YOKOHAMA vs BRIDGESTONES

Started by gun41, July 25, 2008, 14:40

gun41

Hi sorry i know the topic of tyres has been hammered to death

but..... struggling with a decision around which of these tyres to get. I need all 4 replacing

what would you go for?
2005 55 Plate, Silver, Red Leather Seats, TTE Style Bar, TTE Rear Sports spoiler, Chrome Fuel Surround

markiii

yokos are fab in teh dry crap in the wett

bridgestones are better in teh wet, but tramline like a sod

since you have wheels that can cope I suggest neither, get Yokahama Advan Neovas in S1 Elise Sizes

should costs you about teh same

and they are teh best tire I've used period
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Found this website (on a slow Friday afternoon!) http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Could help. I notice Falken FK452 comes up good, AND they are about 20% cheaper than Toyos. Food for thought.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Chris_h

Just as an aside  - and an addition to Mark's comments. I have had the Bridgstones on 3 cars now and found that on the post 03 they don't tramline at all - but on my 00 cars they were a nightmare! (tight grip on wheel required for all undulating roads).

Personally I love them and the standard Yokos, but all seem to agree the Advan Neovas are a big step up. Personally didnt like the Toyo's as much (i have had 3 sets RE040, 1* A043 and 1* Proxy T1R), but its highly subjective as some love 'em and they are great value.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

StuM

Quote from: "Chris_h"....but on my 00 cars they were a nightmare! (tight grip on wheel required for all undulating roads)

Ah... same on my '01 car - has RE040s on the front and it tramlines badly.  Need to make some changes to mine as currently has Hankook tyres on the back (I know   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:     s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  ) and was going to put RE040's on the back to match up all 4 tyres.. but don't want the tramlining, so might have to rethink.

I presume the Advan Neovas are only suited to post '03 cars which have the same 15/16" F/R wheel sizes as the Elise?
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

markiii

Quote from: "StuM"
Quote from: "Chris_h"I presume the Advan Neovas are only suited to post '03 cars which have the same 15/16" F/R wheel sizes as the Elise?

yep
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

enid_b

if you are not used to a soft side wall i would steer well clear of the toyos, yes the grip on them is fabulous in the wet and dry, and no they dont tramline like a set of bridgestones.

but this soft flexiness is like the car turns a corner twice, and can be unnerving to the faint hearted.

fortunately, as i am the stig i have learnt to master this new technique.  as i suspect you are a mere mortal then buy the yokos.

lol

ok, so the bit about the grip and sidewalls is true, the rest, draw your own conclusions.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Silverman

Getting cheesed off with this summer's amazon (and amazin') rainfall, I changed from Yoko's to Potenzas, all round, about four weeks ago.  My 04 MR2 was then tried out for two/three weeks in mostly wet conditions and I very much like the 'feel' of the 040's.  As yet, no tramlining probs.  Ride seems a little softer and grip is sweet, wet or dry, in my view.  Only problem with all this wet weather stuff is that the little darlin' gets mucky and has to be cleaned!
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

gun41

thanks everyone for your comments very helpful as usual
think i will end up going for the bridgestones again but have another couple of weeks to decide before my 1st MOT

best price so far

Rear - Bridgestones 215/45/16 £98 / Yokohama £103
Front - Bridgestone 185/55/15 £78 / Yokohama £62
 £352 vs £330
2005 55 Plate, Silver, Red Leather Seats, TTE Style Bar, TTE Rear Sports spoiler, Chrome Fuel Surround

Anonymous

If they are available, and I do say "if" you might want to look at the Toyo R1R  s:D :D s:D  

Rob

Tags: