15" rear wheels / 16" rear wheels

Started by aluk49, May 21, 2008, 13:09

aluk49

I plan to use my 2003 post facelift car on track a few times a year, and hope to get a spare set of wheels just for track use.  Question is, is there any significant advantage in having 16" rears as opposed to 15" all round. (15" are much easier to get hold of) Type of track tyres to be decided later, after reading up all the various threads.  

Thanks

Al

Jigwar

Quote from: "aluk49"I plan to use my 2003 post facelift car on track a few times a year, and hope to get a spare set of wheels just for track use.  Question is, is there any significant advantage in having 16" rears as opposed to 15" all round. (15" are much easier to get hold of) Type of track tyres to be decided later, after reading up all the various threads.  

Could be the other way round - 15" might be the more advantageous in terms of weight saving   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Only point to note I suppose is that if you come down to 15s, then the tyre sizes are affected too, which might introduce a change in the car's balance from what you are used to.
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Jaik

Also just so you know; the 16" rears are 7" wide, the the 15" rears are 6.5".

For track use I'd go with the 15s, cheaper to get the wheels and cheaper for tyres.

The lower-profile of the 16s make the rear feel a bit more planted and solid in my experience.

aluk49

Thanks for the input guys, I guess i'll just keep on the lookout for some cheap wheels and not worry too much on the 16".  Trackday will be fun on either type I am sure.

markiii

16" mean you can run teh Advan neovas which for me makes it an easy decision best tyres I've ever had
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: