weald. Since then ive not had any scary moments like i did before then.

My toyos will be ariving next week hopefully - glad you like them (makes me feel a little happier!). How much did you pay for them?

Anonymous

I found the Yokos OK until the weather changed, then I had just 1 too many scary bits. Partly it's probably cos I'm still getting used to the car (it's like learning to drive all over again!) but I figured that peace of mind etc had to come first hence the change.

BUT - I have kept hold of the Yokos (they've only done 5k) so I can get them back on again in the summer!

As far as price goes - initial price was £284 but they "shaved" it for me to £256 (V & B etc free) and are couriering the Yokos down to me for free. I know you're gona say that you got yours cheaper   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   (have just double checked the price on mytyres.co and they're far cheaper   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ) but by the time you take into account fitting / V & B, courier costs, the fact that I was "in the area" anyway, the convenience factor, that I'm an extravagant wench, I spose it's swings and roundabouts. sort of. and gettin them done so far from home meant a good run back on them   s:D :D s:D  

am now preparing myself for a deluge of incredibly lower quotes......

Anonymous

no thats fair enough i guess... still, i would reccommend you get yourself down to North Weald for a training day... you will scrub your tyres in and learn a lot about the car...   s:D :D s:D

mph

Price becomes irrelevant after the deal. If spending X amount has made you happy, who cares what other people spend? Regardless, you can feel warm and fuzzy comparing that to the price those with larger wheels have to pay...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "mph"Regardless, you can feel warm and fuzzy comparing that to the price those with larger wheels have to pay...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Yeah yeah, point taken  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

BUT, Toyo's from MrTyre work out to £276 for my 17's, which isn't too bad compared to what swp paid for 15's.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

ok, a couple of points here then:

1) I love my new tyres   s:D :D s:D   and am glad I got them. so there.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

2) reckon that a trip to North Weald could be a necessity - really need to learn how to drive the bugger properly. where can i find more info on this please??

thank you kindly,

mph

Quote from: "swp"2) reckon that a trip to North Weald could be a necessity - really need to learn how to drive the bugger properly. where can i find more info on this please??
- General search here for "North Weald"
- Have a look in the Events forum for previous events & comments
-  w www.carlimits.com w  aka  w www.1stlotus.com w
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

aaronjb

Quote from: "swp"1) I love my new tyres   s:D :D s:D   and am glad I got them. so there.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Glad to hear you like the Toyo's, and that there don't appear to be any handling issues with the different sizes  s:) :) s:)  (Phew.. rather glad of that, given I was one of the people who said go for it!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Think I could probably do with a day at North Weald myself at some point - really must get rid of these damned awful Bridgestone's though first.. Or maybe a day at North Weald would finish them off  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mph

Quote from: "aaronjb"Think I could probably do with a day at North Weald myself at some point - really must get rid of these damned awful Bridgestone's though first.. Or maybe a day at North Weald would finish them off  s;) ;) s;)
Sounds like another day needs to be organised!   s:) :) s:)  

As long as you're not a complete hooligan (Andy's words not mine, *cough*) then tyre wear isn't too bad. However given the very large expanse of safe tarmac, showing restraint can be tricky..   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Slacey

Quote from: "mph"As long as you're not a complete hooligan (Andy's words not mine, *cough*) then tyre wear isn't too bad. However given the very large expanse of safe tarmac, showing restraint can be tricky..   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
It is VERY difficult not to take advantage of the open space... oh, and my tyres were ruined, but then I did definately fall in to the hooligan category!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ... the other guys' tyres were fine.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I'll probably be signing myself up to the next one of these too.

Anonymous

Would be interested in this this time round..........

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Price becomes irrelevant after the deal. If spending X amount has made you happy, who cares what other people spend?

Says the man that spent an obscene amount on his turbo...   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Once the weather pics up, I think there will be quite a few group days to Northweald at least.

Myself and Kerstie are both keen to go on one, especially as Kerstie lost the car in the carpark at the weekend!  Skipped all over the shop by kept it in a straight line which was a blessing!.

We have bridgestones which have been absolutely fine in the wet and dry.  Carpark we hit a crap load of wet mud!.

Anonymous

swp, do you happen to know what pressures your running front and back?

Anonymous

oh god, this is soooooooo embarrassing - NOPE!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   but then I spose as I have so much faith in the guys at Elite I didn't feel the need to ask (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) - would imagine that they would go by whatever their chart says?

sorry!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

(could play into your hands and make a typical "girlie" comment about how they look ok, feel ok when I kick 'em, and aren't flat at the bottom - but i won't)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

i know i've still got to scrub them in (believe that's the technical term?) but I've been to work on them today - baaaaad weather on the way in and no probs whatsoever, drier on the way home and again - great ride! god I love these tyres!

Liz

Soon everyone with have the Toyo's they are the nads!  s:) :) s:)
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

juansolo

Quote from: "swp"i know i've still got to scrub them in (believe that's the technical term?)

the technical term is donut...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

mph

Quote from: "swp"i know i've still got to scrub them in (believe that's the technical term?)
Here you go...

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

oooooookkkkkkk....

looks like I'm either being called baaad names here   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

or you're trying to tell me that I'm not quite fanatical enough about the cleanliness of my baby?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "swp"oooooookkkkkkk....

looks like I'm either being called baaad names here   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

or you're trying to tell me that I'm not quite fanatical enough about the cleanliness of my baby?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Dont worry - thats just martin!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

yeah, I know   s:) :) s:)  . Don't worry - I'll get my own back....!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mph

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Yeah, yeah - you'll first have to stop being a bore working late and come out to play first   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Look what arrived today... YUMMY!

Will hopefully get them fitted this saturday (although my yokos are just fab at the moment... having loads of fun in the '2 as they just grip and grip... hope im not let down by the toyos!)

Tags: