Aerial extension - how does it work

Started by tom_deas, May 30, 2008, 18:04

tom_deas

Hey all

few questions... first of all, I've got a Sony CD/MD head unit, cant remember the number off it, but is that a standard (or upgrade?) stereo option on the MR2?

basically, im buying a DVD (with 7" touchscreen) head unit off ebay, and the sellers told me reason HE's selling it is because when installed on his car the aerial automatically extends whenever he turns it on. As in, even when the radio isn't in use, the aerial extends.

I'm just wondering how the aerial extension function works on the head units. I'd rather it didn't extend when I'm just listening to CD's and the like, because it'd irritate me. I don't use the radio much, but at the same time it's something nice to have to listen to a bit of Radio 1 on a long journey.

I have a fair bit of experience with other ICE installs inc rewiring cars, but no experience with the MR2 yet. Just wondering how the aerial extension functions. Is it perhaps only when a current is passed down the "Aerial Lead" that it extends? In which case, if for example the problem is that when this head unit is turned on it automatically puts a current down the Aerial Lead even when the radio isn't in use, in which case I could either install an electronic switch breaker such that whenever I want to listen to the Radio, I'll have to flick the switch to close it, or alternatively it may just be a problem with this fellas car which won't be an issue with mine. OR I could just unplug the aerial lead altogether and live without the radio.

OR on the flipside is the aerial operation something to do with an additional "remote" lead?

Thanks in advance

Tom
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

markiii

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... dio+switch m

ADMIN thread locked for duplication please continue in the linked thread
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: