14 inch wheels

Started by evileye_wrx, May 27, 2008, 18:36

evileye_wrx

Would there be any benefit in using 14 inch wheels to increase performance? I was thinking if 17's are supposed to slow you down then smaller than stock will make you go quicker. I was also thinking of getting some 14's from a yaris to try out the theory.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

The only benefit you'd gain is losing unsprung weight: You'd have a smaller contact patch with the road so would have reduced grip, but you'd get more feel from the tyres if you kept the ratio the same as stock. Would 14" wheels even clear the brakes properly?

Interesting idea, but you'd be better off with a lightweight set of 15/16/17s in practice I would think.

Jaik

Quote from: "Ekona"The only benefit you'd gain is losing unsprung weight: You'd have a narrower contact patch with the road so would have reduced grip, but you'd get more feel from the tyres if you kept the ratio the same as stock. Would 14" wheels even clear the brakes properly?

Interesting idea, but you'd be better off with a lightweight set of 15/16/17s in practice I would think.
EFA  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

So smaller then  s;) ;) s;)

aaronjb

Plenty of people in the US run 13" wheels for AutoX - anyone in the higher classes.  I forget the make, search on SC and there's a very recent (this week/last week) post on which 13" wheels clear the calipers and how far they have to stick out of the bodywork to do so..

Not something I'd do for the road, though, it looks a bit.. odd.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Jaik

Nope, at the same tyre pressure, the contact patch will be narrower but longer. The reduction in grip comes from the way the tyre material deforms on the road surface I think.

From this superb article.

northernalex

Surely the moment of inertia is far less on a 14 than on a 17..
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Now that is a fantastic link, nice one  s8) 8) s8)

Chris_h

I know when I had a RS clio, the keener track drivers went for 15's on the basis that tyres were much much cheaper and of course reduced mass etc.

Its nice to see a revolt againts the ever increasing size of wheels - but if its for road use and aesthetics matter, I cant help thinking 14 may look a little lost in the arches. From pure looks, your SP wheels look great Phil

Also, I dont think 14s go that wide (?) and availability of performance tyres is probably limited to the 185 width and 55/50 profile - think off all that power going through a Fiesta 1.25 tyre   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

aaronjb

Here's the thread I was looking at on SC:  m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52376 m

You can get 13x8.5 from Panasport, but if you run 13 or 14" wheels you're likely to end up running wheels that have to stick out like this:

Not sure if that is running 13"s (probably), but that's the kind of look you'll end up with.  Track only, really.

Or this, definitely running 13's:

[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

evileye_wrx

It was speed for track rather than the road I was thinking. I'm more rather happy with the look of the 17's for posing about in.
Phil

aaronjb

Here's a checklist of what you'll need:

1) VERY stiff springs or anti-roll bars
2) Extra poly bumpstops fitted to the shocks
3) 13" wheels with tiny offsets
4) Possibly slim spacers so the calipers clear
5) Might as well run slicks or semi slicks - tyre choice will be pretty much limited to pure race tyres.
6) Large wallet (Panasports/Traklites etc are expensive)  s;) ;) s;)

You need the extra bump stops because the tyres will stick out of the arches - too much body roll will cause the tyre to hit the arch and pop..

evileye_wrx

Bollocks to all that then. Might see if I can pick up a cheap set of 15's at some point for all the time I am planning on spending on track. Which isn't much, not enough to justify any major cash lay out

Phil
Phil

Anonymous

If it's just for track use Phil, you might be better putting the money towards some A048s/R888s which will see you so much better on track than dropping a wheel size or two, and it won't look half as daft  s;) ;) s;)

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Ekona"If it's just for track use Phil, you might be better putting the money towards some A048s/R888s which will see you so much better on track than dropping a wheel size or two, and it won't look half as daft  s;) ;) s;)

Or V70 A Kumhos for that matter.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: