02 sensor trouble and funny smell

Started by Anonymous, July 28, 2008, 19:21

Anonymous

Hi Guys n Girls

I read markii excellent guide on spraying your heat shield and thought id have a go so off i went.

Removed the left hand 02 sensor no problem straight out, came to the right one and it seemed if the socket was bending i was using that much force so decided to try and remove the heat shield with the right hand sensor left in (disconnecting the other end). This worked and i had a look at the o2 sensor and it seems that who ever put it back in (maybe when precats where removed) had a bong eye or was pissed because that's how it has gone in.

I give it a good dowsing in wd40 and left it for a couple of hours then went back but it still will not budge and the socket started to round the head of the bolt so i stopped there. When the heat shield was dry i managed to refit it although i did scratch it due to clearance issues (o2 sensor)

The car runs great no problem no engine management light etc fewwwww, so i thought I'll take this opportunity to replace the manifold but would need help from you guys as i'm not sure who makes the best kit for them they are some on flee bay anyone used them?

I knew because I had dowsed the o2 sensor in wd there would be smoke for a little bit while it burnt off from the manifold etc but when driving to the body shop today and looking into the engine bay there is still a little smoke and a bit of a smell is this normal when you paint your heat shields?

The paint I used was from b and q for use upto 1300c and was designed to spray fire coals.

Thanks guys n girls for your help

spit

You should be fine with that paint, and any smell/smoke will ease eventually.

As for replacement manifolds, you really do get what you pay for. Best one I've seen has to be the Zero (ask FGRob or DannyN for details). Ché 'makes' (via China!) a cheaper manifold, and its this that you can also find on EBay.

Have a hunt around here using the search facility and you'll soon come across info on pros/cons/views etc. You may have a better crack at the cross-threaded O2 sensor with the manifold assembly off, but there's also info knocking about on generic replacements that work/don't work/work with fettling. Good luck.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

StuM

Quote from: "flying-spanner"I give it a good dowsing in wd40 and left it for a couple of hours....

It would be worth having a go with Plusgas, which is better than WD40 at that type of thing.

Good luck,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

kanujunkie

wd40 is only any use as a light lubricant or as a water penetrant, not as a thread penetrant and lubricant, plus gas or freeway or something thats designed for the job will work much better, but to be honest with those faults i'd leave it in unless its failed as your going to need to retap those threads
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

uktotty

Quote from: "flying-spanner"This worked and i had a look at the o2 sensor and it seems that who ever put it back in (maybe when precats where removed) had a bong eye or was pissed because that's how it has gone in.

Mine were also fitted cockeyed I beleive at MrT and they are not moving at all!
Like the guys say, if its not broken dont fix it, I actually got my pre-cats out with the O2 sensor in place.
Use a proper penetrating agent for any stiff nuts and bolts as WD40 merely means Water Displacement 40 days.

roger

Quote from: "uktotty"Mine were also fitted cockeyed I beleive at MrT and they are not moving at all!
Like the guys say, if its not broken dont fix it, I actually got my pre-cats out with the O2 sensor in place.

-- ditto -- . It eventually got taken out by SP with a v. high temperature torch when I swopped manifolds.

I still have it at home. Reckon the sensor is OK (so I'm keeping that as a spare), but the nut bit looks more like the edge of a £1 coin (rough and circular)   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: