Air Con Re Gassing?

Started by Ama_1979, June 19, 2008, 14:40

Ama_1979

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice regarding the air con.  Iv'e heard about people getting their air con re-gassed, but I don't know how you know when this needs to be done? Is it something that should be done say yearly? 6 monthly?  Will I know if mines ever been re-gassed...

Questions questions folks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thanks in advance, Amy    s:D :D s:D

enid_b

ams,

if the air con does not freeze ur toes when driving with sandals, its time for a regas.

seriously, if its not blowing out air a lot cooler than the ambient outside temp, its ready for a top up or re gas.  i would not suggest it needs doing annually or six monthly. its done on an as and when basis.

the best way of preventing it is to run the ac for 15 minutes a month, even in the winter months.  this stops the seals and some other technical bits from drying out.

hope this helps

- oh, and it can be done at many places other than mr.t  you can even buy your own kit from a good car parts store,  i think stu, kanjunkie has experience of this, im not sure.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Ama_1979

Such a swift response Enid, thanks you..

So it is a case of as you say, as and when...I've thought that mine doesn't seem cold cold since I got the car but didn't think too much of it.  I wasn't even aware until recently that you could get them re-gassed...Thats good then, seen it for £30 near me, I'm more of a pay someone else to do it kinda girl hehe...though handy to know they sell kits...

Thanks Mr   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

enid_b

no problemo.  like i said above, it should be pumping out real cold air, so it sounds like your ready for a top up.

i'd never pay for it,  but thats just me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Liz

Where is that for £30 Amy - sounds reasonable and mine needs doing, shall we see if they will do a Group Buy discount for us!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Hi Amy

£30 does indeed sound like a good deal. I had mine done about 6months ago and it makes a huge difference.  

Was blowing at 13oc before hand and after was blowing at 3oc which is Icy!   s8) 8) s8)   One thing to watch out for it your pipes may have a leak. Most garage just simply regass and send you away which won't cure this problem. I used a specialst (about £40 I seem to remember) and he check whole system using a yellow dye and checked things like pressure etc.

Enid hits it on the head regarding continual usage. Helps keep things tickety-boo

Ama_1979

Quote from: "Liz"Where is that for £30 Amy - sounds reasonable and mine needs doing, shall we see if they will do a Group Buy discount for us!!

Hi Liz, that was in Leigh On Sea my mum saw it and told me about it, I haven't got a clue what is good and what isn't, Ive got a mobile man calling me back later tonight with a price, when I know Liz I will message you.  If hes reasonable and hes mobile thats even metter eh?

A  s:) :) s:)

Ama_1979

Quote from: "nufc1892"Hi Amy

£30 does indeed sound like a good deal. I had mine done about 6months ago and it makes a huge difference.  

Was blowing at 13oc before hand and after was blowing at 3oc which is Icy!   s8) 8) s8)   One thing to watch out for it your pipes may have a leak. Most garage just simply regass and send you away which won't cure this problem. I used a specialst (about £40 I seem to remember) and he check whole system using a yellow dye and checked things like pressure etc.

Enid hits it on the head regarding continual usage. Helps keep things tickety-boo

Oh thats handy to know..It's not like really poor, I just expected it to be colder esp as I constantly wear sandals I expected my tootsises to freeze he he

A   s:D :D s:D

spit

Anyone know if the DIY kit will do Jap imports? They have a different type of re-gas valve fitting.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

cclarke99

It shouldn't ever need topping up, certainly not on a regular basis. If it does, it must have a leak. I was told that it was illegal to just top up the system without leak checking it and locating the reason for loss of gas.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"Anyone know if the DIY kit will do Jap imports? They have a different type of re-gas valve fitting.

have a look, if it has a large bore schraeder valve, think thats 10mm then they should fit, i can bring mine to chester for the meet if you want to try it Ste

Quote from: "cclarke99"It shouldn't ever need topping up, certainly not on a regular basis. If it does, it must have a leak. I was told that it was illegal to just top up the system without leak checking it and locating the reason for loss of gas.

totally correct, but then when have you ever seen a system that contains fluids that doesn't leak a little when looked at over a period of several years. However the topup kits contain a leak stop formulae in them that aids any leaks as well as topping them up. Technically when you recharge a system you should remove and recycle all the gas and fluid, then leak check and refill. surfice to say just fill the damn thing!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

JSpec have screw fitting I believe Stu.

kanujunkie

so are the large bore schraeders that are fitted to the UK spec, like an oversize car tyre valve
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Oh   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I'll go check. I do know that the garages round here don't have the fittings to match.

kanujunkie

if the j-spec uses R134a then it should have the same connections, but if not i bet there will be some kind of adaptor, remind me and i'll bring it along to chester
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: