Will it fit?

Started by uktotty, June 1, 2008, 14:18

uktotty

Will this fit into the cubby hole thing at the top of the dash?
Can we wire it into anywhere?

kanujunkie

sizes/dimensions usually help Russ
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

uktotty

Dimensions: Standard Single DIN 17.8 (W) x 18 (L) x 5 (H) cm

uktotty

This is just a screen not a player of any kind

tom_deas

lmao have my recent purchase inspired you to take the plunge as well then?!  s:) :) s:)  on the bright side if we both come across problems can just dash across the road and two minds better than one eh!
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

uktotty

Been thinking about it for ages but couldnt find a pop out screen anywhere!
Found this one and just hope it will fit in the cubby hole.
Standard single din but is it a proper option?

tom_deas

very nice  s:) :) s:)  how do you mean is it a proper option? as in is it feasible to work, or as in is it a good choice against a double DIN unit?
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

aaronjb

Got any links to that, Russ?  Don't want to buy one out from under you, but I'm pondering trying to find a screen that will work with a VGA input (sadly the player that Tom found doesn't - I haven't found a multipurpose unit that does, which is a real shame)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

Will PM you mate, its a buy it now so no issues with ripping the carpet from under me.

Can anyone confirm if it will fit in the cubby hole and what mods are needed to get a single din in that space?

tom_deas

i can be of use for a change... refer you back to the links kindly provided by GSB in my thread -

LINK

uktotty

Tom that link doesnt give me any info mate.
Aaron you have a PM

tom_deas

the sub-link

Fitting 2 single DINS

or is that not what you're looking for? theres a link here somewhere....

tom_deas

no wait im just throwing you irrelevant links arent i, lol

my bad, ignore me  s:) :) s:)

uktotty

I want to install it in THE CUBBY HOLE ON THE DASHBOARD.

Just making sure that clear   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

markiii

with teh door shut no

you will need to make a custom surround
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

tom_deas

i have a habit of only reading half a sentance and paraphrasing the rest  s:) :) s:)

uktotty

Quote from: "markiii"with the door shut no

you will need to make a custom surround

Cheers Mark

Anyone done this?
Anyone got a guide?

GSB

I have some comments...

Its probabley feasible to fit the screen as described. first thing you should consider though is weather the end result will be worthwhile. i.e.

Will having a screen mounted that high going to impede forward vision? The answer is yes, so it will affect both your own safety and that of other people around you.

Will having a screen mounted so high make the car a more likely target for criminals? Yes it will. Anything on show is a target, weather it is useless or not once its forcibley levered out of your dasboard.

Can the screen be fitted somewhere else without the sheer expenditure of effort and time to do it? Yes it can, see my thread regarding the fitting of 2 DIN units for more details.

Of course, if you do go ahead with it, you need to realise you are on your own. Many people consider this reason enough to do it, which is a nonsense. Sound enginnering principle should be applied as well. Anyway, to my knowledge, and aparrently to everyone else's knowledge, it has never been done. So if any guides to such a thing are going to exist, then you are going to have to write them. We have no collective experience in this.

You should also consider the method and skills required to pull this off. You will need to modify the dashboard considerabley to do this, so unless you can recreate the colour and texture of the existing dash, it is going to look really gash. You will also need to measure up the size of aperture you need to fit this thing, and get yourself upside down in the footwells and have a measure up. Theres a bloody great steel beam under there somewhere, and you find its in your way.

Personally, I dont think its worth it.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

the closest I've seen is shown here

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... light=eric m

ironically it's Russ's thread  s:D :D s:D
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Cheers Grant

Very well thought out answer.
Double din is no good for me as I have a DVD player in the single din with a little screen on, so it will either oscue the screen or the HVAC controls.
Has it been done before? I think I saw one on ebay recently.

Will it obscure vision?? No more than having the lid open on the cubby I guess?
Will it be useful? Maybe as its connected to me camera for going backwards and will provide a bigger screen for watching movies when parked up.

Lots of food for though, cheers for your input!

GSB

That install is nasty. If thats what you're thinking about, I'd advise against it. And, I think its safe to say that it will impede your vision quite significantly. More so than than the lid would.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

tom_deas

Quote from: "GSB"That install is nasty. If thats what you're thinking about, I'd advise against it.

this lad doesnt beat around the bush  s;) ;) s;)

tom_deas

finished my install mate... well i say finished my install, ive put it in. need to get the brackets / surround from toyota dealership, going there tomorrow. want me to place anything on order for you? will have to pop by tomorrow eve quick to flash my dvd unit  s:) :) s:)  and if possible, request some pointers for getting a flusher fit! im a bit short on ideas... or well, i have ideas, but not sure if they'll work... the DVD player is f*cking top though mate, seriously. its the best £48 ive ever spent  s:D :D s:D :D:D

GSB

Quote from: "tom_deas"
Quote from: "GSB"That install is nasty. If thats what you're thinking about, I'd advise against it.

this lad doesnt beat around the bush  s;) ;) s;)

Much better to tell someone what they need to hear, rather than what they want to hear...  If this were a cruise site my response might have been along the lines of;

"Ye m8, dats sweet as innit. going to b bitchin wiv you noo toons. Whn is you gonn do da fittin bruv? gonna b at maccy ds 2nite? Der is sum hunis cummin down from da skool"

Thats asskissing by IQ challenged lowbrow morons in plastic coated Corsa's though, and not even slightly productive.

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "GSB"Thats asskissing by IQ challenged lowbrow morons in plastic coated Corsa's though, and not even slightly productive.

That's a sig-worthy quote, if ever there was one.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: