Engine Warning Light/OBD II Reader

Started by gavw71, June 27, 2008, 21:19

gavw71

Cleaned MAF sensor earlier this week (Tuesday) using carb cleaner spray and re-set ECU by disconnecting battery negative lead. Started car on Thursday morning and found engine warning light stayed on. The wife had driven car on Wednesday but wasn't sure if the engine warning light was on then.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Bought electrical contact cleaner from Halfords on way home from work on Thursday and cleaned MAF/reset ECU again. Engine warning light stayed off until I was on my way home from work on Friday, when it then chose to re-appear.
So after a quick search on here and a trawl through eBay, I came across and ordered the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290240057243&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Seems to be a bargain at this price, which is one of the reasons I'm posting. I'm also jumping the gun a little to see if anyone has any possible opinions on what the problem could be.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

Anonymous

Not a clue without reading the code (which that machine will do), but I'll take a stab in the dark at a P0141, which is a duff 3rd O2 sensor. But it might not be that, I'm just going for the obvious one.

muffdan

Quote from: "Ekona"Not a clue without reading the code (which that machine will do), but I'll take a stab in the dark at a P0141, which is a duff 3rd O2 sensor. But it might not be that, I'm just going for the obvious one.

I concur, sounds like the either the 3rd o2 sensor or the cat gone. Will know more when you've pulled the code.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

uktotty

In answer to your question £20 sounds like a bargain, maybe a little under functional and has no serial port for pc connection

Wabbitkilla

Depends where you are in West Yorkshire, but if you'd asked i would've either read the code or loaned you one of my code readers this week as i've been taking the car to work.

I'll be on the train next week unfortunately - heading into Leeds.

Safe money on P0141 methinks
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

gavw71

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Depends where you are in West Yorkshire, but if you'd asked i would've either read the code or loaned you one of my code readers this week as i've been taking the car to work.

Thanks for the offer Wabbitkilla, but I'd looked through the list of members with readers and I think you're a little too far away (I live near Pontefract.)
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

Wabbitkilla

'sok, offer's there if you want it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Good price for that reader BTW - they come in handy when mates have problems too.
Mine's beenused on Seat, VW, and Vauxhall since i got it for various friends.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

gavw71

Code reader arrived today, I've read the code and it is P0141. Now looking for a good deal on a 3rd O2 sensor.  s:| :| s:|

Anonymous

Quote from: "gavw71"Code reader arrived today, I've read the code and it is P0141. Now looking for a good deal on a 3rd O2 sensor.  s:| :| s:|

It's not so much a good deal you should be looking for - more the quality and the ease of fitting - no soldering etc. Look to the US, there is also a thread telling you where to buy from if you "search" on here.

Thanks
Rob.

uktotty

You can also bin that code for about 40pence and a resistor like I did

roger

Here you are Gav, and another search will probably reveal the resistor trick.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19412&hilit=RESISTOR
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

gavw71

Quote from: "roger"Here you are Gav, and another search will probably reveal the resistor trick.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19412&hilit=RESISTOR

Cheers Roger, found that earlier. I tried "Rock Auto" mentioned in Wabbitkilla's post, but they no longer stock the Beck/Arnley sensor he got. Found the sensor on the B/A website, but when you add it to the basket, you get prompted to login in, with no sign of how to register!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   Looks like I may be aswell emailing them.

I'm also going to look into the resistor method of fixing the problem. What I've seen upto now seems to suggest that changing the sensor is no guarantee that the issue will be solved.

Jigwar

AutoMedicsSupply are a good bet.

Ordered twice from them now and no probs with ordering, delivery, fitting, etc etc. 'Bout £60 for an OEM part.

HTH

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

Resistor fix works for me. I've had no trouble in about 8 months since I had it done at the Spitstop...   s:D :D s:D

gavw71

Think I'll probably go with AutoMedics. The ones they're supplying at the minute are Walker and from what I've read they seem to work fine, although if anybody knows different, please say!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wabbitkilla

Walkers produce OEM items for many manufacturers, indeed their one's for the 2 look exactly the same as the OEM items so i'm happy to bet they are the OEM items just re-labelled for Toyota. Walker have a very good reputation from what i've read on t'interweb so i reckon they're safe to go with.

There's at least one other owner who's used them recently and they haven't reported any problems.

Go for it and let us know.

gavw71

Ordered a new sensor from AutoMedics this evenning for $74 which should work about £38 (I'll know when Visa statement comes!)
Also found this, http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=1766, think I'll be getting one as there's a few Wilco stores around where I live.

gavw71

Quick update. O2 sensor ordered on Monday evenning, arived on Friday. Fitted sensor today, wires easy to make-off, worst part of the job was re-routing the wire back up to the connector behind the brake light (could do with hands the size of a 4 year old on 6 foot long arms.) Took the car out for 20-25 mins and the CEL stayed off, although when I've reset the code before, the CEL stayed off until I was on my way home from work, which is about 15-20 mins each way.

muffdan

The fuel system has to be in closed loop (engine warm) and that particular code has to be triggered twice (once per drive), so if the light is still off after completing two 20 minute drives, you know you've sorted it!

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

gavw71

Quote from: "muffdan"The fuel system has to be in closed loop (engine warm) and that particular code has to be triggered twice (once per drive), so if the light is still off after completing two 20 minute drives, you know you've sorted it!

Done numerous drives when the engine has reached running temp. and the CEL is still off - touches wood whilst feeling rather chuffed!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chris

did you buy the OE sensor or the universal one?  there's quite a price difference!!

edit:  ok just read the generic comments thread and seen that both types have been used before... i think i'll try the cheaper option in that case - assuming that it's still plug and play and doesn't require any cutting/splicing/farting about with wires?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

edit 2: ok having checked some of the links from the comments thread, it seems that the universal ones need playing with the put the connectors on the end, so me thinks it's an OE one for me...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

gavw71

Chris, I bought the universal, which is $40 cheaper - I'm from Yorkshire and I wouldn't be able to sleep if I'd parted with another 40 bucks for the sake of putting a plug on!  s:D :D s:D  
It really isn't hard to graft the sensor onto your original plug but you pay your money and you take your choice.
The bottom line is, you should end up with no CEL and a lot more cash left in your pocket than if you'd been to see Mr.T!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

i just brought OE sensor   s:D :D s:D   but its price is little bit high.

Anonymous

Has anyone tried one of these yet?
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1725wt_939 m

tennisfreak

Just ordered one, will let you know asap

Tags: