Ordered Che Manifold, Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Strut Brace

Started by tom_deas, June 20, 2008, 13:51

enid_b

Quote from: "tom_deas"Thanks for detailed response.

IIRC Che doesn't ship his gaskets anymore due to problems with them so will have to order in from Toyota?

they can usually get them in overnight tom.  so give them 2 days notice at least i would say
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

tom_deas

will do, will do...
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

tom_deas

For reference, anyone doing a search RE these mods and insurance, im 20 w/ 2yr 10mnth full license, 1 non fault claim, 3 pts CU30, and to add all these parts on Bell only charged me an extra £80, INCLUDING the admin charge for sending out a new policy, so c.£55 for these mods  s:) :) s:)  top notch! (premium is £1090, and im listed as full time office worker, part time uni student)
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

tom_deas

**UPDATE**

a lot of mention on spyderchat that che now ships toyota gaskets?? anyone know of the accuracy of this? tried posting on spyderchat but no response - just hoping to get word back before i leave work 5pm and head past the toyota garage... cheers

Kool PT

i'm almost 100% certain that he does - look in the che header thread on spyderchat, it's about 20 pages long but basically a guy complains that his manifold cracks, and discussion takes off from there
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

tom_deas

cheers for quick response

just was gonna say if someone had a definate "no, he doesnt, go down Toyota" then id go down there after i leave in 5mins. no biggie. cheers. will  have time for a detailed read later

Anonymous

I just can't help remembering that it took my main dealer longer to get me the gasket from the UK than it did for Che to get me the manifold from the US   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I also read on SP that he now ships the Toyota type gasket. For what it's worth, I reckon that you could reuse the one you've got if you have to.

ChrisGB

Toyota will refund the cost of the gasket (some dealers may charge a re stocking fee, mine does not) if you return it unopened.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

tom_deas

its a bit of hassle to get to nearest toyota garage. they said they'd take my credit card details over the phone for payment though which i thought was a bit shifty (inchcape toyota basingstoke). they said at a push they could get one in overnight, certainly in 48hrs, so im just gonna take the risk. im working 6 days a week atm - AND this sunday likely - so i doubt ill get a huge opportunity to do the swop this weekend. you gonna be around russ? id imagine its an all day job really...

uktotty

I am on the Southern Softies Run on Sat, which is where you should be, may be around Sunday
Has it all arrived then???

markiii

word of advice get some plus gas (proper stuff)

and soak all teh nuts regurlarly for a week before ytou start dismantling it

other wise the next post you make will be asking what to do about sheared bolts

and order 2 spring loaded bolts for teh backbox joint 90% chance yours will be fubared
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Che does ship with a Toyota gasket for the top end of the manifold so no worries there, mine actually came with the Toyota itam AND the crappy chinese one too. However mine came with none-Toyota bottom end rings and when you compare them to the proper item they're crap. Those are usually very easy to get from Mr T.

The manifolds that have cracked didn't have the bottom braces fitted from the original manifold. Basically they connect the bottom flange of the manifold to the engine block to prevent flexing of the manifold with engine movement and heat. No-one seems to have problems as long as these are in place, so make sure you have them in. They're burgers to get the bolts to move but well worth it.

Again, lots of plusgas on all nuts & bolts for the week before doing the change and a breaker bar would help big time on those pesky bolts holding the bottom braces in place.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

tom_deas

Quote from: "uktotty"I am on the Southern Softies Run on Sat, which is where you should be, may be around Sunday
Has it all arrived then???

i work 6 days a week mate, mondays to fridays at Xtrac (  s:D :D s:D  ) and saturdays at White Stuff (  s:( :( s:(  ) so im only free sundays anyway

hasnt arrived but Fedex tracking service says it *will* arrive *by* 6pm on Thursday. but ive never had fedex delivery before so not sure what the process is - running strong odds of not being home. and then theres always customs issues to potentially complicate matters... but i dunno, hopefully it will be here and sorted for the weekend. i may have work this sunday as well  s:( :( s:(  but i want to get this sorted this weekend if i can. its lightish till 10pm so... i mean shouldnt be *that* big a job its just i always like to budget double my time for complications  s:) :) s:)

shopping list for MrT and my spare time then...

- 2 spring loaded bolts for backbox
- MrT BE rings
- pre soak the bolts daily if at all poss
- fit bottom brace from original manifold (when the time comes)

uktotty

Quote from: "tom_deas"- pre soak the bolts daily if at all poss

That should read Pre Soak in PLUS GAS, do not try and do this with WD40 or KY Jelly

tom_deas

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "tom_deas"- pre soak the bolts daily if at all poss

That should read Pre Soak in PLUS GAS, do not try and do this with WD40 or KY Jelly

yeap, got that

awww, i cant use my excess KY? *trail of thought leads back to the CH5 documentary once more..." EWWWW

northernalex

KY jelly.. on your exhaust pipe.. now I'm worried..

Trust me,, you'll try to take off the manifold bolds.. round one of them.. go to a garage to get it taken off..  If you can do it youself 1st time I'll buy you a pint..

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

muffdan

Fitted my Che header on the first attempt no worries and no bolts caused me an issue either!   s:) :) s:)  Was I just lucky?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

northernalex

Quote from: "muffdan"Fitted my Che header on the first attempt no worries and no bolts caused me an issue either!   s:) :) s:)  Was I just lucky?

Probably.. or have skills I lack  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

tom_deas

Quote from: "northernalex"KY jelly.. on your exhaust pipe.. now I'm worried..

Trust me,, you'll try to take off the manifold bolds.. round one of them.. go to a garage to get it taken off..  If you can do it youself 1st time I'll buy you a pint..

Alex

my exhaust system was replaced by the previous owner under a year ago... and ive lube'd he hell out of those bolts... and they all look brand spanking new anyway. looks like you'll be owing me a pint  s:D :D s:D

oh and ive just reread and im not positive you picked up on sarcasm with the KY... i dont in fact OWN any KY  s;) ;) s;)

recieved all the goodies in the post today. they look so beautiful. heh. bring on sunday and all that!  s:D :D s:D

----------------------------------

tom_deas

Quote from: "Jen Che Lin"The bottom end rings is aluminum material, its not MR.T end rings. Thank you !

1) yeah mate, that'll be fine!
2) don't be a fool, get a MrT
3) hold on laddy, your old bottom end rings are only about 5000 miles and a few months old, its reusable!

obviously mentioned above advised i should get MrT grade, but unfortunately MrT didn't bother to put my order through properly so that, combined with the fact i can't get down there during work hours except on SUNDAYS means i *might* have to wait another 2/3 weeks to fit exhaust. patience is a virtue, but not one i have  s;) ;) s;)  so dont think im being a douche, just wondering if i can push my luck and reuse the old rings  s:) :) s:)  i know the saying "do a job properly" but it unfortunately isnt synonimous with "patience", so if i can get away with the current rings, i may well do that.

muffdan

Go for it.

The worst that will happen is your exhaust will blow. If it's blowing, spend 30 minutes in 2/3 weeks and replace the gaskets then. All you're gambling here is the time it takes.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

uktotty

Wouldnt be the first time he gambled on a blow

tom_deas

Quote from: "muffdan"Go for it.

The worst that will happen is your exhaust will blow. If it's blowing, spend 30 minutes in 2/3 weeks and replace the gaskets then. All you're gambling here is the time it takes.

fair comment. will keep the parts order, hedge a risk on the basis that the main thing is i have a MrT gasket just not MrT rings, and expect it to blow a bit. so long as theres a bit of give (?) in the system, wont be much of a problem to replace the rings without taking apart the entire system anyway. I'm starting a job down the road from me (well, I could walk there in about an hour if im lucky), so i can take the risk of it being undriveable for a few days to a week while I wait for  MrT to get off their fannys

Anonymous

It's getting like a cheap version of Viz in this place lately.

[mod=simon]Biologically correct, but no[/mod]

There, can we stop with the cheap knob gags now?

tom_deas

Quote from: "Ekona"It's getting like a cheap version of Viz in this place lately.

[mod=simon]Biologically correct, but no[/mod]

There, can we stop with the cheap knob gags now?

who wants to grow up eh  s;) ;) s;)

besides, im only just 20 anyway   s:D :D s:D

Tags: