H & S Exhausts Different Types NA & Turbo

Started by DAZ400, January 15, 2004, 12:38

DAZ400

I have been to H & S to have my exhaust fitted today but when I arrived and they saw my turbo they said the pipe we have made you won't be any good you need a higher flow rate and ideally a high flow cat. Now this was my fault as I assumed that the pipes they were making for us for the 2 would be less restrictive and high performance and would be suitable for NA and turboed, I should of mentioned the turbo and never assume anything as they say assumption is is the mother of all f**k ups. So a general warning if you intend to turbo your car later and a number of you are interested in the TTE turbo it may be worth considering the requirements needed for turboed cars. I have now ordered from them a high flow cat and larger tube pipe which will be suitable for turboed cars and with mine the NOS as well. This does add extra cost to the pipe but is future proof so any in the second group buy might wont to a have a think about the spec.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

markiii

so how much did you pay?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DAZ400

I have been quoted a grand now, I think a lot of the extra cost is the high flow cat core which I think they buy in. It is a lot of money now but I do have the NOS as well and am moving to a hotter climate so don't really want to take any risks.

GSB

Hmmm.

Whilst the Hayward and Scott Exhaust, (in the form that is subject to a group buy at present) is undoubtedly less restrictive and more "high performance" than the stock unit, its wasnt designed with a turbo installation in mind. It's designed specifically as a cat back system for NA cars. Thats not to say it wont work and yield results on any turbo kit that was designed to integrate with the stock silencer, but H&S would be able to achieve far greater things given a clean sheet of paper...

The fundamental principals of operation of a NA exhaust versus a Turbo exhaust are a bit different to say the least, I'm surprised you negelected to even mention that fact that your MR2 is "a little different" to the one they developed the silencer on...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

DAZ400

To be honest I can't remember if I mentioned the turbo I probably did. The order was placed back in november and I dealt with the lady there not one of the engineers in hindsight this was my mistake. But with this they still did not get my order right I wanted it fitted and they were going to deliver it and I wanted ovals and they made slash cut round I think alot of confusion with my order all round.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "DAZ400"To be honest I can't remember if I mentioned the turbo I probably did. The order was placed back in november and I dealt with the lady there not one of the engineers in hindsight this was my mistake. But with this they still did not get my order right I wanted it fitted and they were going to deliver it and I wanted ovals and they made slash cut round I think alot of confusion with my order all round.
Did you have to pay anything for this mess up as they have a spare exhaust? And if it is 3.5" round slashed I would be very interested in buying the system they have made for you. Who should I contact?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

mph

From what I've seen of most turbo kits, you'll be wanting a replacement pipe right back to the turbo itself. For the power we're putting out, that'll be a 2 1/2" pipe throughout. The stock CAT is a huge restriction for the flow rates the turbo generates.

Having had problems with my custom exhaust, ensure that the new design (which doesn't have to follow any of the old pipework) can take rather large amount of movement the engine has.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: