Induction temperatures

Started by Anonymous, May 18, 2008, 15:55

Anonymous

I still have a soft top and I'll test with it down, too.   The engine sucks air in with quite a bit of force and the opening will be largish, plus the air moving foward isn't doing so very fast, so I don't think air flowing the wrong way past the opening with the top down will hurt performance.  I wouldn't want to place the opening towards the rear because of heat coming out the rear slots from the header and exhaust etc., plus it would just look wrong.  The main thing will be having IAT just a few degrees F over the outside air temp. at all times.  On my drive home today, IAT was 102F when I turned on the ignition.  Heat was still left over from going out to lunch at noon, I guess.  Outside temp was 86F.  Once I got on the main road and up to 55, IAT was down to 92F.  Still without the scoop or even finishing the box.  I was seeing temps around 120F on a day like this before (with an Injen-like intake).  

Tomorrow I'm going to take off the hard top and see what it sounds like with the top down (and watch the IAT).   I think it is going to sound really, really good.   s:) :) s:)

Roof scoop will be an optional piece.  If it looks really good, I'll keep one for myself.

kanujunkie

could always put in a blow in door at the rear to prevent any issues with pressure zone differences
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I finished the box last night.   Instead of doing anything with the inside of the lid, I just extended the box upwards so it comes right up under the slots with hardly any space between box and lid.  I havn't had time to make a scoop yet.  IAT was very low today, better than before.  The box itself heats up when you stop, though.  There's no insulation on the outside of it yet.  

I'm going to move the rear end of the box back 2 more slots just to make sure the slots don't cause a restriction problem.  I can't really tell if they do now or not.   I may also add two 3" hoses coming into the ends of the box from each side vent.  That ought to do it for sure.  I had two 3" inlets on my old airbox, which was way over where the battery once was, and it was better that way.   That was the only way into the box, though.

I've also realized that a big panel air filter could be used, like in the ARC induction box.  I'll be shopping around for really large panel air filters.  

EDIT:  No, bad idea on the panel filter, I want any water in the box to drain out the bottom.  There is now 1 row of vent holes up front for draining water (there will be a "dam" there to prevent water rolling back into the intake box), 8 rows for induction, and the rearmost 5 will be for venting hot air.  I've got a prototype scoop ready to test tomorrow with top up / down.

Anonymous

Changes: Rear end of box moved back 1 row instead of 2, added prototype scoop, didn't have time to remove the hardtop this AM.

Starting temp after cooling overnight: 84F (so that must be the outside air temp)
Driving 15-35MPH for 3 min: 84F
Stopped for a few seconds, driving 45MPH for a few min: 84F
Stopped at a store, left engine running for a few min, came out: 98F
Started out, driving slowly for a few minutes (traffic lights): 90s
Turned onto highway, within 10-15 seconds it was 87F and eventually back to 84F
Drove all the way to work at speeds ranging from 15 to 75 (mostly 75) with a brief stop: stayed right at 84F
Parked and left the engine running.  After two minutes, it jumped from 84 to 86.  It would have continued to climb, but I just shut the engine off.

So basically, IAT = ambient outside air temp unless you stop for a couple of minutes, then it climbs (not as rapidly as when the scoop wasn't installed) or are in slow stop-and-go traffic, then it is higher but not a lot higher as long as you keep moving.   Getting up to highway speed again, temp drops (more rapidly than without the scoop and all the way back down to ambient temp).  Success.  Will have to test with the top down tomorrow.

tom_deas

bump - any more news on this? interested in doing something like this myself
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

Ilogik

Im getting reading of around 36-38 driving temp today on the apexi and around 46 stand still.

What are you guys making with standard box and panel filter .
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

In traffic today - about 36 - 38, driving up the motorway it goes down to 26 - 29, that's with a std box, K & N and a Markiii Pipe.

Rob.

Ilogik

shows it makes a huge difference then whilst driving, what sort of speed was the 26 -28 at?

DannyN

Theres already a thread discussing this that Nic started -wabittkilla
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

spit

Thanks Danny. Not sure if this was the thread you were on about but [Mod]Merged[/Mod]
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Ilogik

Quote from: "DannyN"Theres already a thread discussing this that Nic started -wabittkilla

thanks for linking it up, looks like over all temps are pretty similar, if had the choice i probably wouldn't change to an after market filter.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"shows it makes a huge difference then whilst driving, what sort of speed was the 26 -28 at?

about 70   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Ilogik

Quote from: "FGRob"
Quote from: "Ilogik"shows it makes a huge difference then whilst driving, what sort of speed was the 26 -28 at?

about 70   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

haha no wonder  s:P :P s:P

Tags: