Wot is This ????

Started by crankshaft, January 14, 2004, 13:40

crankshaft

Hi;

Does anybody have any idea what this thing is ??

m http://www.peter-cruickshank.com/mr2stuff/e68.jpg m

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

MRMike

Without a description i'd say it looks to be very similar to the Ecotek CB26P

m http://www.ecotekplc.com/technical.htm m
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I am afraid I don't but whatever it is, that sort of advertising would make me suspicious - kind of car equivalent of snake oil   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Quote from: "Ekotecplc.com"The device works by taking advantage of an effect involving differential pressures known as the 'Venturi' effect, widely used in engineering for flow meters, gas-fired water heating systems and most famously in jet engines. The design of the device, which incorporates two perpendicular tubes with constricted throats conjoined into a T-junction, creates a change in pressure and velocity of the airflow in the centre of the device as the air traverses the tube.

As someone who spends his entire working day up to his armpits in flowmeters, gas-fired water heating systems and not very famous at all jet engines, and has done for the last 10 years, I can honestly say that this is all... ahem,... Bollocks.

All it is a device to let extra combustion air into your inlet. Because this air has bypassed your Air flow meter, the engine will effectively run lean in open loop mode. In closed loop control mode the O2 sensors will detect the surplus of O2 in the exhaust and try to tune it out. In open loop the ECU will revert to its base map and due to the engine having excess combustion air it will run lean, which in turn increases the chance of detonation, and increases combustion temperatures. So to sum up.... Its Bollocks...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

MRMike

Quote from: "GSB"As someone who spends his entire working day up to his armpits in flowmeters, gas-fired water heating systems and not very famous at all jet engines (gas turbines), and has done for the last 10 years, I can honestly say that this is all... ahem,... Bollocks.

Yeah maybe I should have mentioned that I wouldn't recommend buying the Ecotoek, whilst some mags have said it's amazing I personally think like GSB it's pretty crappy.  You also need to cut the brake pipe, and I've heard a lot of hushed reports of peoples brakes not working at all with the device fitted. I'd steer well clear
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Actually those things work just fine, as long as you remember what their main purpose is (to make money  s8) 8) s8) )
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"
Quote from: "GSB"As someone who spends his entire working day up to his armpits in flowmeters, gas-fired water heating systems and not very famous at all jet engines (gas turbines), and has done for the last 10 years, I can honestly say that this is all... ahem,... Bollocks.

Yeah maybe I should have mentioned that I wouldn't recommend buying the Ecotoek, whilst some mage have said it's amazing I personally think like GSB it's pretty crappy.  You also need to cut the brake pipe, and I've heard a lot of hushed reports of peoples brakes not working at all with the device fitted. I'd steer well clear

Indeed. I was just getting to that...

By "cleverly" introducing this device into the vacuum line that runs from the inlet manifold to the brake servo on most cars, you are in effect introducing an air leak to this system. The reduced vacuum caused by this means that you have to put more effort into the pedal. Depending upon the valves mood, (its not linked up to the Engine controls so it pretty much does its own thing) you either get functioning brakes, or brakes that require Fred Flintstone to press the pedal for you. Just what you always wanted when barrelling into a corner... Random Brakes.

Just in case no-ones got it yet, Dont buy anything like this. It invariably doesnt work, and can cause an awful lot of trouble with your engine and othe vehicle systems...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

I know a lot of people don't think the Ecotek is any good and on reflection I probably wouldn't have bought one.  But I have had it installed on 2 seperate roadsters for 4 years with no adverse effects.

Anonymous

I have to disagree with the POS shit point of view on the Ecotec valve. I had one on my last car for a couple of years and found it sharpened up engine response and gave a noticeable improvement in fuel economy with no adverse effect on braking performance.

The point of the unit is to introduce turbulence into the inlet manifold in order to improve combustion rather than to simply provide a means of allowing more air into the intake manifold than is being measured by the MAF sensor. If you look at their web site you will also find that any claimed improvements are backed up by tests carried out by the ministry of transport.

Don't get me wrong, putting one of these on your motor won't give any measurable increase in BHP but for about £50 it does make a difference to throttle response and a measurable difference in fuel economy, which depending upon mileage, means that the unit will have paid for itself in a relatively short period of time. I'm thinking of getting one for our "2" and will keep anyone interested updated

MRMike

Quote from: "RUSTY"I have to disagree with the POS s**t point of view on the Ecotec valve. I had one on my last car for a couple of years and found it sharpened up engine response and gave a noticeable improvement in fuel economy with no adverse effect on braking performance.

The point of the unit is to introduce turbulence into the inlet manifold in order to improve combustion rather than to simply provide a means of allowing more air into the intake manifold than is being measured by the MAF sensor. If you look at their web site you will also find that any claimed improvements are backed up by tests carried out by the ministry of transport.

Don't get me wrong, putting one of these on your motor won't give any measurable increase in BHP but for about £50 it does make a difference to throttle response and a measurable difference in fuel economy, which depending upon mileage, means that the unit will have paid for itself in a relatively short period of time. I'm thinking of getting one for our "2" and will keep anyone interested updated

Well Im also only speaking from experience, I know of a number of garages that categorically will not fit them. And this experience says that for a slight improvement in throttle sharpness, as you said no BHP gains really, it's not worth messing with the brake pipe, as the results could be catastrophic.  I only mentioned about the Ecotek as i didn't want people to feel that by posting the Ecotek i was advocating its use, it was merely meant as a heads up.  I'm glad to see GT and yourself haven't had any problems and I hope god forbid everyone who has one never has a problem.

Just my opinion ! I wasnt telling anyone what to have on their cars  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

mph

If they worked as advertised, why don't car manufacturers, whom spend millions on flow analysis, don't already do this?
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"If they worked as advertised, why don't car manufacturers, whom spend millions on flow analysis, don't already do this?

Must be the same reason they dont' put any of those miracle cure oil additives in their engines Martin, they're mean...  s;) ;) s;)

Aaron (not a fan of oil additives  s:D :D s:D )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

GSB

If you wanted to induce turbulence in your inlet stream, the best way would be to have a very convoluted inlet tract, and plenty of excess casting flashing and rough surfaces in the manifold and head.

Which, more by fluke than design, the '2 already has plenty of...

Tem

There was this test in local magazine a year or two ago. They tested all these wonder-gadgets, like this one and the magnets around the fuel lines and grounding cables and whatever.

The grounding cables worked on a car from 60's. They poked around a bit more and noticed that just installing a decent stock wires made the same difference and were only 10% of the hypersuperextrabrightredcables.

They did find one thing that actually reduced your fuel usage! A soft sponge that was put behind the gas pedal  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

crankshaft

Hmmmm.....

Well thanx for clearing up what it is, there's obviously a lot of different opinions on whether it will bring any benefits, so i guess I will skip this one !

I guess I had better not mention the 'cyclone' then  :-) :-) :-)

m http://www.cyclone2.co.kr/ m

Cheers

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

Tags: