Yellow Headlights

Started by Anonymous, July 15, 2008, 17:37

Anonymous

Ok, I have a car 2003 and the yellowish headlight effect cannot be removed.

I tried PLASTX as many people suggested here, but it just improves a little.

In any occasion, yellowish is there, especially during night when I turn on the lights.

I dont want to do sanding, sound risky for me.

Therefore I was if there is any aftermarket headlight plastic that could replace the original.
What  if we could make a replica? Is that possible? Maybe of plexiglass using somethign for protection so it does not turn yellow.
How many people have those headlights turning yellowish ? Is it just me?

I asked at MRT and they only offer the plastic cover for the rear lights only.
It's a pitty having such a great car and have yellowish headlights.
I think it's they only thing that shows it's age!

muffdan

Try Chris at  w www.cheaptoyotapartsco.uk w , I think he's quoted other members £85 per light for facelift cars.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

I dont want a new headlight, cause of the cost.

I want to know if it's possible to make easily (by a proffesional) replicas of the covers.

So we bake, remove the old ones, glue the new ones and we have a new headlight!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "SimosSpyder"I dont want a new headlight, cause of the cost.

I want to know if it's possible to make easily (by a proffesional) replicas of the covers.

So we bake, remove the old ones, glue the new ones and we have a new headlight!

Making a mould and forming the new covers will cost a lot more than a replacement headlight shell.

A couple of questions:

1 has the light cover itself become yellow? If so this is due to UV light damaging the plastic.

2 Are the bulbs just old and tired? Some headlight bulbs can look very yellow.

A couple of suggestions:

1 If the light covers are yellow, use a glass cutting compound, a very fine abrasive to clean the covers. (test to make sure the lens does not go milky)

2 try brake fluid wiped onto them and polished off after a short soak. I heard that one from an African guy, but it is supposed to help reduce yellowing of the plastic caused by exposure to UV light. Keep it well away from paintwork though.

3 If the lenses are OK and it is just the bulbs, perhaps a set of Philips Xtreme vision or Osram nightbreakers could help?
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Thanks for your answer.
It is just the cover shell.

I think this is the only thing on my car that shows it's age (5 year old car).

onion86

Quote from: "SimosSpyder"Thanks for your answer.
It is just the cover shell.

I think this is the only thing on my car that shows it's age (5 year old car).

That sucks, We don't have that problem in England sue to the lack of sun  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Like's been said it'd cost waay more to get new covers made professionally than buying the whole headlight. Try one of the two things listed by Chris hopefully sort it out  s:) :) s:)  Let us know.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Tags: