Replacing rear toe-in adjusters

Started by Wabbitkilla, July 22, 2008, 21:03

Wabbitkilla

Ok peeps, last time i was at Demon Tweeks to get the alignment checked they found my osr adjuser was siezed up with rust.

The car's a 2003 with 45000miles on it.
They managed to adjust it in - nearly, but still not quite right, he didtry - i was watching!

S i thought, I'll replace them both - how hard can it be.
I ordered the partsfrom Cheaptoyotaparts and they arrived in good order.

So tonight i gave it a ty, carefully photographing the position of the cams before startin so i can put them back in the same position.
Car jacked up at the back and on stands to get enough space to work.
NSR came out nicely and i slipped the replacement in with a spear of copperslip along he lenth of the bolt, being careful not to get any on the cam surfaces.
OSR - wat a little ba$&*rd! Turns out it's siezed in the bush with rust, i managed to get the nut and outer cam off, but that's as far as i got after 2 hours work.
i can turn it with extreme effort, but it's turning the bush in the arm, the whole thing!

Smacking it with a lump hammer got me nowhere, so it's soaking in WD40 for the night (it's the only kind of penetrating oil i have handy) and given good weather i'll try again tomorrow night. And on, and on, and on....

Suggestions would be welcome, bigger hammer will need me to take it to a garage, so i may be joining Ste on friday.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

Only one I have is "bigger hammer".

One of Phil's (not the toe adjuster, but the one you remove to fit the RMB) was seized in - when we finally got it out (much turning, hammering, swearing and cursing) it came out completely devoid of thread - the bush insert had stripped it completely, it was that full of corrosion..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

yeah and I still owe you for that by the way.

Certain places under the car look to have suffered quite badly from rust.

Im getting used to it though, this is my 3rd imported MR2 and they all look great when they first get to England. Then the salt and rain gets to work on the underside   s:( :( s:(

Philster.

Anonymous

Nic

My offer stands - one pair of new adjustable bars - yours to have until you sort out the problem. All you need to do is cut the old bolt out  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

I'm in Warrington on Thursday - I can drop them off at Ste's if you want them.

Rob.

Wabbitkilla

Thanks Rob - top chap, can you have a word with Ste and arrange dropping them off in case i ruin mine getting this bolt out?

If i can get away without using them, then you can obviously have them back, but if i need them, I'll replace them.
Such a pain just before going awy on holiday - in the car!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Thanks Rob - top chap, can you have a word with Ste and arrange dropping them off in case i ruin mine getting this bolt out?

If i can get away without using them, then you can obviously have them back, but if i need them, I'll replace them.
Such a pain just before going awy on holiday - in the car!

No problem Nic, I'll call Ste tomorrow and make the arrangements. Good Luck.

Rob.

Anonymous

Nic

Had a quick chat with Ste, he seemed to think I was talking about my old rear bars, these bars are my new Megan bars I've not fitted - do you still want them dropping off?????

Thanks
Rob.

spit

Quote from: "FGRob"Had a quick chat with Ste, he seemed to think

I don't do thinking any more  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

Gents,##Calm down it's only a........ doesn't work does it?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Yes Rob, i know it's your Megan bars, no worries - if i have to use them i'll order replacements for you (read 'if' as yes - most likely).
Ste wasn't aware you hadn't fitted them yet, probably wondering why you haven't   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So yes i still want them, no mine still hasn't come out tonight, but at least i'm not working 10ish hours tonight now.

My plan is for Rob to drop them with Ste.
I'm going to Charlesworth friday afternoon to con my way into getting my old adjuster removed and it'll most likely have damaged the bush so will shove the new Megan bars in then. Demon Tweeks tuesday afternoon for an alignment, wednesday off on holiday.
Back in 2 weeks after that to sort out the remains.

Thanks to both of you for your help   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Gents,##Calm down it's only a........ doesn't work does it?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Yes Rob, i know it's your Megan bars, no worries - if i have to use them i'll order replacements for you (read 'if' as yes - most likely).
Ste wasn't aware you hadn't fitted them yet, probably wondering why you haven't   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So yes i still want them, no mine still hasn't come out tonight, but at least i'm not working 10ish hours tonight now.

My plan is for Rob to drop them with Ste.
I'm going to Charlesworth friday afternoon to con my way into getting my old adjuster removed and it'll most likely have damaged the bush so will shove the new Megan bars in then. Demon Tweeks tuesday afternoon for an alignment, wednesday off on holiday.
Back in 2 weeks after that to sort out the remains.

Thanks to both of you for your help   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

No problem - just thought I'd check - they are all boxed up and in the car so it'll be after 5pm tomorrow Ste.

I just brought them as the exchange rate is pretty good at the mo, I'm not fitting them until I've had the chassis member powder coated over winter.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Rob

Wabbitkilla

owder coutin the chassis member!
Why didn't Toyota think of that?

Doh!

Thanks Rob

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"owder coutin the chassis member!
Why didn't Toyota think of that?

Doh!

Thanks Rob

Same reason they did use anti - spatter spray - and no this is not something you spray after a good curry  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Rob

markiii

good luck with it nic

last one I had to do we had to cut out

even then we had to burn the rubber out and replace teh bush

when they stick they really really stick
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Well, many thanks to Rob for lending me his Megans, because - yes Mark - we had to burn the rubber out and cut the darned little burger out.  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  
Not before the subframe was damaged though!

Anyway, i can go on holiday as planned on wednesday safely now.
One change to holiday plans is that my overnight in Newcastle on wednesday will see me getting off to Gtschris in Bedlington to collect a replacement subframe which i'll leave at the folks to pick up on the way home from Scotland. It'll be powder coated before going in too and Megan (or who-ever else produces them) camber arms too.

TBH the only real advantage of the Megan toe-in arms is the ball joint which replaces the oem rubber job.
You can't adjust them with their built in adjustment once in place due to the design of the subframe shrouding one of the lock nut arrangements.
So you're only getting half the advantage they should offer - but they do look pretty  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The camber arms will probably be better.
Oh and on the way home i slowed down for a wabbit to let it get out of the way, i must be going mad after all this!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Well, many thanks to Rob for lending me his Megans, because - yes Mark - we had to burn the rubber out and cut the darned little burger out.  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  
Not before the subframe was damaged though!

Anyway, i can go on holiday as planned on wednesday safely now.
One change to holiday plans is that my overnight in Newcastle on wednesday will see me getting off to Gtschris in Bedlington to collect a replacement subframe which i'll leave at the folks to pick up on the way home from Scotland. It'll be powder coated before going in too and Megan (or who-ever else produces them) camber arms too.

TBH the only real advantage of the Megan toe-in arms is the ball joint which replaces the oem rubber job.
You can't adjust them with their built in adjustment once in place due to the design of the subframe shrouding one of the lock nut arrangements.
So you're only getting half the advantage they should offer - but they do look pretty  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The camber arms will probably be better.
Oh and on the way home i slowed down for a wabbit to let it get out of the way, i must be going mad after all this!

Glad you got it sorted Nic, bit of a tough break with regard to the subframe, but you will be better off with it being powder coated.

Yep you are right about the Megan, I told Ste about the adjusting problem, it's the same problem with any of the toe in adjuster bars, you can't get in to the inboard locking nut, it's a known problem on SC. But when all three tie bars are fitted they do look very nice   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

The big advantage is the pillow ball end connection, I have noticed a big difference with just the two I've got fitted so that's why I've gone for the full set.

Enjoy your holiday.

Rob.

Wabbitkilla

Right, so i know the way forward, everything's in working order - just going to get another subframe, powder coat and fit with Megan camber bars.

I still had a wierd weave in left hand bends like something was loose on the osr suspension.
We had the car over the pit today and found the osr 2s-r-us droplink lower ball joint had loads of play in it.
Swapped it for one of Ste's and the weave has gone.

Comparing Ste's oler ones for mine the bolt from the ball is a smaller diameter by 1mm on mine, so i wonder if 2s-r-us have downsized them and thus they're not up to the job. I'll email them tomorrow for a replacemetn, but it's darned crap to have something like this and doesn't instil confidence in the quality of the other side droplink.

Anonymous

I've had mine fitted for well over a year now, never noticed any play, the only problem I had was the nuts were going a little rusty  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  So it does sound like they have either changed the supplier / make or reduced the quality, which on such an important part is unacceptable.

Rob

spit

Time for us to check those joints methinks.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Rob .... could you root out the contact details of the engineering firm you used to source a replacement for your C-one joint? It'd be handy to know if they can supply beefed up replacements for the droplinks too.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Time for us to check those joints methinks.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Rob .... could you root out the contact details of the engineering firm you used to source a replacement for your C-one joint? It'd be handy to know if they can supply beefed up replacements for the droplinks too.

Sorry Ste forgot about this, any way the company I used was ABC (Autosport Bearings & Components) web link is  m http://www.autosport-bearings.co.uk/ m  They are agents for Fluro in Germany, here is there web link which contains all the technical bits and sizes.  m http://www.fluro.de/FLUROHoehnHome.htm m   They are a bit expensive but one hell of a bearing.

Thanks
Rob.

Tags: