40K Service

Started by aluk49, June 19, 2008, 16:04

aluk49

Just been quoted £352 for my 40K service at Eden Bridge Toyota in Letchworth, Herts....  is about the going rate? I was told it's expensive as the plugs are replaced, how much are these plugs!  Also, does any one know if we have a discount agreement with this MrT?

thanks

Al

aaronjb

A quick search shows that quite a few people have paid almost exactly that amount, while a couple of folks have gotten away with about half that..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

I got mine serviced and the bloke said the plugs were good for 100,000 miles and didnt replace them

kanujunkie

100k! seems a bit much to me, 50k perhaps but not 100k
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

normanh

I was quoted £56 to change the plugs on my 2 by an Essex garage even deducting that amount what you have been quoted still seems excessive, none of my services has exceed £230 list price although I have always done my own plugs

normanh

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"100k! seems a bit much to me, 50k perhaps but not 100k

Pretty sure that's the service interval, though I'd need to double check (assuming I can still find my manual!) - they're Iridium tipped.  Mine looked fine after nearly 70k, with the last 5k being turbo..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

uktotty

So would i benefit from new plugs at 70,000 then?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "uktotty"So would i benefit from new plugs at 70,000 then?
I would say so. Ask Mark and Aaron how bad my original set were when taken out at 38K  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

Basic plugs are so cheap, not worth messing around, especially if you can do it yourself.

BTW if anybody is THAT cheap I have a set (pre-turbo) that have done about 18K that anybody can have for the postage.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

DannyN

Quote from: "roger"BTW if anybody is THAT cheap....

Nelix................   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(Danny runs away)
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

normanh

My thoughts are very simple on plugs I buy a good simple brand NGK's and change them every 20K what can be simpler than that, forget having Mr t change them!

normanh

Anonymous

Just mentioning plugs

I was having a look through the NGK catalogue the other day in an effort to choose plugs for my 2.

Couple of strange points

1.  The 1zz fitted to the celica--i.e same engine uses standard ngk plugs about £1.25 each
2.  The same engine as spec'd for our car uses iridium plugs about £7.50 each  s:? :? s:?  

After a lot of deliberation i decided on iridium --Went to change them at the weekend and discovered that the standard ngk ones at £1.50 had been fitted previously  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Therefore dependand on your budget it appears either does

Anonymous

Just for the record, the service schedule says change plugs every 60,000 miles. (shown as an 'additional replacement' on p24)
But, I notice from my last full service invoice (main dealer) that they charged for plugs at 32,000.
I'm not complaining in fact I think I'd prefer them to be changed at a full service otherwise, unless you go diy (which I think I now will), how is and who keeps a record of what's going on?

aaronjb

Quote from: "mic"After a lot of deliberation i decided on iridium --Went to change them at the weekend and discovered that the standard ngk ones at £1.50 had been fitted previously  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Actually it's funny you should say that... I think mine were, too, when I took them out - and the only garage it's ever been serviced at (back when a garage did service it) was Toyota.

Methinks Toyota are putting Celica plugs in the '2 - the engine is the same, I guess the extended service interval is because it's a little harder to get to on the '2 than the Celica.

So mine hadn't been in there for 70K, but more like 40K   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

(Running 1 step colder NGK copper plugs, now)

Draggon

Our 4 year service is due next month and Cheltenham toyota has quoted £305...so about right ish...i have not asked what they will do for that yet though.
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

normanh

My 2 has full dealer service records which is one of the reasons I purchased the car from a Mr T, it too was fitted with NGK copper plugs and the 2 parts distributors that I use only have copper listed, no iridium. Its no big deal to change the plugs even at 20K just practical sense. Mine at 36K were about knackered so I would say these were the originals fitted to the car. I have had no problems using NGK copper.

normanh

aluk49

Unfortunately (fortunately) I had to cancel my 40K service at Mr T in Letchworth. Then in the local paper last week they were offering "Large service with Free Air Conditioning Service" for only £299.95.  So I booked it in. While talking to the young lady on service reception, I enquired what they do in the service.  I said that the 40K service should have the brake fluid drained and replaced as per the schedule and plugs replaced. Reply was "we look at the fluid and if its ok then we don't do that, and if the plugs are iridium, then they are inspected only"  After thinking about it over night I am cancelling again, what am I paying £300 for?  do they look at the oil as well and say that if that looks ok they don't bother either  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  !!!  

Will be visiting my daughter in Chester Bank Hol week...any one know of any good places to take it out up that part of the country?

Two's Company

I've never been to the garage but I always call them when a service is due to get the benchmark price for my local dealer to price match.   s:D :D s:D    So if nothing else they are cheap!

m http://www.carrandgriffiths.co.uk/toyservice.php m

Tags: