Tyre Wear

Started by Anonymous, January 14, 2004, 11:38

Anonymous

Hi just want to make sure that the tyre wear ive experienced on my front wheels is the same as everyone else. the tyre seems to have worn most
on the inside quater of the wheel up to about the first main groove
ive got Brigestone Protensas fitted at the moment.

Peter Laborne

Your tyre pressure and style of driving would help with diagnosis. Ideally tyres should wear evenly, but your own set-up can affect this.

Slacey

This seems to be very common, also the rears sometimes wear uneavenly, with the middle wearing out quicker, even though they are run at correct pressures  s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"This seems to be very common, also the rears sometimes wear uneavenly, with the middle wearing out quicker, even though they are run at correct pressures  s:? :? s:?

A mechanic friend once told me that wide tyres suffer a lot from the centre wearing as centrapetal force chucks the centre out as they spin.

Tem

Quote from: "theWizard"the tyre seems to have worn most on the inside quater of the wheel up to about the first main groove

What Peter was trying to say: "You need to drive the corners faster"  s8) 8) s8)

The tyres are turned "inwards" a bit...it helps them make contact with full surface under hard cornering. But if you don't take corners hard, that setup will end up eating the inner side...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

That is the sort of wear I've had. Symptom of the negative camber of the wheels leaning inwards to help with cornering as Tem mentioned.

Important thing is you have noticed and so won't be mislead by a tread reading.

Anonymous

yep same happened to my front tyres

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lusaka"Important thing is you have noticed and so won't be mislead by a tread reading.

whats a tread reading (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Anonymous

Nothing like reading tea-leaves... honest.

What Tem means is probably the sort of numbers you get on a sheet from Toyota when you take the car in.  A couple of times now they've done a "basic safety" check, checking brakes, lights and tyres.

For the tyres they'll measure the tread depth at the outer edge, centre and inner edge of the tyre and write them on the sheet for you.

I think what Tem was saying was that that is a "tyre reading".

Anonymous

does the car have to have the suggested negative set up ? or can it be changed ?
does this set up mean that the wear is going to be more than it should be ?

Anonymous

Re: tyre reading - just using a tyre depth guage which you can buy from Halfords to read how much tread is left. Worth using rather than waiting for a service - I like to change my tyres at the latest when they have 3mm left. The law is 1.6mm I believe.

As for negative camber, that is intentional as it gives the tyre more contact  with the road when operating under the forces experienced when cornering. Not really an issue unless a four wheel alignment finds it is out of tolerance or you are wanting to save money on tyres but IMHO I bought the car for the driving experience not to worry about economy of tyres   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I say that on the basis that you are not into tuning your car for track racing.

See http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=950 for more info on alignment issues such as camber and a useful link.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lusaka"I like to change my tyres at the latest when they have 3mm left. The law is 1.6mm I believe.

Yep, 1.6mm across the centre three quarters of the tyres.

Tem

Quote from: "Lusaka"I like to change my tyres at the latest when they have 3mm left.

I had 0mm left, when I changed mine  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"I had 0mm left, when I changed mine  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem, you should have seen busters... i think he was into negative figures on his!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Ok i think im with you now.... the wear im getting here is no more excessive that if i had a 0 camber. im just getting this wear pattern because the wheel is "leaning" in at the top meaning that that part of the tyre is the main contact area of the tyre?

[/img]

Tem

Quote from: "theWizard"Ok i think im with you now.... the wear im getting here is no more excessive that if i had a 0 camber. im just getting this wear pattern because the wheel is "leaning" in at the top meaning that that part of the tyre is the main contact area of the tyre?

Yes, you got it now  s:) :) s:)

Oh and kris, I was "beyond" 0mm as well, if that can be considered negative  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Just so i know what sort of milage are people getting out of a set of fronts i got my car second hand from the dealer and im not sure if they were new tyres or not. ive had the car about 5 months and the fronts and rears are pretty worn .. ive done about 10k so far.

Anonymous

Ive done 11k and my fronts are still ok, and ive done a day at north weald air field. Still, im changing them hopefully this weekend for my new toyo proxies.

<edit> oh, my rears are on about 2.5mm MAX at the moment so thats another reason they are getting changed. </edit>

filcee

In my '01 I did just under 15k before replacing the rears.  It was traded for an '03 at 32K, the rears were getting there, and the fronts had the condition you described, so probably should have been changed.  The '01 had Yoko A043s.

I did/do a lot of Mway drving so minimum cornering stress during most of that mileage.  I also liked the Yokos, but then I am the resident 'Miss Daisy' so never troubled the limits (much).  The '03 has Potenzas, done 7k, no sign of needing replacements at either end.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Admittedly, most of my driving (I say MOST, not ALL!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted: ) is on motorways and I STILL have the original Bridgies on it with 20K on the clock. And at its service last week, the treads were STILL WAY withing their limits, 3-4mm maybe? Not long before a change I reckon, but 20K isn't too bad I thought!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Ok feel better about eveything now ... just phone toyota dealer ... the tyres were not new when i bought the car so everything seems quite normal now ...
thanks for everyones input here ... a nice greeting to to forum !

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I STILL have the original Bridgies on it with 20K on the clock. And at its service last week, the treads were STILL WAY withing their limits, 3-4mm maybe? Not long before a change I reckon, but 20K isn't too bad I thought!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D

John.... thats terrible! You should hang your head in shame mate!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I know, I know........I am utterly ashamed of myself.........  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Like I say.....motorway driving and all that.............(walks away very sheepishly with head very low in shoulders muttering under breath.................)........................  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: